New People We Have Met Recently

Discussion in 'People I Have Known' started by Don Alaska, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We had a small world occurrence today. The sales rep for our new home invited his entire mailing list for a cookout. It was really hot so we secured seats at a table in a covered pavilion. Pretty soon, another couple came over to share the table. We got to talking with them and it turns out they will be our new neighbors when we move. They live directly across the street. AND, he’s a big metal fan and even knows Nightwish. Small world.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Funny how things work out.

Thomas Windom likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We have had a lot of new people moving here recently, and I think it is largely due to the TV programs. If anyone here is considering moving here. visit during at least the summer and winter and view in person any property you are purchasing. Just doing that would save a lot of anxiety and frustration. I myself didn't actually do that, but my family is of an adventurous nature and we were fully briefed by my employer prior to the move.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I thought you thought the couple might have been running from something. If that were the case maybe he could not go back even if he wanted?
    Yesterday was the first day this year I was bothered a little by mosquitoes. Normally 5 o'clock sends the animals running for the barn. I don't think I could stand your summers. And I am too old for your winters as romantic as reality tv makes Alaska seem.o_O

Last edited: Jul 15, 2023
    Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I have said that folks who move here are either running TO something, or running AWAY from something. I never know which. The TV programs just give people an unrealistic view of Alaska. The further you get away from Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Juneau, the more unrealistic it gets. When I lived in the bush, I remember how wonderful a salad tasted when we got a shipment of fresh lettuce in. Salmon 4 or 5 times a week in various guises for three years made me never want to have it again. Even the natives craved a white-fleshed fish once in a while. Anchorage reminds me a lot of Minneapolis as I remember it, but outside the city does not resemble Minnesota at all except for the cold (but shorter) winters in Minnesota. My brother-in-law just visited for the first time this summer. I asked him what surprised him most about Alaska, and he responded "the mountains and the trees. I didn't expect to see so many mountains and trees." We gifted him an Alaska Magazine subscription for several years, but he must never have looked at them. He has never lived outside Iowa, although he has visited a few places. We drove to one of the passes, and my wife (his sister) hit him with a few snowballs IN JULY. I suspect that was a new experience for him as well.:)

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yeah, you're not going to see a whole lot of mountains or trees in Iowa. I lived in Iowa for nearly a year, and pretty much all that I saw was corn. Nearly ever house and town was surrounded by corn.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

In a twist to the "New People" story, his death has now been labeled "Suspicious, Possible Homicide" by the medical examiner. Circumstances are weirder since he emptied the joint account except for a few hundred dollars prior to his death.

Hedi Mitchell and John Brunner like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

The plot thickens...

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Gee, there's lots of ways to fill in those blanks. I wonder if distancing oneself from the widow might be prudent. She could either be a perp or a target.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My reply is to the very first post of Don's about the people from Texas .. Austin and San Antonio area. They would have been somewhere on the 259 from Austin and I-10 going into San Antonio and it would be like 90 miles west of San Antonio and most likely at the exit from Llano Tx. That is all cattle and sheep ranchers along that 259 highway to Austin. Really beautiful country and most of the highway is fenced both sides of the highway, it don't stop all the white tail deer from jumping fences so night time driving can be extremely hazardous. I've been all over that country over the decades. It was still pretty country style living in 2005 my last trip thru there. :D

11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We were wondering the same thing, but with my wife's church job she really can't distance herself.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

A few weeks ago, we met a young lady in her 40's (I think) that had been in the Air Force. Thing is, she was first an enlistee, made it to Master Sergeant. She direly wanted to fly, so ask for, and received an Officer's Commission. She ended up retiring from the Air Force as a Lt. Colonel.

Mary Stetler and Nancy Hart like this.
  13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Don Alaska - for some reason when you announced the Texas man committed suicide I was suspicious then.
    I respect the fact you caution others before trying to move to Alaska,as you have lived there long time. I am curious though what was so appealing then about moving there- or staying there, if the winter and lifestyle is a hardship at times.

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Since Don didn't mention any town, it's hard to say. I'm not familiar with "259" but I know that I-35 runs between Austin and San Antonio. Lots of little towns along that stretch like San Marcos, New Braunfels, etc. in the beautiful Hill Country. Anyone moving from that area of TX to AK is bound to have a culture shock.

At any rate, it's tragic that the man lost his life. @Don Alaska -- do they have any suspects in his death?

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I think they have now classified him as a suicide again. I don't know what made them suspect homicide, but his wife now says they have put his death back into the suicide column. His body has been released and his funeral is on Saturday. They were from the San Antonio area, but I don't know the town or city. I don't know how she will manage alone. Wife has been to their cabin, and she says it is up a steep dirt road and driveway. I don't know how the wife can possibly live there now through an Alaska winter. Hopefully, she will change her living arrangements here or return to Texas where she has family