Needing A Break

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Von Jones, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My grandson has been feeling a bit glum not his usual inquistive self. I walk him to his bus stop for school each morning. The conversation has been all about the bus not coming or he doesn't want to go to school that day. Of course I ask him if something happened at school with classmates but that's not the case. He said he didn't like the substitute teacher and wishes his regular teacher would come back and other things that he doesn't like about her. Then yesterday he said he needed a break from school and somehow I understood that. I told him that he needs to talk to his Dad about that. I received a call early this morning from Dad stating that Clayton will be staying home today. "Ma, he just came out and said he needed a break." :rolleyes:

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Hope his regular teacher comes back soon. How old is he?

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Same question here
    Its good he said what was bothering him, no good when they clam up, so that's a good sign :)

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

He will be 10 years old this month. I think that with all the changes (bussed to new school, subsitute teacher, new baby sister) it is a lot. I know he wants to be home with her and his other two sisters. I'm glad that he spoke with his Dad about not wanting to go to school today.A lot of the time he will share with his Papa and me before he talks to his Dad about things. Oh the subjects that he shares :eek:.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have one that's 10 also, he's my son's oldest.

My oldest 2 grandson's share everything with me, they trust me and I don't betray their trust unless I see that it's something I should tell my daughter.

It's funny how open they are with me considering they are boys.

@Von Jones , yes, I can see with a new sister and everything how he'd want to stay home.

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

A 10-year old boy seemingly in adolescent age crisis already, huh. But maybe he's got good reasons for taking a break. I know of some cases where a grade school pupil doesn't want to attend classes because of a classmate who is bullying him. Another case is the pressure that the teacher has been putting on him. Nevertheless, a break will definitely do that boy some good. And if some adults have the time, perhaps you can bring him to a park or a zoo to unwind.

Von Jones likes this.
  7. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

As long as the "break" doesn't become habitual, I see no problem with that. I should have just told my parents I needed a break from school one in a while. I always had to pretend to be sick!:p One time I overdid it, and came out asking for some vivarin...and my dad made me go to school! I hope your grandson feels better after his break and wants to go to school again soon!

Von Jones likes this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

He was limited to staying at home that day until his Dad returned from work. When I saw him he was in good spirits. I'll just have to wait until Monday. I too hope that it doesn't become a habit but I know my son he will nip it in the bud quick.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was a kid, I could stay home from school any day that I wanted by just telling my mother that I was sick. However......... She said that if I was sick enough to stay home from school, I was also sick enough to stay in bed. No reading books ,either.
    No TV (we didn't have one anyway, until I was a teenager). And it didn't matter that I felt fine by the time everyone else came home from school either.
    I had to stay in bed except for bathroom trips and food until the next morning.
    This meant that it had to be something pretty drastic before I pretended to be sick after the first experience of saying that.

Diane Lane and Von Jones like this.
  10. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

That's pretty similar to how it was in our house @Yvonne Smith, except we were allowed to get up to do chores ;). We were allowed to read, also, which was an incentive to be sick if I didn't feel like going that day. Although I always had lots of friends, I would crave alone time, and sometimes it seemed staying home sick from school (or work) was the only way to get it.

@Von Jones It sounds as if he just wanted some time with the family. Hopefully he got his fill and everything is o.k.

Yvonne Smith and Von Jones like this.
  11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

It's good that children are very open with their parents about things. Especially when things are bothering them parents and grandparents are the ones to turn to. Having a good relationship with children and grandchildren is such a wonderful thing to have. Children grow up so quickly before you know it they're going to their senior prom next they are going to work and getting married. Life goes by so quickly, though it's already about 2 decades when children get married, but it doesn't seem so long ago they were just children and grandchildren going to grade school.

Von Jones likes this.