My Wife And I Love To Travel

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Ivan Tea Sanderzon, Mar 9, 2024.

1. Ivan Tea Sanderzon

Ivan Tea Sanderzon Well-Known Member
    Registered

Back in 1968 and 1969, I traveled out West with my uncle Brad (who invented air hockey) and his family. We visited all Western States except Washington, Oregon and California. Those were great trips that started my travel itch.

In 1973, I won an archaeological scholarship to visit Israel to take part in two digs, Ein Gev and Ubeidiya. I was there for a month working, learning and having fun. Dr Ofer bar-Yosef offered me a scholarship to remain in Israel and attend the Israel Institute of Technology. I stupidly and immaturely declined. I hope there are some here who understand being 17 years old, very intelligent but emotionally and socially immature.

Anyway, once I left Israel, we flew to Switzerland and stayed in the small town of Bulach. That was quite a change. Everything sparkled there, even the tiles in the tunnel under-pass of the highway.

Next, in 1986, I along with my unit, Co F (RANGER) 425 Infantry Airborne MIARNG, travelled to Germany to take part in REFORGER '86. En route, we landed in the Azores, then on to Ramstein. We were housed in Ludwigsburg and I quickly explored this town with its castles, the Residenzschloss and the Favorite Schloss, and via train to Stuttgart, too. We visited a small town named Holle (umlaut over the 'o'), or Hell, whose claim to fame was that it was founded by witches; there is a statue of the devil in the town square. There we were able to see directly into East Germany approximately 100 yard away. Also, I was able to travel to Neuschwanstein, then to Austria.

One of my sisters was doing her husband's family tree and i went with her to Maine and while out that way, visited Vermont, New Hampshire where we saw America's Stonehenge, Massachusetts where we stopped in Salem, New York and Pennsylvania

Since marrying my beautiful wife, we have traveled to Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and our favorite Louisiana's French Quarter.

We are planning a trip to Scotland in tyhe near future to see Edinburgh and over to Rosslyn Chapel and hopefully, Loch Ness and a few other places.

In the meantime, after I finish modifying our Sienna into a mini RV, we will be squatching in Michigan!

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Happy trails Ivan, be safe.

Ivan Tea Sanderzon likes this.
  3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Shoot! You will be right next door!
    I can honestly say, I have been around the block at least twice.:rolleyes:

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Although I did most of my traveling in the years following high school, much of it by hitchhiking, I have lived in a few different states, and my wife and I have done a good amount of traveling within the contiguous states.

5. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

We have traveled quite allot as well …. Sold our home in Adelaide ( South Aust ) in June 2004 , bought a block of land 5 mins walk away from a nice quiet beach ….2 hours drive from where our home we’d sold was …..bought a cheap but solid caravan , set about renovating it to suit our needs for living in …then went traveling around Australia.

The block of land we’d bought ( only large enough to get a home built on ) was only a a wheat paddock so we had to wait till it was established underground ….services / roads ect .
    Eventually had a home built and moved in mid 2006 ( still here )

Since 2018 and with time out with Covid lockdowns …we’ve traveled quite a bit , however we are are being very picky now days what we accept and where we go ( being a house pet minder )
    seeming we have our own comfy home.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    Mary Stetler and Ken Anderson like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We didn't do any traveling during the COVID fiasco either, not because we were afraid of COVID, but because there's no point in spending the money to travel when so much of everything along the way and at the destination would be closed. While our timeshares remained open, there would be nothing to do while we were there, as even the internal activities had been suspended.

7. Kate Ellery

Registered

We was in the middle of a 3 month long housesit when our boarders were closed , so we was happy when the home owners ( in Adelaide ) came home and allowed us to go home to our own home
    We are off to QLD soon ,it’s nice and warm ( like a spring day ) most winter days in QLD

8. Kate Ellery

Registered

Recent Canbera month long trip…..Canbera is 1300 km ….each way from home….and is Australia’s capital city where our politicians hang out at Parliament House

Australian War Memorial

IMG_2865.jpeg

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.