My Son The Single Parent

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Von Jones, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My son moved his family (2 girls, 1 boy) back home after losing his wife six years ago. She was a stay at home mom and he worked 6 days a week. What a drastic change and adjustment for him it has been. Luckily he found a rental home down the street from me. Now he comes to me to talk about the ins and outs of raising his crew and his most difficult one is his oldest daughter who just turned 18 last year.

So here's the story. She met a young man at the library where she spends a lot of time. Dad did meet him and Dad was delighted that he took an interest in his daughter. Unfortunately the young man shared that he had joined the Peace Corp and would be leaving. Now the daughter is on this "I'm an adult." kick and has been very disrespectful to Dad. It burns me up just thinking about it.

Okay, Dad comes over to see me and I sense something is bothering him and ask "What's up?" "I am not going to say anything." "Naw, I just going to say it." He didn't say anything but asked me a question. "Guess what blankety blank got her?" I in turn said, "A wedding ring?" The look on his face was priceless like "Mom, seriously?" I cracked up laughing. He said "No, a puppy." I died laughing.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I would have guessed what you guessed, but am glad it was a puppy.

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually the problem is the puppy. Of course my granddaughter or her Bo didn't consider asking if it was okay and it's not. Dad believes she won't take care of it and there is an additional cost for dogs in the rental agreement.

John Nopales and John Brunner like this.
  4. John Brunner

Yeh, the idea of gifting a pet occurred to me as being kind of thoughtless/immature. I had not thought of lease issues. (I'm tempted to say something about "puppy love," but out of empathy for your son, I shall refrain. Besides, 18 is a little old for that...I think.)

I thought kids were supposed to get easier once they hit adult age.

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Infatuation, first love for her. Sometimes it's not so easy.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

Yeh, there's all sorts of stuff going on at that age. You could power cities from the energy.

I wonder what Dad thinks of the "I'm shipping out in the morning" story (not that I'm cynical or anything.)

7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

He was okay with that seeing that it was good for him to do something positive with his life. I think he is leaving end of February.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    John Brunner likes this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Von Jones -cute story. A puppy is much better than -Guess what dad? I am joining the PC with him !
    Hopefully distance will fan the flames of first love, for now at least.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Or, "Guess what, dad? You're going to be a grandpa!" :D:D:D When our middle son was in high school he and his girlfriend surprised us with that news. I remember trying to keep my composure hearing that announcement, but thankfully it did work out for the best. I got my precious first grandchild out of that deal and he's in college today. :D