My Russian Experiences

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Terry Page, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Wonderful pictures, @Terry Page ! ! The park was beautiful in its frosty setting; but I think that I would prefer being there in the warmth of the Spring or Summer.
    The Terminus was very interesting, and I am trying to tell what that interesting statue on the top is. It looked like horses, and then something with wings coming down. An eagle ? Maybe an angel ? And some kind of a small wagon being pulled by the horses, or a chariot maybe ?
    Waiting for maybe a closer picture and better description from you about that statue ....

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Terry Page, What wonderful photos. I too think it is amazing that such beautiful religious iconic churches survive their not too distant history. Althought I must say that I most enjoyed the ones of the country side, and of the ones that contain the daily events of life. Can you show us some of the daily doings that surround you at this time of year.
    It is always interesting to see the different or similar ways the pwople of this world do things.

3. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

[QUOTE="Yvonne Smith, post: 23495, member: 3"]Wonderful pictures, @Terry Page ! ! The park was beautiful in its frosty setting; but I think that I would prefer being there in the warmth of the Spring or Summer.
    The Terminus was very interesting, and I am trying to tell what that interesting statue on the top is. It looked like horses, and then something with wings coming down. An eagle ? Maybe an angel ? And some kind of a small wagon being pulled by the horses, or a chariot maybe ?
    Waiting for maybe a closer picture and better description from you about that statue ....[/QUOTE]

arch.jpg

Yes Yvonne I will post some summer photo's of the garden soon, regarding the arch, its called the "Narva Gate" or "Triumphal Arch" and was constructed originally in wood and plaster, to welcome soldiers back from the 1812 war after the defeat of Napoleon. It was later rebuilt in stone with hammered copper statues, more history here.

A video but you need to brush up your Russian to understand the commentary.

Ike Willis likes this.
  4. Terry Page

Registered

Here are few summer pics in the park

pic4.jpg pic5.jpg pic6.jpg pic1.jpg

Ruby Begonia and Ike Willis like this.
  5. Terry Page

Registered

The park covers a wide area and is divided in two by a major highway, one section was an Amusement Park in Soviet times, long since abandoned, most of the infrastructure has been left to rot, like a lot of things from that period in history.
    I quite like the melancholy mood that disused machinery can create, and it's good for photography as well..

Here are some photo's from 2014.

pic10.jpg pic11.jpg pic12.jpg pic13.jpg pic14.jpg pic15.jpg pic22.jpg pic16.jpg pic18.jpg pic20.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  6. Terry Page

Registered

7. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

100% more interesting than a shiny new amusement park.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  8. Terry Page

Registered

A Walk to the local Monastery and Georgian restaurant

The Alexander Nevsky monastery dates back to 1710 and the cemetery has graves of famous composers such as Tchaikovsky, Rubinshtein, Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov and Glinka, also many writers and poets including Dostoevsky.

th7.jpg th6.jpg th8.jpg th10.jpg th9.jpg th12.jpg th3.jpg th2.jpg thurs.jpg th5.jpg

9. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Mmm, porter. I'm reminded of a trip to Vilnius where we had some porter. The waitress asked if we liked the beer and we assured her that we did, but mentioned it was quite strong. It was 6.9 percent and she said, "Oh, is not so strong for Lithuania."

10. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Terry Page, Oh such lovely pictures, and they give us a sense of what you're seeing. Good food, good drink, and a lovely lady as well, so you must be enjoying yourself. Keep enjoying your trip, and I hope to see more of your photography.:):p

11. Terry Page

Registered

Funnily enough Tom I have just picked up a few bottles of porter from the corner shop for the weekend, its 6.8% and only 65 roubles (65p) about a dollar for 600ml bottle, will let you know what it's like as I have never seen this one before, nor as cheap ;)
    beer.jpg

12. Terry Page

Registered

Thanks Ina you are very kind, I will bore you to tears with all my photos in the end :);)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  13. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I love how colorful some of the buildings are. Not gray and drab.:)

Lara Moss and Terry Page like this.
  14. Terry Page

Registered

Yes Ike St.Petersburg was designed as a European city so has interesting and colourful architecture, but a lot of smaller towns and even the outskirts of St.Peter can be grey and drab. Here is a a residential block in an old Soviet style town.

00s.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    Ruby Begonia and Ike Willis like this.
  15. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Such interesting photos! I couldn't view the last one though.:(