My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Only recently. I bought a bunch of them about five years ago but some of them are four times the size of the new ones, with much lower resolution, and others no longer work, so I'm stocking up again. One of the cameras I bought a couple of weeks ago, I returned. A month or so ago, one of my cameras (which I had set up just to see what kinds of critters are coming into our yard at night) caught a couple of people in my back yard looking at my Tracker and even opening the door to my utility shed. Since the camera was set low, for animals, it didn't show their faces. So now I have some cameras set for animals, but I have others that will catch people, and a couple of them are high enough that someone would have to get a ladder in order to mess with them. Eventually, I'll get a security system for the back yard but I don't want to have to pay for an electrician just yet.

3. Ken Anderson

screwdrivers.png
    I hate not having the screwdriver I need.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

That stinks about the trespassers. Damn people who have no self-respect.

I have some cams I bought 10 years ago. I got them out of storage last week but can't find the SD cards. Are you saying that camera technology has changed since then? They were a discontinued model of Moultrees back in 2010.

5. Ken Anderson

I have some old Primos cameras from six or seven years ago. They are huge, and only 3MP, taking four D-cell batteries. Some of the ones I bought recently are small (4" x 3"), take four AA batteries and a microSD card, and have resolutions of 20MP or higher. You can also get ones that will send the pictures to your cellphone. I have a couple that have that capability but I don't use it because I don't want all that distraction on my cellphone. I don't need to know immediately that there's a squirrel in my backyard. This is a small town. If I get a picture of someone's face, there's a good chance that the first person I talk to will know who they are, where they live, and who they're related to.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

Interesting.

I saw that you bought some rechargeable Lithium AA batteries. I called Moultree when I was considering getting some NiMH batteries and a charger, because apparently there is a voltage difference between alkaline batteries and all rechargeable types. He said that Moultree advised against using rechargeables because their cameras need to see a specific voltage (I believe it was 4x1.5v = 6v total.) This was within the past year. Not sure what the current specs might be.

7. Ken Anderson

Some of them still say that, I think, but I always use rechargeables in the cameras around my yard. If I am placing the cameras on my land up north, I'll want them to record for a few months before I retrieve them, so I'll use non rechargeables there. Here at home, I pick them up every four or five days, and sometimes more frequently than that. I have never had any trouble, and I have four or five different brands. I returned the Moultrie camera that I bought a couple of weeks ago because it was nearly impossible to remove and replace the batteries, and I saw that Moultrie was suggesting people buy Moultrie brand AA batteries and Moultrie brand SD cards. Regular AA batteries worked but I'd have to pry them out with a screwdriver. That seemed like a bit of a scam to me so I returned it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    John Brunner likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I just ordered a wooden coffee scoop made of black walnut wood. Currently scrutinizing different coffees as well.

Seems like the Nespresso machines are going to be a hot item this holiday season; they are featured in a lot of retail Black Friday ads. I'm trying to move away from "pods" so I'll resist the Nespresso.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

My last employer was all "green" 'n stuff, and they went to the Flavia machines.

Each of these makes one cup:
    [​IMG]

They did it to cut back on theft of the regular coffee most of us could make use of at home.

I can't believe that in today's "No Straw For You!" world that there have not been violent protests over generating the level of waste in these "single cup" machines every time a cup of coffee gets brewed.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yeah, my previous employer went from the commercial Bunn coffee making stations to a commercial Keurig k-cup setup. Everyone was glad about that because without fail, some jackwad would take the last of the coffee in the machine and sneak out, leaving a few drops to cook on the burner. It was just too much work for some to put in a filter, tear open a bag of pre-measured coffee, and pour in a pitcher of water. (And forget ever rinsing out that pot!)

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

So what are those business cards for?

I've got some I've had for a while. They're pretty handy for carrying around with miscellaneous info on.

12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My granddaughters are liking the L.O.L. Surprise line. So I ordered 5 sets of these dresses not on sale at Walmart for Christmas. I'll have to put ID tags on them for the four sisters.

[​IMG]

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Those are cute, Von. Last Christmas I gave my little granddaughter a "LOL" doll. I had no idea what on earth it was, but it was on her wish list on Amazon. :D

Von Jones likes this.
  14. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Well I got an email this morning. Cancelled out of stock will not be reordered.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Ordered a box of Lindor chocolates. Now that the weather's cold I don't have to worry about them melting.

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith and Von Jones like this.