My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I bought a posture support something like this …..post 2642

I try to be as carful as I can when shopping online …checking things like do they accept PayPal ..yep
    has it got a Aussie flag or prices showing it’s an Australian site … $$$ ..yep

I often check in (Contact us ) down bottom of page to double check what state they are in ..check listed as Victoria ..yep

Well after ordering I get what looked like a tiny photocopied receipt stating because of Covid restrictions ( highlighted in yellow )
    there would be a 30 day delay in posting item ….it all sounded VERY SUSPICIOUS ….to me ….

So within an hour of purchase I contacted them to cancel my order and refund my $$$ in return I received 6 emails with different ticket numbers ..saying because of Covid it would be 14 days before my ticket number would be answered …..

So then I google the company reviews and 99% of reviews came us this company is a SCAM ……PHEW …..

Yep I’ve already realised that ……sadly ….

Next I contact Pay pal …to stop payment ….and apparently I’d ordered some sort of subscription at $49.95 a month
    :eek::eek::eek: pay pal was not able to tell me what I ordered but the photocopied receipt I mentioned said it was the back support
    So I was pretty lucky to get my money back :(:(:( And I had to cancel the subscription on pay pal as PP could not do that without my permission , it was easy to do …

I get a bit hunched looking at iPad and get a headache from doing so …the reason I thought of the back brace

I tried looking up the site today but couldn’t find it ..so maybe it’s been deleted

Last edited: May 18, 2024
  2. Kate Ellery

Registered

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I keep forgetting to look at the seller on Walmart and Amazon to make sure that the stuff I am buying is being fulfilled through them and not some offshore 3rd party. It's becoming a real quality issue with supplements.

I have to share a scam email I got today claiming to be Best Buy, "confirming my $400 order." I reported it as Spam and then didn't worry about it. Throughout the day I got 5 emails from other targets of that email who Replied to All when telling the scammer what they thought of him. The language was "spicy," and I don't think those people realized that they just shared their email addresses with everyone who received the original message.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  4. Kate Ellery

Registered

I just looked at the tickets they sent me …regarding getting a refund , they came from a Gmail address :eek::eek::eek::eek: nothing wrong with Gmail I have it myself …..but a business :eek::eek::eek::eek:running on gmail ….nah …glad I paid with PP @John Brunner

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

If it weren't for those types of protections, I gotta think the volume of internet purchases would be way lower...and we would be hyper-cautious with every order we placed.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  6. Kate Ellery

Registered

I just remembered I recieved a email from Best Buy as well ..and I deleted it ..I’m gonna look at it now , I’m presuming it’s the same scam John

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Kate, I always check reviews from customers first who also ordered that same item. I didn't see that mentioned on your checklist. Ordering online can be boggling these days with all the scams out there. Sometimes you just want to say 'Forget it.' I alerted my sister about one when she asked me to help her get a prize. I asked her did she buy anything and she said it was free and I said nothing is free.

8. Kate Ellery

Registered

This is one I just
    yep I normally do check ….think it’s essential to pre check before ordering anything now days …..but silly me :p:p checked after ordering …..DAH …ME
    thats like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted :p:p
    @Von Jones

John Brunner and Von Jones like this.
  9. John Brunner

The problem with reviews is that they may not even be for the product whose page they appear on. I was reading reviews on Amazon for some green teas, and every single product contained a mish-mosh of reviews for different types of tea bought from that same seller. So I went to a company that only sells tea to buy something I could trust.

It's not the first time I've waded through Amazon reviews to realize that they weren't all for the product they were attached to.

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

The sad thing about it is that a lot of businesses are veering to online and brick and mortar are stores are disappearing.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep, that's when I said 'Forget it' :rolleyes:

Kate Ellery and John Brunner like this.
  12. Kate Ellery

Registered

THIS ….is on a highly respected REVIEW site ….

Here’s one of many many negative reviews ….The poster …also mentions the MONTHLY deductions that I’d …..apparently set up :mad:as well ….so it’s a SCAM …

IMG_6630.jpeg

Von Jones and John Brunner like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Another HALO Bolt 58830 mWh Portable Charger. This is #3. They have come in really handy during the power outage, but two phones, tablets and a laptop plus running table lamps uses a lot of juice. Amazon should deliver any time now.

upload_2024-5-18_11-51-47.png

ETA--do you think Amazon has noticed the Houston power outage?? I paid $74 yesterday and today the same product is $99.

14. John Brunner

The problem as I see it is that people will go to the brick & mortar stores to decide what they want, and then buy cheaper on line.

Von Jones likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

On the rare occasions that I go to a bookstore, that's what I do. Before Books a Million bought the Borders store in Bangor, I would buy books directly from the store because Borders had a nice local and regional section that focused on local and statewide authors and publishers, some of which were signed because authors would do book-signings there and leave some signed books behind. Books a Million did away with the local section, so they don't carry anything that I can't find cheaper on Amazon, and sometimes much cheaper.

I used to feel strongly about supporting local stores until I realized that many of these local stores weren't interested in catering to local people. Instead, they'd keep weird or erratic hours or would provide bad customer service. When you add the fact that money is a bit harder to come by these days, I have to go with whatever is the most affordable. There are a couple of stores that I would prefer to go to physically, either because it's easier to know that I'm buying what I need when I can walk out of the store with it or because they provide exceptional service. Our True Value Store is one of those. I'll pay more for a power tool from True Value because I enjoy shopping there; they know what they're talking about and are willing to answer questions or let me browse, whichever I prefer.

On the rare occasion that I want something from Walmart, I'll drive to the store because the only time I tried shopping on their online store, they wanted me to pick a couple of the items up at the store rather than shipping them, and didn't bother telling me that until I got to the shopping cart part of it. If I have to drive to Walmart anyhow, I'll do my shopping there. Overall, though, I hate Walmart, so I rarely go there.

I would rather shop at the Tractor Supply Store because we have one here in town, so I may a well walk out with what I need. Plus, I bought a couple of what were labeled Carhartt shirts on Amazon that were much thinner than the ones they carry at the Tractor Supply Store.