My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I may give that a shot. It MIGHT be the mechanism in the lids rather than the seal. I could not find an old lid to try my current seal with. When I get this set, I'll use the old seal with a new lid and see what gives.

I can't search for the material to make a gasket from because I don't know what to call it.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That's what we do with canner gaskets as well.

3. John Brunner

After years of not buying anything on EBay, I've ordered from them twice this week.

[​IMG]

I'm on my second or third pair of Ove Gloves, and they're getting too nasty for me to put near my food. A pair on EBay costs less than one glove from Walmart or Amazon. I should have bought 2 pairs...

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

What are you doing? :eek: I have a pair and I wash mine. :rolleyes:

5. John Brunner

How long have you had yours? I know I've had this pair for well over 10 years. I wash them, but after so many years they get dingy and kinda look dirty all of the time. I forget what I recently pulled out of the oven, but melted cheese slopped onto the gloves.

I'll wash them and keep them as backups.

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

How long? a couple of years. 10 years! Well, I will be passing mine on to my son then. They are very good quality-wise.

7. John Brunner

Yup. I use them all the time. In fact, I bought a pair for my younger brother who liked to cook a lot.

Mine will still be functional. I was getting concerned because I use them when I run hot water through containers for this catheter stuff I do, and I started worrying about contamination (the cheese put me over the edge.) I may keep the fresh pair just for that use. I may order a second pair. Daggone Walmart stopped stocking them in the stores.

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I see. I would be concerned too. I'm going to play momma, You need a ruler to your hand using those gloves like that, John B. If it's that hot sew together some pot holders.
    Whack that hand good. :D

9. John Brunner

Heck, they're good up to 540° and boiling water is only 212°. Funny, when I just looked up the 540° spec, I found a link to Amazon for a pair of them for under $20. I could not find this pair when I was on Amazon's site earlier. Link

Mary Stetler, Tony Page and Von Jones like this.
  10. John Brunner

I finally scrubbed Amazon's website for a material suitable for making vacuum canister gaskets and I ordered a couple of thicknesses to try. Hopefully this will save me money, I can have spare gaskets on hand, and I can make use of the canisters I've got that I only bought to scavenge the gaskets from. And the gaskets gave me an idea on how to level the burners on my stove (the stove is level but the burner grates each rest at their own goofy angle.)

I also ordered a Microlife blood pressure machine that @Steven Stanick recommended and another pair of Ove Gloves. I may take the old Ove Gloves to the garage so I can pull hot parts off of engines.

[​IMG]

11. John Brunner

I could not find another place to extol the virtues of this pill organizer I bought online, so I'll do it here:

[​IMG]

I've been taking supplements for over 30 years, and have always used several 7 day pill organizers to split up the doses over the course of a day. It works OK, but having multiple weekly organizers to work with every day gets a little clumsy. I've been using this new organizer for a week or so and I really love it. It's compact (the case that holds the containers is about 6" x 4.5"), yet each of the 3 compartments holds as much as the 7 day organizer compartments do (8 fish oil capsules.) It's so much more convenient to have one small container for each day's meds/supplements. If you step out and don't want to miss a dose, you just put that day's container in your pocket or your purse and carry it with you.

The only "downside" is that it's easier for me to set up a week's worth of supplements in the 7 day organizers than it is this product, because this gives you 7 different containers to work with and I'm messing with a bunch of different supplements for each of the 3 compartments. I'm still working on the best method. And it's a minor issue.

This is under $10. LINK Amazon also carries several organizers in this style that are for 1 or 2 doses per day rather than 3, so they're cheaper and smaller. (I actually bought mine from Walmart without realizing that the one from Walmart is sold & shipped from an overseas seller, while the same unit from Amazon ships from Amazon.)

Von Jones, Tony Page and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I bought a new Fitbit Charge 6 from the Mother's Day sale. My old Charge 5 is working but the heart rate monitor seems "iffy." I got the new one a few minutes ago so I'm charging it up.

13. John Brunner

I decided to punt the Made in China Spring Valley Vitamin C I've been taking (I never even noticed it before) and went on Amazon to buy some C and a few other supplements. I about pooped when I saw the Order Total. For some reason, I did not finish processing my last order. :confused: So my blood pressure machine, gaskets, etc, are gonna be late. *sigh*

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Isn't that infuriating? I noticed the steroid dose pack I got from Walgreens Rx has "made in China" stamped on the box. :mad::mad: I remarked to my husband that they are going to own us soon; we will be at their mercy for the necessities of life.

15. John Brunner

I got in a chat with a woman on another forum when she said "All Spring Valley supplements are made in China." I took a look at some of the ones I have and they are made in the USA, in Canada, I think some in South America. The chewable S.V. Vitamin C is made in Canada. But the tablets are made in China.

So I went to Walmart today to buy replacements, and all they carry in tablet form is Nature Made and Spring Valley, both made in China. I think I have 3 or 4 other supplements that are Spring Valley. I've yet to go through all of them to see what else might need to be replaced. I hope the other brands are OK. I think they are (NOW, Puritan's Pride, Solaray.)

Regarding China: At one point it made sense to offshore our manufacturing, not the least of which is a lack of willing, qualified factory workers here (there's always a shortage for the few remaining manufacturing jobs that we do have.) I don't know what the answer is, since our politicians seem to be in Destroy America mode. And we really cannot staff factories. We need a new offshore contractor.