My Heart Back In Atrial Fibrillation Today

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Yvonne Smith, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I ended up spending the day in the hospital emergency room because last night my heart just went bonkers, and started racing. I remember feeling it during the night and turning over because i thought maybe I was laying wrong. Ever since the operation two years ago, it has been working fine with no a-fib, and even the heart failure has been better.
    Since I have been exercising and losing weight, I have felt better than I felt in many years; so I have no idea what started the problem all of a sudden.
    My BP is usually around 120/70, but this morning it was 167/145, and my pulse was racing at over 150, even after I had taken my heart meds. Robin came over, and she took Bobby and I down to the ER, and they gave me some heart medicine that they thought would stabilize my heart.
    It didn't slow it down, and the ER doctor said that because the heart rate was jumping from 120-155 back and forth and in between, that it was not just racing, but was in fibrillation.
    They knocked me out and used the shock machine to start my heart back into rhythm again, and after watching me for a while, and making sure that I was stabile enough to walk, they sent me back home again.
    I haven't been sick, so I am not sure if this was something that was going on before, but not enough for me to know it, or something else caused it.
    They called the Heart Center, and my cardiologist will be seeing me in the next few days, and maybe he will have some idea why this happened.
    They had told me that once I made it past the first year, people usually do not have problems, and this has been over two years since the operation.
    I will be taking it easy for the next few days, until I can see my heart doctor, and hopefully, my heart will just keep working right from now on like it was doing before.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith
    Very serious business......hope you are hanging in there OK. Get well quickly!

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My ex has the same problem and he'll be fine then without any reason he goes into afib. The scary thing with him is doesn't feel it. Only notices that when he checks his pulse. He's been in the hospital a few times in Ohio.

Usually adjusting his metropopol(sp) helps. He's had this problem for 8 years now and does fine otherwise.

Take care.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

You and Bobby are in our prayers, Yvonne! Take care of yourself!

Denise Evans and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh @Yvonne Smith , now you have me worried. Do you think your dieting could be affecting your heart. You have been very strict with yourself regarding your diet.

It's to late today, but I promise to call you tomorrow unless you think you need to rest instead of yacking with me.
    (((Hugs))) and prayers for you my friend, and just remember many of us love and care about you.

I admit, I have to stop myself from bother you tonight.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I pray you're feeling much better soon, @Yvonne Smith.

Probably Metoprolol. They had me taking that once when they thought I might have a heart problem. It turned out I didn't have one. While I was taking Metoprolol, I was getting tightening of the chest, chest pains and other symptoms that had me thinking I was having a heart attack, but only while I was taking the drug. Once they took me off of it, I was fine. Of course, I probably had that reaction because I didn't have whatever problem they were giving it to me for.

7. Yvonne Smith

I was reading to see what might have caused the fibrillation, and apparently, one thing that is notorious for upsetting heart rhythm is MSG. We had stopped to eat the day before at a cafe, and I quite possibly ate something that had MSG in it.
    Since I have been on the same basic diet for around a year now, it is not likely that it would have suddenly affected me, @Ina I. Wonder , and from what I have read, low-carb eating is very beneficial for heart failure. I know that not only have I gotten healthier, and lost weight this past year, I have felt so much better than I have felt for many years.
    It is also possible that I was just overly stressed out the last couple of days, and that can affect a person physically, as well as emotionally. Or maybe a combination of things.
    In any case, my heart has been doing fine since they put it back in sync again, so that is the good news.

8. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne so glad they got it back in sync and you're feeling OK now. I hope all goes well at the doctors and it was just a fluke that doesn't happen again. You will be in my prayers tonight.

9. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chris Ladewig - yes Chris, was gonna suggest the same

@Yvonne Smith - this happened to me a few months back, so scary and went on so long, but it was a flukey thing and I was stressed
    at the time - hope this is the case for you xx

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

This verse is for you;) @Yvonne Smith :
    John 14:27
    "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid".

11. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I hope everything is back to normal today, Yvonne.

12. Yvonne Smith

Thank you, @Joe Riley , for the blessing. And also thank you to all of my friends here who sent prayers and comforting messages. I send back virtual hugs to each of you as well, @Frank Sanoica , @Ina I. Wonder , @Ken Anderson , @Chris Ladewig , @Patsy Faye , and @Sheldon Scott .
    My heart has been fine, and I am feeling SO much better today.
    When I see my doctor , he will have the results of the tests they took yesterday, and maybe a better idea of what happened. I only had some fish and salad when we stopped for lunch the other day, so I doubt that I would have eaten enough of anything with MSG in it , and nothing else has changed that I can think of; so I think that part of the problem might have been all of the stress that I have had to deal with this last week. I am avoiding the person causing the stress in the future, and following Ina's advice to let it roll off of my back.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh @Yvonne Smith I miss so many posts because I can stuck in one area and I never saw this last evening. I am so glad you are home and hanging in there until you can get more tests. I can't believe you have to wait a few days, just the waiting can cause stress. I'll be praying for you, and Bobby, denise

15. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I love your new avatar, and how true @Yvonne Smith and @Joe Riley verse, I love that too Joe;) denise

Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.