My Eyes Are Going

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ina I. Wonder, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

My eyes are going real blurry each day, to the point that I'm having to close them to relieve the stress I feel. It has been going on for almost two years now. I think it might have something to do with my computer screens. I've had trouble with light since a BBQ pit blew up in my face at 13. But in the last few years, I've been spending 8 to 12 hour looking at my iPad or the Dell.

I figure I can't be the only one to have this problem, so I'm asking what any of you might have tried for this problem. My glasses were replaced just six months ago, and I notice that the last two pair I've bought don't stop the blurring. It is getting worse, that's why I giving up doing portrait work. I can't see clearly enough to do it now.

Got any advices guys and gals????

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Have you tried eye drops, like Visine?

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  3. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Not knowing what the exact problem is, I can't tell you what you need for the blurring Ina.
    But, as for myself, with my eyes getting weaker in general with age, I daily take an eye capsule of Lutein, Zeaxanthin & Omega-3 ... and I drink organic carrot juice. Lots of Vitamin A. It's my daily routine.

I'm surprised that you are having such trouble with your eyes, as you travel so much.
    I'm hindered by driving in unfamiliar places. I have to stay in my comfort zone.

To stare at any type of computer screen can't help.:) .. but we all know that.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm very sensitive to light and always have been but I don't ever get blurry vision. My eyes do get tired and dry sometimes from being on my ipad but that's about it.

I'm like you Bonnie with driving and my comfort zone but it's mainly because I have no sense of direction and I also don't see well at night.

Did you mention the blurring to your eye dr., Ina?

Also some meds can give you blurry vision.

5. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

When I get up in the morning, my eyes are fine with my glasses. As I read on my iPad, the blurring starts within a couple of hours, and by 5ish, my vision is the same with or without my glasses. The last few days I've backed off from reading on the iPad, and it does seem to relieve much of the blurring.

After the emergency trip to AZ at Christmas, and the deductible on my auto insurance to get my car fixed after it caught fire, I will need to save up a bit so I can afford to go back to the optometrist.

@Bonnie Thomas , I'll see if I can get the suppliments you mentioned through Amazon. How long do you think I should take them before I should see a difference? How long was it before you noticed a difference?

As far as driving goes, it seems to help diminish the blurring. I am far sighted, so looking off into the distance seems to lessen the problem.

@Ken Anderson , I have used eye drops in the past, and I'll try resuming them to see if it helps now.

I wonder if a larger screen would help. I have an 18" Dell screen that I'm going to start using to see if that changes anything.

@Chrissy Page , My meds are taken on a regular schedule, and the blurring started before I started the meds. I did ask my regular doctor about the posibilty of the meds being the problem, but he said he hadn't come across this as a side effect before.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm sure ipads or even computers aren't good for our eyes.....too bad.:(

Does anyone else who uses a touch screen type device have pain in their finger by the end of the day? That is a problem I have. I bought a stylus but didn't really help.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  7. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Staring at monitors absolutely causes eye strain and blurry vision! Happens to me every day as I use a computer all day at work.

They gave us an excersize to help and it really does feel good when you do it. Find a focal point as far away as possible, like outside, through a window etc. Stare at that faraway point but don't try to focus on it, just let your eyes relax while looking for a minute or more.

Hope this helps.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I will give that a try, Ruby. I do have eye strain. Thanks.

9. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Ok, I've switched over to my Dell XPS-18, and it is much easier to see. I'll try your advice @Ruby Begonia, maybe that will help since I am far sighted.

Does anyone of you know much about the new laser surgery? I'm told it will be at least four years until I can have my cataracts removed. Like an idiot, I didn't ask why not. When I get around doctors I go mute.

What about computer screens is it that causes eye problems?

10. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Ina, maybe call the doctor on the phone and ask why the 4 years. I think I'm as curious as you are!o_O

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

So am I, the only thing I can think of is maybe they are just starting. I don't know anything about cataracts though except that now days it's an easy fix.

12. Ruby Begonia

Registered

How Can the Computer Screen Affect Vision?
    Computer vision syndrome is similar to carpal tunnel syndrome and other repetitive stress injuries at work. It occurs when you're carrying out the same motion over and over again. Just like those other repetitive stress injuries, computer vision syndrome can get worse the longer you continue the activity.

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/computer-vision-syndrome

13. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

You can find supplements for the eyes anywhere...Amazon I'm sure has many choices. Right now I'm using Eye Health capsules from Walgreens. It's just something I take to keep my eyes from getting worse .... I don't think of them as something that I'm going to stop taking, if that makes sense.

As for computer screens, always remember that you can make the print itself larger on the screen... Zoom in...that might help.

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I remember that you have said that you are not feeling hungry, and are not always eating what and when you should eat, @Ina I. Wonder .
    You also mentioned that you start out fine, and then your blurry eyes gets worse as the day progresses. Possibly, it could be caused by low blood sugar. Blurry vision IS one of the symptoms of having too low blood sugar.
    Try having a protein drink, or even a glass of juice, and see if that helps your vision at all.

If it is due to the cataracts, then I think that it should not get progressively worse as the day goes on, it would be the same kind of vision all day, and then slowly get worse over the years .
    My aunt could not see well enough to renew her driver's license, and a friend told her that eating pumpkin seeds would help get rid of her cataracts naturally.
    She ate the pumpkin seeds, and in a couple of months was able to pass the vision test and get her license renewed. You might try that. They are healthy, in any case.
    I will see what other things that might be causing the blurry vision, or might help correct it; but I agree with the others, that taking extra vitamin A&D could also help. Fresh carrot juice is a great idea ! I use the blender when I make mine, so I get all of the nutrients from the carrot.

15. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Last Christmas, we had our usual family reunion. When the opening of gifts arrived, we noticed that a grand nephew was given a tablet. And he is only 4 years old but already well versed with the tablet. His favorite is youtube. And I learned that the boy uses the old tablet all day, spending most of his waking hours with eyes focused on the tablet.

My husband said that the side effect is on the eyes. The glare of the monitor is a burden to the eyes and eyeglasses are getting popular with school children because of that syndrome. It's a good thing that I am not addicted to the computer or the smart phone because I don't want to have cataract at an early age.

Ruby Begonia likes this.