Mexican Bird Of Paradise

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Frank Sanoica, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

When we first "snowbirded" here, 2010-2012, still living in Missouri, we marveled at the large variety of beautiful exotic plants blooming all winter long as we walked the riverwalk. We picked seed pods from many; I planted a bunch indoors, many proving to be "flops", a few, including Date Palms, fluorished. One tiny plant, origin and species unknown, made it through about 2 years indoors, and got "planted" off our new patio in 2012.

Turned out to be the Mexican Bird of Paradise. Today, longest day of the year, battered by recent winds which stripped it of many leaves and blossoms, it is at it showiest best. The flowers are iridescent deep chrome-yellow colored. At it's base, the trunk is now thicker than my forearm. This has been very rewarding!

[​IMG]

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

It's beautiful. You did good.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I really love the shape of the tree & how the branches intertwine. I think it may be the inspiration of my next art project. I'll post it for you whenever I finish it in the next couple of weeks

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Blast ! I thought I was to see a 'Bird of paradise' - I love them - good dancers !

Anyhoo - I love trees too, and that's a beauty :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.