Message In A Bottle

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Joe Riley, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Today's Upper Room Devotional is titled "A Gentle Answer", and the Scripture from the Message Bible is Proverbs 15:1-4.

1 A gentle response defuses anger, but a sharp tongue kindles a temper-fire. 2 Knowledge flows like spring water from the wise; fools are leaky faucets, dripping nonsense. 3 God doesn't miss a thing - he's alert to good and evil alike. 4 Kind words heal and help; cutting words wound and maim.

Prayer: Dear God, help us consider our words before we speak them, so that what comes out of our mouths will help, not hurt. Amen.

I like the KJV, where it says "A soft answer turneth away wrath."

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I Corinthians 13:4-8, from The Message Bible;)

"Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. Love doesn't strut, Doesn't have a swelled head, 5 Doesn't force itself on others, Isn't always "me first," Doesn't fly off the handle, Doesn't keep score of the sins of others, 6 Doesn't revel when others grovel, Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, 7 Puts up with anything, Trusts God always, Always looks for the best, Never looks back, But keeps going to the end. 8 Love never dies".

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The Upper Room Devotional for today, July 3,2016 is titled "How Does Jesus Do It?" It is by Lisa Gridly from Pennsylvania. The scripture is Isaiah 41:8-10,17-20, and is from The Message Bible.

8 "But you, Israel, are my servant. You're Jacob, my first choice, descendants of my good friend Abraham. 9 I pulled you in from all over the world, called you in from every dark corner of the earth, Telling you, 'You're my servant, serving on my side. I've picked you. I haven't dropped you.' 10 Don't panic. I'm with you. There's no need to fear for I'm your God. I'll give you strength. I'll help you. I'll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you".

17 "The poor and homeless are desperate for water, their tongues parched and no water to be found. But I'm there to be found, I'm there for them, and I, God of Israel, will not leave them thirsty. 18 I'll open up rivers for them on the barren hills, spout fountains in the valleys. I'll turn the baked-clay badlands into a cool pond, the waterless waste into splashing creeks. 19 I'll plant the red cedar in that treeless wasteland, also acacia, myrtle, and olive. I'll place the cypress in the desert, with plenty of oaks and pines. 20 Everyone will see this. No one can miss it - unavoidable, indisputable evidence That I, God, personally did this. It's created and signed by The Holy of Israel".

Prayer: Dear Lord, help us to look and listen for you in our lives. Help us to remember that you love us and care for us, especially in times of despair. Amen.

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

A man found an inspirational handwritten note in a glass Coca-Cola bottle washed up on the sand of a Melbourne beach. Adrian Trotman, 30, was walking his dog on Port Melbourne Beach with his wife Jen on Sunday when he noticed the message in a bottle. It contained a small rolled up piece of paper ripped out of a diary from December/January 2013, challenging the reader to make a drastic change in their life.
    [​IMG]

Ike Willis likes this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The Upper Room Devotional for today, July14, 2016, is titled "Treading Water", by Mark H. Anderson (Pennsylvania, USA). The scripture reading is Matthew 14:22-33, and is taken from The Message Bible.

22 As soon as the meal was finished, he insisted that the disciples get in the boat and go on ahead to the other side while he dismissed the people.
    23 With the crowd dispersed, he climbed the mountain so he could be by himself and pray. He stayed there alone, late into the night.
    24 Meanwhile, the boat was far out to sea when the wind came up against them and they were battered by the waves.
    25 At about four o'clock in the morning, Jesus came toward them walking on the water.
    26 They were scared out of their wits. "A ghost!" they said, crying out in terror.
    27But Jesus was quick to comfort them. "Courage, it's me. Don't be afraid."
    28 Peter, suddenly bold, said, "Master, if it's really you, call me to come to you on the water."
    29 He said, "Come ahead."
    30 But when he looked down at the waves churning beneath his feet, he lost his nerve and started to sink. He cried, "Master, save me!"
    31 Jesus didn't hesitate. He reached down and grabbed his hand. Then he said, "Faint-heart, what got into you?"
    32 The two of them climbed into the boat, and the wind died down.
    33 The disciples in the boat, having watched the whole thing, worshiped Jesus, saying, "This is it! You are God's Son for sure!"

Prayer:
    Dear God, our helper, remind us to come to you when we face struggles and storms, and bring us peace. Amen.

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The Upper Room Devotional for today is titled "Solace For The Soul", by Le-Ann Splawn Little (Alabama, USA) The Scripture is Exodus 14:5-14.

"Over 50 years ago in Sunday school I memorized my first Bible verse, Psalm 56:3. The teacher told our small group of children that when we were afraid, it was important to trust God because God cares about us".

"It was not until many years later that I began to learn the true meaning of this powerful psalm. As new parents, my husband and I observed that our first child’s hands and legs seemed to move abnormally on occasion. We made an appointment with our pediatrician. I was afraid to know the diagnosis and afraid not to know it. I was afraid of our present lack of experience as parents and afraid that what might lie ahead would need the expert experience of seasoned parents. Fear began to overwhelm me. But then I remembered that first Bible verse I had learned so many years ago: “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”

"We may be afraid of many things: health issues, financial concerns, giving birth, or approaching death. Whatever it may be, we can pray this psalm and allow it to flow through our souls, bringing peace. God can be trusted in all situations and with all our concerns".

Prayer: "Heavenly Father, thank you for peace that overflows our souls when we trust in you. Amen".

Ike Willis likes this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Today's Upper Room Devotional is titled "Standing Stronger", by Rita J. Flower-Opdycke (Florida, USA) . and the scripture is Psalm 71:19-22, from The message Bible.:)

19Your famous and righteous ways, O God. God, you've done it all! Who is quite like you?
    20 You, who made me stare trouble in the face, Turn me around; Now let me look life in the face. I've been to the bottom;
    21 streaming with honors; turn to me, be tender to me,
    22 And I'll take up the lute and thank you to the tune of your faithfulness, God. I'll make music for you on a harp, Holy One of Israel.

Prayer:
    Heavenly Father, help us comfort others with the strength you give us. Amen.

Ike Willis likes this.
  8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Today's Devotional is titled "Reflections" , by Gavin Leverton (Cape Town, South Africa) and the scripture is Philippians 4:4-9 from The Message Bible.

4 Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! 5 Make it as clear as you can to all you meet that you're on their side, working with them and not against them. Help them see that the Master is about to arrive. He could show up any minute! 6 Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray.

Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. 7 Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.

8 Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious - the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. 9 Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.

Prayer: Dear Lord, calm us so that we can find your peace for ourselves and then share it with others around us. Amen.

K E Gordon and Ike Willis like this.
  9. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Being as I just read some experiences of people who died and went to Hell..I think I am going to try to be a better person in my life. I am not sure where I am on the whole faith thing..but why chance living eternity in misery? I think I am a decent person...but there is always room for improvement! :) Thanks for sharing Joe Riley!

Joe Riley likes this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The Upper Room devotional for today is titled "Great is your Faithfulness", by Jim Weems (Mississippi, USA) and the scripture reading is Lamentations 3:19-23, from The message Bible.

19 "I'll never forget the trouble, the utter lostness, the taste of ashes, the poison I've swallowed. 20 I remember it all - oh, how well I remember - the feeling of hitting the bottom. 21 But there's one other thing I remember, and remembering, I keep a grip on hope: 22 God's loyal love couldn't have run out, his merciful love couldn't have dried up. 23 They're created new every morning. How great your faithfulness"!

Prayer: Dear God, thank you for the mercies you give every morning. When we despair, help us to turn to you. Amen.

Ike Willis likes this.
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"Message in a bottle that washed up on a North Sea island 108 years after being dropped as part of a science experiment is confirmed as the world's oldest".

"A message in a bottle tossed into the sea by British scientists which washed ashore in Germany more than 100 years later has been confirmed as the world's oldest. The historic missive was sent by George Parker Bidder between 1904 and 1906 - along with a postcard and the promise of a shilling to the finder. It was eventually picked up in April last year by retired post office worker Marianne Winkler as she holidayed on the island of Amrum, off the north coast of Germany".

[​IMG]

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Today's Upper Room Devotional is titled "Praying For Patience", by Ernest S. Lyght (New Jersey, USA). The scripture is Isaiah 40:27-31, from The Message Bible.

27 Why would you ever complain, O Jacob, or, whine, Israel, saying, "God has lost track of me. He doesn't care what happens to me"? 28 Don't you know anything? Haven't you been listening? God doesn't come and go. God lasts. He's Creator of all you can see or imagine. He doesn't get tired out, doesn't pause to catch his breath. And he knows everything, inside and out. 29 He energizes those who get tired, gives fresh strength to dropouts. 30 For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall. 31 But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, They run and don't get tired, they walk and don't lag behind.

Prayer: Dear God, as we rush through life, slow us down. Teach us how to wait with patience and hope. Amen.

13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"Evil is present to control and deceive us. We are not at peace with ourselves or with God. That is what the Cross of Christ is all about: to reconcile us to God and to give us a new nature". - Billy Graham

Galatians1:3-4,from The Message Bible
    3 So I greet you with the great words, grace and peace! 4 We know the meaning of those words because Jesus Christ rescued us from this evil world we're in by offering himself as a sacrifice for our sins. God's plan is that we all experience that rescue.

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"The Grace is God's: the faith is ours. God gave us the free will with which to choose. God gave us the capacity to believe and trust". -BillyGraham

Ephesians 2:8-9 "Saving is all his idea, and all his work. All we do is trust him enough to let him do it. It's God's gift from start to finish! 9 We don't play the major role. If we did, we'd probably go around bragging that we'd done the whole thing"!
    The Message Bible

15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Today's Upper Room Devotional is titled "Focusing on the Devine", by Bill Kidwell (Ohio, USA). The scripture is Acts 17:24-27 taken from The Message Bible.

24 "The God who made the world and everything in it, this Master of sky and land, doesn't live in custom-made shrines 25 or need the human race to run errands for him, as if he couldn't take care of himself. He makes the creatures; the creatures don't make him. 26 Starting from scratch, he made the entire human race and made the earth hospitable, with plenty of time and space for living 27 so we could seek after God, and not just grope around in the dark but actually find him. He doesn't play hide-and-seek with us. He's not remote; he's near.

Prayer: Dear God, help us to be more aware of your presence in all that you have created. Amen.