Memorial Day Plans

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by K E Gordon, May 24, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Does anyone have any Memorial Day plans? I am not doing much but I am sure to do some barbecuing at some point. The main thing is that a couple of us are going to a free concert at one of the local wineries on Friday. It is a sunset concert series.

2. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

I get to work fri,sat sun, and mon. All nine hour days, not much time left for celebration.

3. K E Gordon

Registered

OH my that is a problem. That nasty 4 letter word always rears its ugly head when it comes to celebrations and holidays. I noticed in the forecast they are predicting
    heavy showers again for Monday. I think that is certain to rain out some peoples celebrations. It is never good when it "rains on your parade so to speak." Oh well. what can you do?

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We will be driving some friends (from California) around Maine for a week.

5. K E Gordon

Registered

Oh that sounds like fun Ken. I bet they will really enjoy the different area. I bet they will be surprised at all the greenery in Maine. I know I was surprised at all the dryness I saw in California, although Northern California was definetly green and lovely in spots. I hope you have fun with your friends. It is one of the ways to explore nature with some buddies.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Because we live right in town, and there is always a lot of traffic here on holidays, we usually plan ahead to have all of our shopping done and just stay right here at home.
    If we get something to barbeque, then Bobby will probably do that as well, and i will maybe make potato salad to go along with what ever he barbeques.
    It is supposed to be in the 90's for the rest of this month, so hot and sunny here all weekend long. Lots of people will be out having picnics probably, and the whole neighborhood will smell like barbeques and picnics.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    K E Gordon likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

As I stated in another Thread about Memorial Day, we will display our flags, bbq some burgers, might make some tater salad and end the day watching a Memorial Day Celebration on tv (military type).

For us, it sure isn't a day to be on streets/freeways or on the water. Way too much traffic in any of those areas!

8. K E Gordon

Registered

I am gonna make some potato salad too. I will put a bit of plain yogurt in with the mayo though..so I don't have all that fat. I'd really like some ribs but I will have to see the prices. I have veggie burgers too, and hamburger rolls that have to be used up. Oh the people that live near me for sure will be having some kind of picnic or barbecue you can be sure. They have a party every weekend. I should ask them where my invite is...lol.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

You must have rich neighbors! I mean, to have a party every weekend during the summer months sure can't be cheap. Since we are the "Party" type couple, we'd sure like to know them. But, that just depends on how old or young they are. Some people think a Party is sitting around drinking wine, eating Hors d'oeuvres and gabbing. Not us! Keg of Bud Light, nice thick beef burgers on the grill with all the other fixings AND Motown, Oldies and Classic Rock blasting.

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

:( We'll be thinking fun thoughts for you.

11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I just picked up a rack of barbecue rubbed ribs, a pound and a half of nice size shrimp and some boneless, skinless chicken breasts to grill. A long with that we will have baked potatoes, some greens, and some kind of beans. :) I'm all desserted out with the graduation and birthday party we had this past week so we'll skip dessert this time around. Well...actually my Honey will end up snacking on some of his Chip Ahoy chewy Reese's peanut butter cup cookies that I also stocked up while I was getting the meat and seafood for our grill. :)

Other than this I will be packing and getting myself ready to leave on Tuesday for 3 weeks in Texas.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

It's going to be a quiet weekend for me, just the way I like it. I'm going to do more reading and less television watching. The neighborhood will be hopping, and so will the area, since it's sort of a tourist destination, and our little neighborhood beach draws a crowd. I tried to get most of my chores out of the way so I could relax, and hopefully the rain is over, at least for a few days. I need to quiet my mind, and reading is the perfect way to do that. I'll do some of that on the balcony, if the heat isn't too bad, and I have some chicken tenders to cook up, but I'm not sure yet if I'll do them on the stove or barbecue.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We'll be leaving Maine today, after a road trip through much of the state, and will spend a couple of days in Boston before returning home to resume normal activities.

Diane Lane likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We will probably cook out on the grill at least one of the days this weekend, but no plans for being out anywhere but home.
    The new swimming pool arrived , so we have to start preparing the area where that is going to go, and might work on that a little this weekend, or not.
    The fitness center is on the schedule for today, and again on Monday, so that is about the only times we will leave here unless I have to go to Kroger for something.
    So far the neighborhood is fairly quiet, no shooting or fireworks or any of those kinds of disruptions.

Pretty much holidays are just days for us anymore.

Diane Lane and Babs Hunt like this.
  15. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't end up taking it easy yesterday. I actually accomplished a lot, because I wanted to do as much as possible so I could get caught up on things that have fallen by the wayside so I can relax later today and tomorrow. I'm hoping to make the coconut bars today. I had planned to make them yesterday, but I overdid it again, so had to push them back to today or tomorrow. The neighbors have a lot of family visiting, which I like, because they're somewhat quiet, especially at night, and often sleep in campers in their driveway, so I don't have to bother putting on the back and side lights, or worrying as much about hoodlums.

It's not as if I live in a terrible area, but the teenagers and young adults here seem to think it's a rite of passage to go through people's mail, toss it in the ditches, ruin mailboxes, go through any unlocked vehicles and steal whatever they find, go through sheds doing the same, etc. That's in addition to the druggies who do the same, and sometimes worse. Have I mentioned I'm a fan of the Castle Doctrine also known as Stand Your Ground Law?

@Yvonne Smith I have no doubt I'll be hearing many gun shots and also the other 'celebratory' noises such as loud music and fireworks. Hopefully we'll all get a little peace and quiet, though, so we can relax and spend some time focusing on the reason for the holiday.