Makin' Biscuits

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Beth Gallagher, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Recently I learned of an easy biscuit recipe using 2 ingredients... self rising flour and heavy cream. There are tons of youtube videos about the biscuits, though most of the videos are annoying as hell with too much "blah, blah, blah" for 15 minutes. :rolleyes: I mean seriously... TWO ingredients should make about a 3 minute video start to finish, right?? But I digress. :D

Most of the "recipes" instruct to use similar amounts of flour and cream... a 1-to-1 ratio. I found that for a cup of self-rising flour, I only needed about 3/4 cup of cream to get to a good consistency dough. This made 5-6 biscuits but that depends on how large you make each biscuit. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes on a greased baking pan.

Well, they were certainly easy enough. Personally I found them a bit lacking... needed a bit more fat/shortening or something. I suppose they will do in a pinch; anything tastes good with enough butter on it.

So. How do you make biscuits??

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

LOL. Romans 8:28. (I preached at least a hundred messages using biscuits as the key)

To me, nothing that is noteworthy all by itself but put ‘em all together and bake at 400 for around 15 min and it all comes together for good.
    Flour, Buttermilk, pinch of salt, baking powder and lard. (yes, self rising flour is good too)

And, like ya said Beth, slab some butter on them (or bacon grease white gravy) and yup..them’s biscuits.

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Your recipe is similar to my regular biscuits, Bobby. Except I use Crisco or butter instead of lard. I can still see my mother making biscuits in her apron... she'd make a little well in a mound of flour and just add the shortening, milk, etc. and work it with her hands.

Jake Smith, Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I whap a helically wrapped tube over my granite counter, witness the power of expansion and hear the pop, and then carelessly place the already shaped blobs on a greased pan and bake. I find the packet country gravy a bit more challenging but usually get a good consistency if I read the instructions.

5. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i used to make em...buttermilk...flour...butter...little salt...hot iron skillet....shove in hot oven....now..
    the Pillsbury dough boy'll do

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

If I recall correctly, Bisquick is a pretty good product to have on hand. It’s been years since I had a Bisquick biscuit and can’t remember if I was really hungry at the time which would mean that anything would be tasty or if they were really good.

7. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to just pour into a skillet...cut later...pone bread...with gravy...yea!

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Bisquick makes great pancakes and biscuits. I still have some around here that is probably going stale as the small Kodiak pancakes requiring only a toaster have taken rule around here.

Jake Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, y'all are going to shame me into admitting that I have these in the freezer...

upload_2022-4-5_9-41-40.png

10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I knew it!!!!! :p :)

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

To think about it though, I haven’t made biscuits in a long time.
    Seems to me that if I have some bacon or hamburger grease, some flour and milk then I make gravy to throw the mix over a couple slices of bread.
    When I’m hungry, I’m hungry and 5 minutes as opposed to 15-20 to “git er done” is a good trade off.

Jake Smith and Faye Fox like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I've had an over-abundance of flour since The Great Hoard of 2020, so I've been baking bread and other stuff a lot lately to use it up. (It's time to start The Great Hoard of 2022 and I need pantry space. :p )

Jake Smith likes this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can't imagine making biscuits without any fat. After all--like gravy--weren't they invented specifically as a way to use leftover grease so as to not waste it? Ya gotta dance with the one that brung ya.

I've made from-scratch a few times in my life. I've also made Bisquick. Recently I bought some refrigerated canned from Aldi solely on impulse because they're only 69¢ for an 8 pak and they make a handy meal addition. But I've gone years and years without having a biscuit. We never had them when I was a kid, and I've not really been all that fond of them. I'll have one or two of those canned biscuits and the rest sit in the freezer forever, eventually getting eaten solely because they're there and not due to any biscuit hanker. About the best I can say is "they'll eat."

Jake Smith likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The heavy cream provides the fat.

Jake Smith and John Brunner like this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Knead in shortening, buttermilk and flour. Easy and quick. Even easier if you spoon drop them instead of rolling them out.

Jake Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.