Low Potassium And More Fatigue

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Joy Martin, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Interesting, I found a 32 oz bottle on ebay for $48 and some with higher prices...so yes it's pricey. I do not shop Amazon and just thinking of spending some bucks on sockeye salmon from my market, and I know it's gone sky high.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The one I got from Amazon was $34 with the discount, for the 32 oz bottle, @Joy Martin. I have been trying to remember how much I paid for the same thing back 30 years ago (1990 actually), and I am pretty sure that I paid over $25 a bottle for it way back then, so the price has actually not increased that much after so many years.
    Since potassium, magnesium, and iodine are all very important for our heart, spending a little over a dollar a day to protect my heart seemed like an excellent idea, and well worth the cost.
    This does not cause heart palpitations like the bottled potassium supplements can do, so it is well accepted by the body. It also helps to normalize blood pressure, which seems to be an issue with a lot of seniors, as well as helping with anti-aging, and detoxing the body.
    I am going to try the first bottle and see if I am feeling the difference.

Joy Martin likes this.
  3. Joy Martin

Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Many years ago I used to supplement potassium buy using the powder in a glass of unsweetened grapefruit juice each day. A few months ago I had some blood work done, and of all the goofy things, my potassium level was the only vitamin/mineral above the top end of the range. The weird thing is that potassium is one of the few things that I do not currently supplement. I forget exactly what I read about trying to hit the right amount and the risks of over-supplementing that made me decide to not supplement it in the first place.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
    Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Excellent, @Joy Martin ! This is actually the company that makes the Matol KM now, and it looks like you will get it cheaper from them with the free shipping than even Amazon offers.
    I hope that it helps you, too !

6. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

About 14 years ago I started taking blood pressure meds the VA prescribed. They also started me on water pills because I had ankle swelling really bad. Then Potassium was issued and I did not take the potassium because I didn't know what it was for. I suffered for a long time with severe muscle cramps like my two hamstrings and legs and feet. It was terrible and sometimes it would take as long as 30 minutes for both to finally relax. I noticed it happening if I was laying flat and stretched my legs out. I finally ask about that potassium and then I was told that it was for preventing those cramps and pains due to the water pills removing the normal potassium in the body. Today I get a double content pill, water pill that has the potassium mixed with it. I have had a couple lower leg cramps after restarting the meds again but not as severe as it was a few years ago. All meds have become so expensive today I stopped buying a few things that I would normally buy like say for instance over 50 vitamins. I know they work because I was borderline low on magnesium at one time and when I started the vitamin it brought things back to normal.

Today just a bottle of 24 Tylenol "non branded" 650Mg are over 6 dollars at the dollar store. I get so mad when I see they are so disgustingly criminal they sell 24 tablets and it should be a crime for a drug manufacturer to reduce a bottle of any med lower than a normal 30 day supply. We have no people doing their job in government who are being paid to stop things like this. The latest surprise last week is the 6 roll of paper towels, now one half the diameter than the previous purchase. The gouging is one of the worst crimes by corporations I have ever seen in 75 years, it is just sad. How could this nation all of a sudden not be able to produce the same amounts of product since that half wit was put into the oval office. All of these gouging corporations should be forced to repay for all the over pricing. If this is the future then they need to seriously raise our SS and pensions up to the new value of the dollar.

7. Joy Martin

Registered

Yes, that is true and this company has an incentive plan too as many are needing to work more and more and many from home. I don't know if I will buy it yet as I'm so tired of trying new things and this ole body is getting more tired anyway..... i'm still banking on Methylene Blue to do Something and what I was hoping for....

Reduced chronic pain.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Joy Martin

Registered

There are Blood Pressure pills that Pull potassium out of the bodies....So I will continue with my extra dosing of otc potassium glucconate. Every now and then I stretch out my body and can end up with the narley tight spasm. Takes a little while to relax it .... so that could be potassum and magnesium issues. I believe there is higher magnesium in meats and I've but way back on meats.

And the gougers are criminal. I'm thinking of buying myself a treat of frozen sockeye salmon and it use to go for 10 or more a lb and the other day my market is selling it for $16 a lb.....

We don't have a walmart nearby so I wonder if they sell quality salmon....giess I could look see.

9. Joy Martin

Registered

Thomas: I buy my otc pain stuff on ebay, and buy at least 100 at a time or even more. None of that 24 count. It lasts me and I don't buy soon again.

10. Joy Martin

Registered

Potassium comes only in 99mg dose, I take 3-4 99mg a few times daily thru the day....Food alone does not give us ENOUGH.

Symptoms of Low Potassium in One's Body:

• Muscle weakness, fatigue, or cramps
    • Constipation
    • Tingling or numbness
    • Abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmia), such as skipped heartbeats or an irregular heartbeat
    • Low blood pressure (hypotension)
    • Lightheadedness or faintness
    • Excessive urination (polyuria)
    • Excessive thirst (polydipsia)
      Mount Sinai
      Low potassium level Information | Mount Sinai - New York
      Symptoms · Constipation · Feeling of skipped heart beats or palpitations · Fatigue · Muscle damage · Muscle weakness or spasms · Tingling or numbness.
      Healthdirect
      Potassium deficiency - symptoms, causes, diagnosis, treatment
      What are the symptoms of potassium deficiency? Some people with potassium deficiency don't experience any symptoms. If you do have symptoms, they may include: weakness and fatigue. feeling tired. muscle cramps. an abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmia) — skipped heartbeats or an irregular heartbeat.
      Cleveland Clinic
      Low Potassium Level Causes (Hypokalemia) - Cleveland Clinic
      More severe cases of low potassium may cause signs and symptoms such as: * Muscle twitches. * Muscle cramps. * Severe muscle weakness, leading to paralysis. * Low blood pressure (hypotension). * Lightheadedness or faintness. * Abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias). * Excessive urination (polyuria). * Excessive thirst (polydipsia).
      medicalnewstoday.com
      Potassium deficiency (hypokalemia): Symptoms and treatment
      Apr 30, 2019 — Symptoms of potassium deficiency, or hypokalemia, can include constipation, kidney problems, muscle weakness, fatigue, and heart issues. Poor diet, illnesses that cause severe vomiting or diarrhea, and certain medications can lead to low potassium levels. Learn more here.
      WebMD

Joy Martin, 13 minutes ago

11. Joy Martin

Registered

I have a couple good friends who have NOT been on top of potassium as I have been, and they both have been dx'd with afib and on heart meds now, thank goodness I have no afib issues, and last couple check up's doc and nurse did not mention any negatives on the heart/..

I never let my stock of potassum run low....I'm popping them thru m,y day..

12. Joy Martin

Registered

98% Americans Deficient --- Way Worse Than I Was Understamding,,,, Think of all
    https://nutritionfacts.org/blog/98-of-american-diets-potassium-deficient/ the heart issues for one thing IF Everyone was sufficient in Potassium.....afib, strokes, etc. Here is an excellent
    potassium education:

ihttps://nutritionfacts.org/blog/98-of-american-diets-potassium-deficient/

So ,much the medicine world DOES NOT want us to know about minerals and Nutrition......