Low Iron Levels

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Kate Ellery, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I had a blood test a week ago ,seen the doctor yesterday ,he said I have very low iron levels ..I don't mean to sound rude but I could not understand most he said ..he gave me a script and a sample kit to collect you know what ..
    What are some of the best foods high in iron ? Sure I can look up the minefield of info on th net ,however I'd prefer ideas from members who may have experienced this is due them selfs or know someone with the issue ...yes sure I've been feeling "flat" but I've just put that down to being busy with the garage sale .....I don't eat or like great deal of red meat ..

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Have a read of this @Kate Ellery ...this will help you a lot...you don't have to eat meat although it's an excellent source of iron you can get iron from lentils , Green veggies...Oatmeal and loads of other things.. but it's important if your GP has given you supplements that you take them...and also to do the tests because low Iron levels can sometimes be symptom of something else going on in the body...so they will have to find out what's going on..it may just be that your leverls are low due to lack of iron in your diet, and that is easily remedied, but if it's something more it's best they can find out asap!!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/spotlight-high-iron

Ruby Begonia and Kate Ellery like this.
  3. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not a big red meat eater @Kate Ellery
    Myself, I like to eat things like Cream of Wheat cereal ... it's very high in Iron...
    And dried fruit, like Apricots help also. Those are my two favorites.

Ruby Begonia and Kate Ellery like this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Liver is a good source of iron, but so are dark leafy greens.

Bonnie Thomas and Ruby Begonia like this.
  5. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

All of the above, but I will add clams. They are super high in iron, second only to liver.

Sheldon Scott and Bonnie Thomas like this.