Low Carb: What Are We Eating?

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Steve North, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Monday will be another ........ HOK ....... day .....

2. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I am on a low carb diet, but in this facility, it is not observed closely and I have a terrible time trying to eat a balanced diet. 21731167_10203747233317570_497734473861246991_n.jpg

3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't read all the replies since there are so many so this may have been said, but carbs provide energy which is why runners load up on pasta before a race. Energy is good.

Lois Winters likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is probably true enough for athletes and for runners , but not true if you have insulin sensitivity, which many overweight people have.
    When you are insulin sensitive, carbs do not get used for energy like they should , because insulin is what puts the sugar from your bloodstream into the cells to use as energy.

Instead, your blood sugar gets too high when you eat fast-acting carbs, and it gets stored as fat instead of burned for energy.
    Then, you get fatter, but still have no energy.
    Slower digesting carbs, like most vegetables, do not affect blood sugar and insulin the same way, so insulin-resistant people can eat those in moderate amounts.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Steve North

Registered

Ed.................. Welcome ......
    Did you ever hear of a "trigger food"??? .......... Well I have a trigger food which is carbs.. We all have a food that when we eat it we want to eat more.. Different foods for different people..
    A trigger food is a food that when you eat it you want to eat more of it.. It is extremely hard not to keep on eating if you have this problem.. That is why many can sit down and eat a complete large bag of potato chips, or cookies, or chocolates, or whatever...
    Carbs are not bad providing they are good carbs and not bad ones..
    Those that are professional athletes fall into a different category as they need the energy to burn up the carbs..
    We don't fall into that category as we are NOT professional athletes.. If we were to follow their way of eating, we would weigh 400 pounds..
    speaking of which, I used to weigh around the 360 pounds and through the low carb system I am now down to about 205 pounds .. Work out how many pounds that is and I have kept it off for about 40 years..
    By first eliminating the 5 main foods and gradually limiting them back into my food plan (very limited) after reaching my goal, I have managed to keep the weight off, and for good, as I will NEVER go back to being that huge again as I once was...
    Low carbing isn't for everyone.... Just for those that want a food plan that is healthy and it works to lose weight..
    Diets don't work, food plans work... The reason diets don't work is, as soon as you go off it, you gain back the weight you loss with interest..
    Food plans are for life.....

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Steve North

Registered

Supper tonight (Tuesday) was some soul food................ MEATLOAF.... made with minced chicken..
    Steamed broccoli..
    Stewed peaches
    Pot of tea..

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Hey Ed.....Welcome to the party!

Ya just can’t compare runners and other athletes with the normal everyday Joe.
    For an athlete, everything taken in is for a definite purpose and plays a huge role on how one performs.
    A bodybuilder who works out for a single hour per day will burn about 1000 calories during that hour and needs the carbs not only for glucose generation but to prevent the body from going for the proteins that are needed to build muscle fiber. That said, the carbs are only taken in before a workout or competition and nothing or very little afterward.
    A runner in a half marathon (about 200 lbs) will burn up about 2000 calories in a two hour span and again, needs those carbs for glucose generation during the race but will take in very few carbs after a race.

The average person isn’t by any means as active as an athlete and doesn’t need to worry as much about glycoprotein genesis since the major portion of the diet is protein and most people are basically categorized as sedentary. Heck, even most bodybuilders check the box *sedentary* when they’re calculating the daily dietary macros.

The bottom line is that unless a person is extremely active, no one really NEEDS many carbohydrates and some people do well without them at all.
    Everyone has their own lifestyle and should do the research about what type of nutritional program they wish to employ and by research I mean study the options and study them to the max.
    If all a person does is read that this does that without knowing all the details of why, what, how and where it does it, that person will wind up pretty lost in the whole process of things.

In all points of life, if all a person knows is “a little bit” then the chances are of things backfiring or becoming totally nonfunctional are much greater.

Steve North and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Steve North

Registered

supper tonight was B/S chicken breast cut open with a pocket and stuffed with veggies and cheese and baked in the oven..
    For the stuffing I used finely chopped onion, broccoli florets, diced mushrooms, diced pepper, grated cheddar and grated mozzarella.. Mayonnaise, fresh dill, and spices was added as well..
    Peas was the veggie to go with it as there was loads of veggies in the chicken ..
    Peach halves..
    Pot of tea...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Milla Jonas

Milla Jonas Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

10. Steve North

Registered

It was and I often stuff the chicken breast with different things.. This one is liked by my wife and myself..
    Next time I will try to use smaller breast as these were too big and there was too much to eat..
    Also you must NOT overcook the breasts in the oven or they will come out dry...... 400f for 30 minutes is ample...

11. Steve North

Registered

Its cool out here and perhaps it is time for some homemade soup in the slow cooker.......
    Yesterday it was a daytime high of -18c and at night it dropped down to -32c with a wind-chill of -41c...
    Homemade soup will be appreciated for sure especially after going out for a lovely walk..

Now, I don't know if I have enough veggies to put in it.. I will check and if not, shopping day id coming up...

12. Steve North

Registered

Today Saturday is food shopping day....
    I will buy something for supper as well as a ton of veggies to make a soup..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Steve North

Registered

I didn't buy anything for supper..
    When we got home, I had nothing for supper in mind and we were hungry..
    I threw together FAST a vegetable casserole with tuna in it...

14. Steve North

Registered

Let me tell you what happened to me while food shopping....... sounds crazy, but it is crazy..
    When I entered the supermarket, I put the canvas grocery bags in the shopping cart and I put my grocery list in the bag on top facing out so I can see what to buy.. I do this all the time..
    Well, as I was going through the store towards the beginning, I looked at my list and it wasn't there.. somehow it fell out of the bag and I had lost it.. OK.. Now I have to think what was on the list and hope I buy everything I need.. We all know that is impossible as my list was rather long.. I did the best I could but that meant going up and down EVERY isle to see what there is and if I need it or not..
    I did my best....... Naturally I forgot several items but life goes on..
    The funniest thing is, I bought something I thought I needed and when I got home I realised I already had 2 of them in the food pantry.. Now I have 3... That was a sauce I use to make my chicken breasts in.. One jar can last me 2 months and I have 3 jars..
    We are back food shopping again early next week so I won't be that bad off.......... MAYBE ...!!!!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Steve North

Registered

No menu for supper tonight...
    It is the first night of Chanukah and we are off to friends house for a traditional supper..
    I have been asked to bring a Caesar salad which is no problem..... done ...!!!!
    This meal will definitely NOT be a low carb meal.. Does it really matter for just this time....... Not at all...
    We will go and enjoy ourselves and not worry about too many carbs for tonight...
    After all, I am on maintenance and can handle some extra carbs once in a while..

Yvonne Smith likes this.