Love American Eggs

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Tom Galty, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Hate their bacon and their breakfasts.

2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I do not like the English Breakfast with the un healthy fried eggs, sausage, black pudding etc.
    Give me Eggs Benedict with crispy bacon, yogurt and fresh fruit.

Bess Barber likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have been told that breakfast is the only British food that is edible. In the video, I would appreciate everything but the black pudding. I would prefer the Welsh seaweed and oats to kidneys and blood.

Bobby Cole, Tom Galty and Bess Barber like this.
  4. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I know that is always touted, @Bess Barber but I don't think it is true. Ovo-lacto vegetarians live long lives, but vegans don't. A study was done by NASA in the 1970s or 80s that showed the average vegan actually lives a shorter life than the average carnivore if their activity levels are the same. It is one of those studies that didn't show what they wanted, so it was suppressed. The cause was unknown, but the study's author proposed that vegans generally do not take in enough fat to process many of the fat-soluble nutrients, such as the vitamin A, D, and K. I heard the issue addressed by the study's author in an interview. A lot of dietary studies were done by NASA when they were developing dietary regimens for the space program. I was invited to join one, but declined.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@ Don Alaska Thanks! I didn't know that. I have one friend and one relative who is vegan and they annoy the crap out of me when it comes to food.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

It is a fable that is spread by many anti-meat sources. Linda McCartney is a good example. She was a dedicated vegan, she died aged 56--a ripe old age for vegans--and she died from cancer--according to the researcher I heard that is the most common cause of death for vegans. Of course, there are exceptions on both sides of the dietary argument, but vegans don't always live longer than carnivores, and must take supplements to remain healthy.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

What absolute Tosh!!

9. Eileen Barnes

Eileen Barnes Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My niece is vegan and gluten free. I suggest we meet after lunch. It’s too complicated for me.
    Eileen

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Breakfast should consist of fried potatoes or hash browns, fried (or poached) eggs, and breakfast meat. Acceptable breakfast meats include bacon, Canadian bacon, ham or several different kinds of sausages. Corned beef hash can be used as a substitute for the potatoes, but you would still need to include the breakfast meat. On rare occasions, fruit or some form of oatmeal might be acceptable, but no more than once a month. Every breakfast requires coffee. Orange juice is optional, but it cannot substitute for the coffee.

11. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken, at last! Our hearts are one! LOL

12. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

I love Black Pudding.

But when in America quite like the American breakfasts except for the streaky bacon.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I had a friend who spent a good deal of time in the UK, and the opinion I expressed was his. Anything I have been exposed to(mostly at British naval bases) has been fine, but black pudding doesn't appeal to me. Many of my relatives, who were of German descent made blood sausage , blood pudding, scrapple, and head cheese, although none of that appealed to me either. My mother's family is from Scotland, and haggis doesn't sound good. I might try any or all of it, but I don't think I would go out of my way to do so.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

You could ask for ham or Canadian bacon if the restaurants offer it. Most restaurants also offer link sausage, but it may be different than what you are used to. Canadian bacon is made from the loin, so it will be leaner.

15. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I love Black Pudding and Haggis!! On the Continent they make blood sausage too, but it's got rice in it and it's very spicy However anyone having the traditional greasy fry up on a regular basis wouldn't live long enough to tell the tale..

The traditional fried Scottish breakfast consists of, Square sausage, Link sausage , bacon, Eggs, Black & White pudding, potato scone, haggis..Fruit pudding ( the latter is a fruit filled suet steamed pudding which can be eaten as a savoury or a dessert , and as part of a breakfast is sliced and fried) mushrooms or beans...

There are several Traditional Scottish breakfasts!

Another is smoked kippers...

..and of course the 3rd is the longest surviving breakfast of Porridge Oat or Oatmeal as Americans seem to know it better

.. of course, tho' this is all tradition... and mostly people eat what everyone else in the western world eats...fruit & juice, or cold cereals , or porridge, or blended health drinks or muesli....etc...

Don Alaska, Bobby Cole and Tom Galty like this.