Living In Assisted Living

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 5, 2017.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Dude.

You scream at people to wear a mask because it protects others.

Leave your mask on.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

You do know that the vast majority of people who have tested positive were not sick, don't you? This was true even before the vaccines. Testing positive is not the same thing as having COVID-19. I test positive for tuberculosis but have never had tuberculosis.

Jim Brown and John Brunner like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

I think this belongs in the "Make Me Laugh" section, Cody.

4. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry, but no. It is sad that you believe this. Typhoid Mary was an asymptomatic carrier that infected 53 people, 3 of whom died, with typhoid, and I'm sure she just wanted everyone to keep their nose out of "her business".

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

I don't think we completely disagree.

The Vaccinated can be asymptomatic carriers. In fact, getting vaccinated increases the odds that a carrier will be asymptomatic (in my opinion.) Therefore, The Vaccinated should be required to keep wearing their masks. If the government says otherwise, then The Mask Mandate has little to do with health & safety...or the government is creating Typhoid Marys.

And I don't think either of us truly believes that grabbing a scarf out of the On Sale bin at Walmart and putting in on our faces provides a single benefit.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  6. Hoot Crawford

Registered

{shrug} Again, I'll take the word of my mother's doctors and nurses because, for example, your first statement is categorically wrong.

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-accurate-are-rapid-covid-tests#how-accurate-is-it

Here's the nitty gritty:
    Chances of a rapid test giving a false positive
    Rapid tests rarely give a false positive result. A false positive is when you test positive for COVID-19 when you don’t actually have it.

In the March 2021 review of studies mentioned earlier, the researcher found that rapid tests correctly gave a positive COVID-19 result in 99.6 percent of people.

And I'm done with this conversation....

7. Ken Anderson

I am not talking about false positives, @Hoot Crawford. I am talking about the fact that the vast majority of people who test positive for the virus do not have the disease. They are not the same thing. The test is for the virus, and that's not the same thing as having the disease known as COVID-19. The test is for the virus, not the disease.

That's probably a good idea.

8. Hoot Crawford

Registered

Okay, one more thing. Saying "they have they virus but they don't have the disease" is just a weak attempt to unsay what you said.

Try again. But this time with something factual.

9. Ken Anderson

Do me a favor, Hoot. Do some homework before you argue with people who know what they're talking about. I said exactly what I meant, and it had nothing to do with false positives. It's no wonder you're scared if you believe that everyone who has tested positive is sick. COVID-19 is the illness caused by the novel coronavirus. Not everyone who tests positive for the virus gets the disease.

That's not the same as a false positive. They may well have encountered the virus and have developed antibodies for it, but have not gone on to get the disease, known as COVID-19 or by other names.

As for false positives, they occur also, but that's not what I was talking about. Everyone at one of our nursing homes here in Millinocket tested positive for the virus several months ago. On a second test, they tested negative. You'd better believe that the first test was still entered into the positive count for the purpose of keeping people scared.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  10. John Brunner

You know, that's sad.

That's an unfair thing to do to someone...you decide you get the last word in and you're calling an end to the interaction.

I wouldn't do that to you.

11. John Brunner

Didn't you mention you fell on a throw rug? I would have thought those to be banned in such a facility...they tell folks living at home to get rid of them.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I actually tripped on a towel that I left on my bath room floor. We can decorate and furnish our apartments as we wish.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Lon Tanner

Registered

It's cealled the COFFEE GRIND --Every Sunday at 10 AM a care worker will come to each apartment with a serving cart carrying coffee,cream,sugar and sweet rolls. I was watching TV when she entered my apartment and served me. Very nice. This event will be in addition to the Sunday Bible study that I do not attend and the scheduled travel docos in the theatre.

Overall----Things have really changed in the three years that I have lived here all due to COVID I'm sure.
    None of the services or food is as good as it once was. Everything is adequate but not as good.

14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

That sounds reasonable Lon. Assisted Living and Nursing Homes still care for the older generations who are more prong to falling, accidents...and death.

15. Lon Tanner

Registered

I can't remember anything good happening and hope the coming 12 months will be good for all of us and life get back to normal.

Hoot Crawford likes this.