Let's Play - Otherwise Known as Exercise

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Mal Campbell, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I belonged to Weight Watchers years ago, and the leader said, "Remember when we were kids and your best friend came over and said - 'Let's go play', she didn't say - 'Let's go exercise' ". I've tried to look at it that way ever since - sometimes more successfully than others!

So what do you do to play - I mean exercise? My husband and I enjoy going for walks, we try to get out everyday. We've also started hiking since moving to Tennessee 2 years ago - there are tons of beautiful state parks here. We love to shoot hoops and we attempt to play tennis - our version includes counting how many times the ball gets over the net, I think our record is up to 10! We also bought a couple of good bikes a few years ago, and enjoy riding them.

We're always looking for good, fun (cheap) things to do - any ideas?

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Harrison Greenberg

Harrison Greenberg Veteran Member
    Registered

I go on walks with my dog everyday for about an hour or 2, and it's really good fitness, and I get to see a lot of people and talk to them. Also, sometimes whenever I have a ball, I would go shoot some or do a few moves with the basketball, but being at an old age limits my movement, but I still try to play everyday.

3. Mal Campbell

Registered

That reminds me of a quote "We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing". Obviously the person that said that didn't have 50 year old knees!

4. Juan Ortega

Juan Ortega Veteran Member
    Registered

I am a practitioner of Tai Chi and other martial arts. I find that the stretches and postures of the training help with longevity and vitality. Just having any forms of exercise as a routine is effective in revitalizing the body to a youthful state. Stretches and yoga based movement is best for gradual improvement.

5. Mal Campbell

Registered

How did you learn Tai Chi? I've always loved watching it done, and have wanted to learn. I've bought a couple of DVDs but they were so slow and boring, I just couldn't get through them. I struggle with depression and I really think that Tai Chi would help - but I just don't know how to get started. There aren't any studios here where I live in Tennessee, so going to classes is out of the question. Thanks for your input.

6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I like to take long walks, I had been walking 6 miles a day at least 3 times a week. I like to dance and will be taking a line dancing class to enjoy more exercise type of play.