Lake Of The Ozarks

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Diana Kristof, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Diana Kristof

Diana Kristof Veteran Member
    Registered

In about a week, I am going on my first vacation in a couple of years! I am very excited. A girlfriend of mine and I are going to drive up to Lake of the Ozarks and stay in her time share there. I have never been there and I'm really looking forward to it.

Has anyone been there? I am looking at photos online and it looks just beautiful. :) I am one to enjoy nature and 'doing nothing,' but I also like to have adventures too. If anyone has been there, what attractions and sites would you recommend? I do already know about the outlet mall nearby and plan to hit it up, so any other suggestions besides shopping would be greatly appreciated!

Very excited. Bouncing off the walls, one might say. :D

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I share your excitement even though I've never heard of it :p
    Maybe your friend has a surprise in store for you, she must know the place pretty well
    Hope to see some photos :)

Diana Kristof likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I lived in Missouri for a while, and it is beautiful iin the summertime. I am pretty sure that I have driven through Camdenton and past at least part of the lake when traveling to Kansas City on the back roads. The lake itself is huge and sprawls out over an immense part of the area, but in long thin threads, and not like a large round lake usually looks.
    I think that you will have a great time visiting there, and it is pretty much of a tourist area. Be sure to post some pictures for us to look at then you come back !
    Here is a map that shows how the lake looks, and apparently it was created when they put in a dam, which blocked several of the rivers that fed into the one they dammed up, and thus created this long and winding lake.
    image.jpeg

Diana Kristof and Ike Willis like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yes, it looks like they've created an interesting area. Although that's the largest in Missouri, they've done that in other places. I think I'd rather live in a more natural habitat, but I think that Missouri didn't have much going for itself otherwise. I just finished the Missouri localities in the directory that I work for, and I learn a lot about a state doing that. I am on the Mississippi towns now, working my way up the alphabet. Each state takes me from six months to a year.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My son and DIL go for long weekends to a lake in Missouri but I'm not sure if it's the one you are talking about.

They love where they go and were even talking about getting a cabin with a few friends of theirs. They are about a 5 hour drive from wherever they always go. They're in Illinois. They've posted pics many times on Facebook, I'll see if I can find if were talking about the same place.

In any case Missouri has lots of beautiful areas....you can't go wrong.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

7. Ken Anderson

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ridgedale doesn't sound familiar @Ken Anderson ....is Table Rock lake there? I just looked at a text from my son last weekend and he said that's where they are, so either they are the same place or they go to different areas in MO.

I'm just going to text him and get to the bottom of this. :)

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ok, they go to Table Rock Lake, he says it's a big lake and is in a lot of towns. Branson is the main town and it's own attraction,

He said Lake of the Ozarks and Table Rock Lake are dammed rivers.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Patsy Faye and Diana Kristof like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Yeah, it's just south of Branson and east of Table Rock Lake. Ridgedale is an unincorporated town so people who aren't from there probably think they're in Branson.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Diana Kristof

Diana Kristof Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank so much for all the thoughts and responses. :) I have been out all day so just got back to my computer! Goodness, I'm exhausted. Driving, shopping, dining. I think I am ready for my trip, though, as far as necessities and clothes. Yay.

I will definitely take pictures, so someone remind me if I get back and haven't posted any!

I think there are a lot of opportunities for boating and hiking in the area. May look into those. I am off to bed now as I'm pooped, but I"ll be around tomorrow. :)

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm jealous. Would love to go to a lake. Have a wonderful time!

14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Lake of the Ozarks is rather centrally-located. We lived southeast of there perhaps 100 miles, in the hilly country where local Missourians call the hills mountains. Very large hills, yes. Our property had a year-round creek flowing through it, crystal-clear. We went to Lake of the Ozarks several times.

Joe Riley likes this.
  15. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

It looks like one good vacation in a lake resort. And as what @Chrissy Page said, there is a cabin there. Its' exciting to have a trip like that particularly if it's your first time. But I got a laugh on reading that line about the mall and it seems you are ready to hit it right now.

I have already mentioned our upcoming trip to the province by the end of the month and I already had bought plane tickets on coming back. But for going there, my husband wanted to take the bus for a 10-hour ride. It's kind of tiring but we both agreed that it is exciting since it is our first time. I also don't have any idea of what we are going to do in that province called Camarines Sur. Tthat's where our country's vice president comes from.