Kudos To Ted Cruz

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Arlene Richards, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is nothing to be ashamed of, however. These programs are in place for people who need them. We pay taxes to support these programs when we're well and working, and we collect whatever we're entitled to when we're not well or when we're unable to work. They are not freebies at all. Every working American pays taxes in order to be able to have this safeguard for those who need them, so it is wholly unreasonable for anyone to have to feel ashamed of availing themselves of them when they are needed. Democrats might do more grandstanding when it comes to the support of such programs, but the truth is that they are enacted by Republicans and Democrats, and I know of very few Republicans who would object to someone receiving an EBT card or subsidized housing when they are eligible for it. No, Republicans talk about those who abuse the system, but "use" and "abuse" are not the same thing at all. You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, and perhaps that's why I didn't view it as being a personal attack.

I don't have statistics for this but, judging purely from people around me, who I know personally, I would guess that a significant percentage of Americans have received taxpayer funding for health care, and that includes those with insurance.

When someone receives care through a federally subsidized health clinic, they receive care on a sliding scale. While the taxpayers may not be directly paying for that person's health care, the taxpayers are allowing these clinics to provide care on a sliding care. The alternative is not something that either Republicans or Democrats want.

No, you have nothing whatsoever to be ashamed of. Hold your head up.

A large percentage of Americans are one paycheck away from homelessness.

A large percentage of Americans will receive taxpayer subsidies for health care at some point in their life. I have, and I was insured and a part owner of a company at the time. While I was operated on for a strangulated hernia, in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, I caught a drug-resistant bacteria. They had to design an antibiotic specifically for the bacteria that I had in my system, and it cost tens of thousands of dollars. I could have sued the hospital I suppose, but that wouldn't have had a conclusion in time for me to receive the necessary antibiotic treatment. Plus there were the costs for the hernia operation itself and the seven weeks that I was in the hospital. I paid a large deductible and copay, the insurance company paid for the bulk of the operation and hospital stay, but I don't even know who paid for the antibiotic. It was provided regardless, because the alternative would have been to have me walking around spreading the disease to other people but, in the end, I'm sure that the taxpayers were stuck with a large portion of the bill. When I was released, I had to take three antibiotics a day for ten days, and they cost $200 apiece - $600 per day - and I paid that because my insurance wouldn't, but I had been given that same antibiotic by IV for several weeks before I was released. Thanks everyone, I'm sure you helped pay for that in one way or another.

In the end, I'm sure that most Americans would rather spend their tax dollars making sure that the genuine needs of Americans are taken care of than to spend it buying military weapons for Syrian rebels, or on bombs to drop on people with brown skin. Unfortunately, we do both.

No, no one should allow themselves to feel ridiculed for making use of a safeguard that was put in place for just that reason.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Hey, I do have some tears, but they are happy tears. I know what real friends I have. What a great bunch of people on this forum. God bless every one of you, and I do mean ALL of you;)

3. Denise Evans

Registered

I would like to get to that point Ken, not be ashamed. I did work and pay my taxes since I was 16. What you said really helped me see it differently. I don't lie, cheat, sneak or steal so maybe I should get "off my back" LOL!!

I'm glad I have this forum, thanks for it:)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

It wasn't necessary to suggest that someone has to support a Democrat in order to receive assistance in housing or food needs, either. In fact, most of what we do here isn't necessary. That doesn't mean that it's wrong.

Denise Evans and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

If it wasn't for my kids I'd be homeless also. When my husband died I was only 53. Hadn't worked in a very long time. Not eligible for anything because I wasn't old enough for SS or widows benefits which start at 60 unless you have children under 18 living with you which I didn't. I had some savings, I lived off of those, then after awhile I got that great job with ES&S which I never would have gotten if not for John, my ex. That ended, then later I split from John and I still had a few years to go with no income. I made a lot of money those 2 years I worked and that and my kids got to me
    Age 60 and my widows benefits.

Without John, there is no way I would get a job that paid $285 a day, plus $100 the days you were flying, plus hotel room up to $125 a night. Plus $35 a day for food.

Some days we on,y worked 4 hours and drove the rest to the next county. The longest we were away from home was 6 weeks in Pennsylvania going to all the different counties. I think I made $10,000 for that and it was fun!

What a scam, eh? :)

ES&S paid me $285 a day and they charged the county $1,500 a day for me, and even more for John because he was project manager.

Denise Evans and Ken Anderson like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Now that I think about it, I was not eligible for one single thing. No medical which is CA's Medicaid thing...no welfare, no food stamps, nothing.

I was expected to get a job. Well, besides the one I had because of John I couldn't even find minimum wage jobs...I wasn't ancient at 53 but not young either and no skills and ones I do have were obsolete.

Oops, just looked up at the Post title and I'm off topic. Sorry.

Bobby Cole and Denise Evans like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

No harm @Chrissy Page. Your little blurb was nothing compared to how much off topic Ted Cruz was last night.

Let's see, I was trying to think of jobs that are now obsolete and the only one I could come up with is the ticket taker and food joint workers at a drive-in movie. Uh, I am absolutely positively passionate about the old drive-ins so maybe Ted Cruz can open one up now that his career options has been limited to some degree.
    Perhaps "Liar, Liar" or "The Ugly Texan" might be his first feature.

Denise Evans and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Lol, actually when I did work way back when it was usually in accounting and I worked on those big machines, don't think they have them anymore. Only had 2 jobs really.

I was in the securities and collections dept in the biggest bank in downtown Chicago on LaSalle street but can't think of the name of the bank.

Then I worked in accounting at Mid Continental Screw Company doing invoices. Nth at was in Lincolnwood, Illinois.

Denise Evans likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

I really don't know how all those things mentioned might change. But for me, security, and I mean not being afraid where the next terrorist attack is going to happen. Or whose going to loose their marble and start shooting people.
    LOL, you are a hoot Bobby;) Don't tell Cruz, promise?? But there is a lovely Drive-In for sale up here. Those were some great days!! The Passion Pit, LOL!! Hey, how about "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", and never forget "Killer Klowns from Outer Space". I liked this one the best, did you know there is a movie called "Pftttt"?? ;)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

Sounds pretty good Chrissy;) I worked at a company in Alabama called Nichols Wire. Their main claim to fame was that teenie wire, staple on the Lipton Tea Bags? That was our wire!! LOL:)

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm impressed!

I just hated telling everyone I worked at a screw company. :)

Denise Evans likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

LOL!! Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but since you brought it up, I can only imagine the comments, fun fun!! Now I can tell folks I have a friend that worked at a screw company, LOL!!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

You're reeeeeaaaaalllly reaching.

As closely as you watch me & my interactions, (borderline obsession) I would think you would remember that Frank said elsewhere he would steer clear of my threads, and I told him that would be fine. Did you forget??? Maybe you should keep better (more copious) notes, or modify your rude compulsion to butt in, control others, and try to be a moderator.

Frank is a big boy. He can take care of himself. ;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  14. Ken Anderson

Again, anyone is free to participate in any thread here. The forum does include a feature that will allow any member to ignore any other member. When used, that member's posts will not be seen, although anyone else's posts in the same thread will be.

Denise Evans and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As I recall, Frank didn't get out of that thread but maybe you're telling him to make up for lost time?
    But, that said, I do agree that you are trying to make up the rules as though you owned this forum. Being snarky is not the best way to make "friends and influence people". Consult that free e-copy of the book by the same name in quotes if you will. Oh yeah, again, Dale Carnegie is the author.

I think Ted Cruz could use a copy as well. I believe there is something about keeping one's word.