Kitty Kats

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Babs Hunt, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

For the longest time I have had my heart set on getting a puppy or at least a fairly young dog for a pet. But lately I have been thinking about Cats. The kitty kats shirt I have on in the picture is one I brought to my daughter's after my granddaughter was born...and everytime I go over there I take it off the hanger and wear it for my Luvey...who since she was a baby has recognized the kitty kat shirt as belong to her Gran Gran. A few weeks ago I finally found a kitty kat shirt and matching shorts for my granddaughter and as you can tell from the pictures...she is just as excited as I am that we both now have kitty kat shirts. :) So now I am thinking maybe this was a sign all along that if I'm going to get a pet...maybe I should consider a cat this time around. Are there advantages to having a cat over a dog?

13390837_10153474714311207_1717683959_n.jpg

13392299_10153474714446207_8447859254813774202_o.jpg

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Cute picture!

I've had both and cats are easier but dogs are more of a companion in my opinion.

My dachshund is like a cat/dog...he's small and likes to just lay by my side. Although cats also come when you call them and of course when you open the can of food but I think dogs know more words and are more in tune to your everyday habits and react accordingly.

Pickles knows when I'm getting ready to go out by the things I do and he runs to his place that's blocked off. He knows at night when I shut my ipad, we're going to my bedroom. Cats are smart but I think dogs are smarter.

He knows me very well and all my habits. Of course there is the negative of barking and I couldn't get Pickles to stop that behavior.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    Babs Hunt likes this.
  3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Isn't that sweet! Looks like your grandchild loves the shirt too that you bought for her! So nice to see everyone enjoying themselves!

Babs Hunt likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Having had cats all my life, I know that they can be wonderful companions. Taking in a shelter cat or a feral cat can be a challenge, and it happens to be one that I enjoy but if you're looking for a solid companion, I would suggest a kitten, and as much time and love that you can put into the cat, the cat is likely to give back to you. However, cats are more likely to be individuals than dogs are, I think. You have to earn a cat's love, while a dog will give it freely. Some cats are just not very sociable, while others are very sociable.

As for other issues, it is feasible to go away for a couple of days if you have a cat, as long as the cat has plenty of food and water, and maybe an extra litter box or two. The cat will probably be angry with you when you return but a cat treat or a can of the cat's favorite food usually dulls the anger in a hurry. While you're gone, the cat may seek to relieve its boredom by tearing apart any rolls of toilet paper or paper towels it might find, but there are usually no dire consequences. On the other hand, you wouldn't want to leave a dog in the house for two days.

Some cats will meow at inconvenient times, but other cats rarely talk to you at all. A lot of that is breed specific. Some breeds are talkers, while others aren't. On the other hand, a cat that howls or makes a lot of annoying noises likely has a problem that needs to be corrected. Dogs, of course, bark; and a dog's bark is usually louder than a cat's meow, and dogs are probably more likely to annoy you vocally than cats are.

You have to take your dog for a walk unless you want messes in the house, while cats will use a litter box instinctively. On the downside of that, you will have to scoop and clean the litter boxes, but if you do it every day, it's not so gross. Of course, most people frown on those who leave their dog's messes where they are deposited, so you will have to clean up after them too. If you live in the country, that may not be a problem.

Diane Lane and Patsy Faye like this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I think that is why cats didn't interest me to much before...they always did seem so independent and not as loving as dogs. But then a few years before my moma passed away she found a baby kitten in her front yard one morning, it had been raining that morning and after the rain stopped my mom went to check on her flowers, etc. She heard something crying, she said it sounded like a baby's cry to her...and when she followed the sound she found a tiny soaking wet kitten. My mom has never had a pet, never even showed us in any way that she even liked animals or had any interest in them. But she did love babies just like I do. And when she found that kitten crying and soaking wet...her mothering instincts kicked right in. She got a soft hand towel, picked up that kitten, and took it inside and from that day on she was that kitten's mother. She named him Smokey and he grew into a very handsome smokey colored cat. Smokey loved my moma and the feeling was mutual on my moma's side. He would come and "tell" her when he wanted some loving, and then climb up on her lap and the two of them just basked in their love and affection for each other. My mom would tell Smokey "I love you" and Smokey would just slide his head and neck around my mom's neck and seem to be hugging her. This is the first time I ever saw a cat be loving and affectionate. And it was definitely the first time I ever saw my mom love and be affectionate with an animal. But I don't think Smokey was an animal to my mom...I think he was the baby she found crying and abandoned....and he was her "baby" from that moment on. When my mom died Smokey laid on her bedside nightstand, the one by the side she slept on, for days at a time. A few months after mom's funeral, Smokey somehow got outside and since he was an indoor cat I think he didn't know how to find his way home. A couple days later my husband found Smokey on a plot of land diagonally across from my mom's house. He was dead and it looked like a car had possibly run over him. I wrapped his body in one of my moma's favorite pink shirts and we buried him in moma's back yard not far from her bedroom window. I like to think of my mom and Smokey being together again. It's how it should be.
    Oh by the way, if you see that other cat behind my mom's head...that's Precious...she belonged to my sister but she didn't like Smokey to have all mom's attention. :)
    moma and smokey 001.jpg

I have questions about getting a cat for my husband and I though. @Ken Anderson since you've had cats all your life, can you tell me if cats can get attached to both my husband and me? Because I want to get a pet for both of us. I do go help with my granddaughter often in Texas and come September I will be heading there regularly for awhile to help with our new grandson too. But my husband will be home when I'm not there. It's very rare that one of us isn't home. And if we did take a vacation we would probably want to bring the cat with us. Do you groom cats? I know they do some of that grooming theirselves, but what do we have to do? I think I will get a book from the library on cats but I'd like to know from someone who has lived with them...what will we need to do for them?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    Diane Lane and Patsy Faye like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Before you decide on a cat, take a look at this. Pickles looks just like this dog and he's just as funny.

Yvonne Smith and Babs Hunt like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One reason that many people think that cats are antisocial is that, well, some of them are, but mostly it's because they are less likely to be loving to people who don't love them.

My older cats were with me before I was married and my wife had never had a cat and didn't think she liked them. While they tolerate her now, they would never come to her to be petted. However, the two that we have gotten while we were together liked us both equally. We call it timesharing when they move from one of us to the other.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

So hopefully if we got a kitten and my husband and I both gave it pretty equal attention...it should "timeshare" with us too. :)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I think a cats independence is what I love about them. Yet they still want to be with you (mine sleep on the bed with me every night and I wouldn't want it any other way)

My last two girls were never friends. They were 5+ years apart in age but managed to get a long good enough. After my last old girl passed I got these two littermate sisters. They are now over 5. My last two were good and these two are also. However, they have scratched up some furniture including an antique drop leaf table. They have done this by chasing and sliding and mostly with their back claws I think. But oh well, I'd rather have the cats. My tabby also is still very rambunctious and gets into everything. It's something to think about. I'm a committed cat person so these things come with the territory. Mine are also indoor only.

I adopted them from an add on Craigs List. Asked some questions of the lady about litter box usage etc. Met her at a Walmart parking lot.

I've never had a dog in my adult life. I doubt I ever will. Cats are wonderful companions. There have been times in my life if I hadn't had the cats to come home to I don't know what I would have done.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Is it better to get a pair of cats?

11. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt - Get a Cheetah Babs, vey loyal and they purr too :cool:

Babs Hunt likes this.
  12. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

It's really hard to know. I like that my two kittens were together (I still call them kittens) and they have each other when I'm at work. If you can afford two cats, it would be wonderful to take two in together. And they would love it.

I know about the affordability because I only had my one girl when I was broke and working very low wage jobs. When I graduated from nursing school, I brought a 7 week old kitten home to a 5+ year old grumpy cat. And yet it worked out well enough.

If I had to give an answer, I'd say yes, two kittens! But you would have to be ready for some wild behavior. I put a lot away when I adopted these two. They got into everything. Also had to take curtains down.

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm looking for something a little smaller @Patsy Faye since our home has only around 600 square feet of living area and I'm not to sure my husband would like to share his half with the Cheetah! :D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I remember the crazy hour with my kitties, they'd fly practically and yes curtains are a favorite for them.

I've mostly had cats and wasn't a dog person at all til Pickles, but if my dog dies, that's it. No more dogs and no more cats either

Ken Anderson likes this.
  15. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha Ha - so pleased you're making me laugh Babs :D
    Its been a dreadful day and I need to just relax and hopefully put it behind me
    Thanks again for the cheer - FAB ! x

Yvonne Smith and Babs Hunt like this.