Kind Of Firearm Cleaning Supplies You Use?

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

First, my wife leaves the cleaning to me. Sometimes her hands can get so stiff (arthritis) that she can't even help me load a magazine, but she can still aim the red laser and fire the gun. Why a laser for each handgun...........at our age, we need all the help we can get to hit the target in the middle or close to the middle. LOL

For us: I just ordered (Walmart) a can of REM Spray. Compared to what we have, Break Free CLP Spray, REM isn't foam. Also have: RAMRODZ Barrel and Breech Cleaners (very large Q-Tips, but cotton only on one end). Otters Cleaning Patches, Tactical Performance 9mm Pistol Cleaning Kit and a .22 Rifle Cleaning Kit and quite a few cleaning rags.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

All depends on what you have and how often you shoot. I try to address all my firearms at least annually, whether they have been used or not. Some people swear by the CLP and some don't like it. I think I have some RemClean and I have Hoppes that I have used since I was a child.

3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

My father used 3 in 1 oil on a rag to run through the barrel, so I do it too. It's picks up the dirt and prevents rust.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

For me, oil & other lubricants are not for cleaning; they are for lubing & preventing corrosion. I use solvents for cleaning, then rag or sturdy paper towel (Brawny or Bounty) for drying solvent. Or "Gun Scrubber." For autos, I'll use a quality lube that lasts, like Wilson's Ultima Lube or similar product. I only use Break Free to wipe down the outside of firearms. Break Free is OK for a lube, but it doesn't last long during longer shooting sessions.
    A good tip for cleaning the inside of the slide for autos: A bit of lube or solvent on a paper towel or section of a rag & push it into the slide rails with the narrow end of a gun brush. For more stubborn deposits (like on the feed ramp of autos) the bronze brush is more aggressive.
    [​IMG]
    Otis Technology Blue Nylon All Purpose Gun Cleaning Brush (10 Pack)
    Style:Gun Cleaning Brush + Cleaning Brush

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I use hubby.

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Stiff bristles?

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Compared to some folks, we hardly shoot at all. IOW, once a month, if that. So, when we've got "going to the Range" on our minds, I'll begin cleaning, but only the ones we will use when we go. We rent a lane for an hour and that's plenty of time for us. So, will take a couple of firearms with us, but that's all.

As for CLP, it sprays foam and I can understand why there are those that would rather use REM Oil. If needed, I also use a small, "toothbrush" type copper brush and/or old regular toothbrush.

Did see one YouTube video where the person was using Hoppes, so will have to check that cleaner out.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I think you shoot, but not sure. We have seen very, and I really mean "very", few ladies my wife's age (76) shooting at any range. I was pretty shocked when my wife showed very high interest in rodeo, livestock, guns/target shooting and wildlife mounts when we first met in early 2000. And, she has never lost those interests. Absolutely love it!!

9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Nope, I didn't see that video @Cody Fousnaugh. I just know that some folks think that CLP tries too hard to do everything, so it doesn't do anything perfectly, especially cleaning of guns that have been put away "dirty" and addressed at a later date. I would appreciate the link to the video if you have it.

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I should shoot more to keep my aim but I only used a gun to rid myself of critters after my animals, really.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.