Kids Getting What They Want

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

My dad was very strict but he was generous and I never had to work although I did babysit and was allowed to keep the money.

Back then I got $1 an hour. :)

2. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Bless all of you who encountered such terrible childhood beatings and misfortune. !
    Our family was poor than most, but then again had more than many. Parents worked two jobs a piece for long time, to make sure
    we had all the necessities of life-not so much what we wanted. I do not remember birthdays ever being , more than a homemade cake.
    I am sure there was a trinket or two, but nothing expensive. Christmas time, my brother and I got about 5 presents each, which to us seemed
    a lot. I married right before my 18th BD, and my brother married right after he graduated,after that do not remember any real gifts or Christmas
    gift swapping.
    My girls grew up without their dad for the most part, and as a single mom in the late 60 and 70's, it was hard for me to just feed and house them.
    I do know, most of their Christmas came from my folks,but nothing extravagant. I remember one Christmas in 1976, things were really bad for me, and could not afford a tree. the girls had made decorations at school, so we hung those up. And I had a light of some sort, that I turned on, and we would lay down in the floor and watch the decorations dance on the wall.
    Then in about 1982, after remarrying their dad (geez what a bummer) things were bad again, so we took the only money we had at the time, and bought each of them a little stuffed monkey- can't remember the name but was popular at the time. We both felt really bad, but to this day, each girl remembers that as the best Christmas.
    My husband and I both rarely have bought each other Christmas in 26 years, and even more rare a BD gift. Christmas money was spent on the grand kids, until there became too many to buy for. My youngest daughter and her only child still at home, is about all we see to now, and even so, nothing very elaborate. Last year was pretty good Christmas for us all. Do not see a big one this year, though, as we can barely make ends meet now.
    But, I have never really felt deprived, I think it should be more about getting together and less about what you want or can get.
    Over the years it has occurred to me, that those who grew up with less than most, expect the least. For those who are accustomed to getting much, expect even more.
    I do admire people of wealth, celebrities, people of power, who refuse to give their kids everything. They are like, hey you want a car, get a job. There are some- can't remember the names, who have openly claimed there will be no inheritance,from them. The take is, I made my money, and so you need to make your own.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As far as your last sentence goes, I don't really know how my high school classmates got their cars back then, but I know I bought the old 1956 Chevy, picture of it and me in a Thread called "First Car", with money I got from a part-time job at a upper-class restaurant on Friday/Saturday nights during the later part of my Senior year. Finally, after a few years of not being able to keep my earned money, I was able to. But, my step-dad did have to pay for the repair of it, so it would start and run.

Today, there are high school Seniors that get a new, or nicely used, car from their parents for graduation. Of course, these teens are from higher medium-to-upper class families. These are the same type of parents that can afford to put money away from college educations for their kids.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yep, my grandson got a brand new Honda Civic when he got his DL at age 16. They even paid for his gas if it wasn't too outrageous and overboard. Insurance is high also for a teen boy.

He doesn't have his car now though, freshmen can't have a car on campus which is a good thing.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Wife and I always, and I do mean "always", get each other things for Christmas, birthdays and our anniversary. For us, that's a must.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That was never that important to me...Christmas was all about the kids.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, but I'm sure your kids get you gifts as well. I'm sure you're not left out at Christmas or for your birthday......right?

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes ...of course they get me gifts. My daughter gets me gifts for no special occasion ...just because she loves me gifts.

Last week I got a $100 Trader Joe's gift card form her in a card that said "Happy Autumn".

I wish they wouldn't though, I really don't need anything now since I'm downsizing. I did enjoy the TJs gift card though and it's all gone already. :)

There's always also something in my dresser drawer at her house when I visit. An earring or bracelet or scarf..always something.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Two of the biggest gifts I did get from my step-parents........a transistor radio for a birthday and a Daisy BB Rifle for Christmas. The radio was cool, but the BB rifle, that was really nice. Learned how to shoot sparrows in our barn at night by holding a flashlight next to the barrel. And, before anyone goes "haywire" over shooting/killing sparrows, ask any farmer what sparrows do to farm equipment. They crap all of them. My step-dad was very happy that I was such a good shot with that rifle!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

My parents didn't make enough money to give us everything we wanted, but there was always one big gift on Christmas that I'm sure they had to budget carefully for. I gave more extravagant stuff to my son probably, but that's because I was making far more money than I needed while I was raising him. I don't think the love that a parent has for a child can be measured by the expense of the gifts.