Ketamine, Anyone Work With?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Joy Martin, Mar 17, 2024.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I've heard about and believe it's a strong support for depression, PTSD and other traumas. Just heard a couple on NPR discussion their experience with Ketamine....I have no plans to take it but a lot of Hurting People out there I gather can benefit, with assisted support in taking it.

I had some stress in my life, some in childhood but nothing that couldn't be handled with what I've done and talk therapy over the years. Father was not the kind gentle person I would have liked but the alcoholic personality controlled him... He did NOT hurt his children on purpose, I got the worst as I was first born...by the time my sis came along 10 yrs later, dad and she had a different experience.... Brother in the middle, was dad's son!!!

https://ketamineclinics.com/ketamin...MI0YeB09n8hAMV9dLCBB24YgRDEAAYASAAEgKnhvD_BwE

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Interesting that I have only heard of it as a street drug (Special K.) I did not know that its primary medical use was as an anesthetic. The anti-depressive use by the clinic you linked is administered intravenously in small doses. I also found this on Drugs.com:

Esketamine (Spravato), one of the forms of racemic ketamine, was approved in 2019 for specific types of depression. Spravato is a nasal spray that is used under strict medical supervision and is not used by patients at home.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That guy that just died in the hot tub, he was taking ketamine, if I remember right. I think the news said he took it for depression, so his must have been prescribed.
    That is the first I remember hearing about it, and that was just because it was a hot topic on Twitter for a while, about whether he took an overdose and died accidentally in the hot tub, or whether he killed himself by purposely overdosing, and some were suggesting that he was suicided even.
    It seems like many medications they prescribe for depression make people suicidal.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Yeh, it's tough to separate the disease from the cure when trying to understand such things. Perhaps it's both. I've had friends who battle depression and struggled when the cures were as bad as (or worse than) the disease. At some point, they just want to stop feeling.

Regarding that death... given that ketamine's primary use is as an anesthetic, getting into a bathtub or a hot tub might not have been the best idea (if the act was not intentional.)

Jenna Parnellson and Joy Martin like this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree , meds can make you sicker in some cases. of course they save lives too.
    I felt so bad for the returning vets the VA Hospitals were putting V.N. vets on.
    I use to take one to the va and he would take me to the loss limb or psych wards. Very bad sight.
    He ended up killing himself a few years later, he walked like a zombie from all the drugs they had him on. A good man who did 2 tours, shot both times. Our vets deserve the best of care and respect.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  6. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

So many vets living on the streets, IF I ruled the world, NO WARS, no sending people off to kill each other........not many men in m y family did military stuff....they call it Service.....some Service....j m

That ketamine is scarey stuff.....

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I remember ketamine being used as an anesthetic back into the 1970s. It was not then used on younger folks, as it caused very dramatic hallucinations in them, but it was tolerated pretty well by senior patients. It has also been used extensively by vets for animal surgery as an easy and relatively safe anesthetic. It is a popular street drug as John said. It did not know it was now being used to treat depression, but it could be very easy to OD with.

John Brunner likes this.