Ken's Boring Life

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 25, 2023.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Those are the ones that I have finished or the one that I am currently working on. I have a list that I've accumulated, and which I add to as I come across another tribe that isn't there. Some tribes have only one or two websites, so they are listed directly beneath the American Indians category. Those with at least four or five websites get their own category.

The Religion category was perhaps equally interesting, but I spent more than a year on that one. I still come across a new denomination or topic that I add to it now and then.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I actually heard one forecast that said the snow would be north of Millinocket, Maine.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

So what is the tally on Nations and on Tribes? Do you have confidence that it is a complete list, or do you expect smaller tribes to pop up every now and then?

4. Ken Anderson

There are a bunch of them still seeking state or federal recognition, but for our purposes, I will add them regardless of whether they're recognized or not, as long as there are websites. What is there now isn't even close to a complete list, but I have one in a text file that I'm working from

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

We got some snow last night, but it was raining by the time I got up, so there wasn't much to shovel other than the walkway. Rather than shoveling the drive, I just drove up and down it several times so that my tires wouldn't be iced in if it should freeze tonight.

6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

-5 F. but no new snow. Typical weather for this time of year.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

51 degrees F here right now.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

I'm sore. Only a few years ago, I would keep the entire driveway and parking area in the back shoveled, along with a path to the oil tank, the sidewalk, and even some paths for the cats to walk on in the back. For the past three years, I have only been shoveling enough of the driveway to park a car, and the sidewalk only up to our house. The guy to the north of me doesn't shovel the sidewalk in front of his house, and the house to the south of us has been vacant and unshoveled for years now, so I don't feel the need to keep the sidewalk clear, regardless of town ordinances. No one is going to walk the sidewalk in front of our house unless they're coming to our house, since it would be unshoveled on either side, anyhow.

But that's not why I'm sore. We had a snowstorm the day before yesterday. Since the snow was supposed to quit at midnight or so, I shoveled our sidewalk and driveway at about 1 am so that I wouldn't have to get up early and do it. However, the town plows piled about three feet of snow, about four feet wide, in front of our driveway, and over the snow embankment onto our sidewalk, as they continued back and forth throughout the night, despite the fact that it was no longer snowing, causing far more trouble than they were solving. They have the equipment to knock the snow embankments down and haul it away, but instead, they spent the night blocking everyone's driveways.

So I had to get up and shovel again, even though it hadn't snowed since the last time I had shoveled so that my wife could get to the store. Why do women feel the need to go to the store every single day, anyhow? We have a full-sized refrigerator, plus a smaller refrigerator and a standalone freezer, all of which appear to be full. But that's another matter.

An hour later, she called to tell me that I needed to shovel the driveway so that she could get in. The town had plowed a couple of feet of snow in front of the driveway, although it still wasn't snowing.

This morning, although it had snowed only about an inch or so during the night, I had another three feet of snow in my driveway. By the way, if I shovel that snow back onto the road, I can be ticketed, but they are free to deposit it in front of my driveway. Then I had to shovel a path to the oil tank, which is a fair distance, and since this is the first time I have done that this year, it involved cutting through some of the snow beneath that had frozen.

So I am sore, tired, and thinking of ways that I can get back at the public works guys, but never will. Fortunately, since we got new windows throughout the house, insulated it, and got a heat pump, we only have to fill the tank once during the winter, and once more before the snow comes in the fall, so I don't have to make a path to the oil tank again, although I might do it little by little just to keep it clear since I've cleared it. We used to go through about six tanks of oil a year.

9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The ol' gray hoss ain't what he used to be. :p

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Not a lot going on here. I did get ambitious yesterday and shoveled a path to the compost pile. I haven't been composting much, other than the easily compostable stuff, this winter because 1) I haven't wanted to shovel, and 2) I want to harvest my compost this coming spring and redo my compost pile. I need to come up with a better idea for the sides of it so that they don't collapse after the pile gets large. I thought I had found a solution for that last time, but it didn't hold up.

On the job, I have been temporarily sidetracked from the American Indians to programming languages. Since that category does particularly well, I try to keep up with it, adding new languages as I come across them. I came across a few new ones three weeks ago, so I decided to add them, but, while I'm doing the descriptions, I run across languages that they were influenced by, that they influenced, or that they are compared to, and keep coming up with additional ones, so I've been adding them for the past few weeks, and have a list of about ten more to go, which may lead to others.

What else can I talk about? I've already mentioned it in another thread, but we've been rewatching Northern Exposure, one of my favorite TV series, during and after meals. While I am working, I mostly play podcasts. There are some that I follow regularly. Otherwise, lately, I've been watching crime stuff, police interrogations (which they refer to as interviews now), or serial killer documentaries. At some point, I'll tire of that and go on to something else.

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

It's kind of a weird winter. It's the middle of February, but temperatures have been above freezing for a while now, sometimes dropping below at night, and we haven't had snow in a while. I widened the path to our front door yesterday, throwing the snow along the snowbank by the street to allow for further melting of the snow to run into the street rather than on the path. It's 41 degrees right now, so it feels like summer, and the snow is melting fast. This is usually the coldest part of the winter.

In my web directory job, I am still hung up in programming languages, which are more interesting than some other parts of the directory, but not as interesting as the American Indians section. Unless I come across more of them, I should be done with the programming languages in a few days.

Other than that, I don't know. I haven't enjoyed coffee for the last couple of weeks for some reason. Although the Black Rifle coffee I've been brewing are ones that I've liked before, I haven't been able to get into the past couple of bags. I don't think it's the coffee, but I've been dumping out a lot of coffee lately as I've let it get cold. Maybe it's the weather; I don't drink as much coffee in the summer as I do in the winter.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

If you have any of the old blends of coffee around, brew those and compare. I have seen people reporting lots of quality downgrades in everything from pet food to coffee. I don't know that Black Rifle would do that if they had a choice, but they might not be able to get the coffees they had before.

John Brunner and Ken Anderson like this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I commented elsewhere that they are now stocked in Walmarts. I cannot imagine how many times over they must have had to increase production to satisfy the first stocking order. Their quarterly report ending Nov2023 said their wholesale business doubled year-over-year.

Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.
  14. Jenna Parnellson

Jenna Parnellson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Love this thread, @Ken Anderson. I had no idea that you're so entertaining!

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

While I wouldn't be shocked to find that it was snowing again, since we had a dusting of snow last night, I think it's safe to say that our winter is about over. The snow dumped on us by the biggest snowstorm of the season a few days ago has melted by about one-half, so I think we're entering mud season, which some people call spring.

Otherwise, there isn't much going on here. I hope I find the energy to do more this spring, summer, and fall than last year. That's up to me, I know, but sometimes I have very little to say about what I do or don't do.