Ken's Boring Life

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 25, 2023.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was in the library yesterday picking up the key to the building for the SMART Recovery meeting I facilitate there on Monday nights. Another guy, probably about my age or a few years older or younger, started talking to me while I was waiting for someone to return with the key. Since we were the only people standing near the counter, I just figured he was someone who would talk to anyone. We made small talk and discussed the improvements the library board had made to the library since it transitioned from a town-owned library to one now owned by the library board. He didn't look or sound familiar to me, and I wasn't trying to place him because I didn't think he was anyone I should know. When she brought the key, and I excused myself, he addressed me by name and said it was good to see me again. I have no idea who he is.

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

You’re just a popular guy.
    Maybe he was one of Michelle’s past clients?

3. Ken Anderson

There's not much going on here, although I suppose some of what I posted in other threads could have gone here. Although we've had a couple of snows, one melted soon after it landed, and the other stuck around for only a few days. Once the weather drops, I wouldn't be surprised if we have a lot of snow because we've only had a few days without rain in over a month. I could probably get a better idea of what to expect if I read weather predictions and stuff, but that would be cheating. I prefer to let things happen to me because that gives me a reason not to have to do anything about any of it in advance and leaves me with something to complain about later.

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Your life sounds exciting to me, Ken. I mean not checking the weather and living on the edge would be more impressive if the weather folks could be more accurate. I always check the forecast, then flip a coin since it is a 50/50 gamble anyway.

5. Ken Anderson

In my job, I have been learning about American Indian tribes. I still have more to add, but I enjoy the research.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I would imagine that to be a fascinating subject. There are references to Algonquian Indians throughout Virginia. I recently learned that the Algonquian Nation is out of Canada.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

I haven't gotten to them yet, but yeah - in Quebec, pretty much north of where I am. I came across them while doing the Ottawa and the Ojibwa, because they're related.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

I read somewhere that many of the tribes (like the Cherokee) would have had limited ranges (and limited notoriety) had the Spaniards not brought horses to this continent.

Andrea Lindsey likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Yeah, horses and firearms sure changed their world. Those who got them first had a decided advantage over the others, which forced a lot of moves even before the forced Indian Removals began under President Jackson's administration, not that something similar wasn't occurring in Canada, as well.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

A friend of me just lent me the book of Louis and Clark's diaries. Lots of Indian contact in there. Interactions good and bad.
    My youngest daughter is dating an Indian--Menomani and something. They go artifact hunting a lot. She says every time he looks at the ground he sees something because he knows what to see.:cool:

11. Ken Anderson

We haven't had much of anything in the way of snow so far this winter. Although we have snow on the ground, there hasn't been enough to shovel yet, except for the stuff that public works piles up at the end of my driveway. However, we're supposed to get a storm tomorrow, I believe.

12. John Brunner

The chilly rain we had all day in Virginia is blowing up the east coast, headed to a Millinocket near you soon:

20240106 map.jpg

13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We are supposed to have a huge blow Monday. My kid even volunteered to do chores for me it it was too bad.
    Now I'm scared.:eek:

14. Ken Anderson

I am still working on the American Indians section in my job and will probably be there for a while yet since there are a lot of them. That's more interesting than some of the other categories, though, so I don't mind. The hard part is in keeping my descriptions down to 5,000 characters.

Other than that. I haven't been doing much. Other than my Monday night recovery meeting and an occasional trip to the store, I rarely leave the house other than to take the trash to the transfer station on Fridays and sometimes in between. We're supposed to have snow over the next couple of days, but they lied to us about that a few days ago. I suppose they have to lie to us in order to be recognized as experts.

15. John Brunner

Are the Categories [tribes?] of American Indians on that page an exhaustive list that you are back-filling as you go along, or are those the tribes that you have finished so far, with more to come? I imagine it's got to be one of the most fascinating topics you've worked on, if for no other reason than we can all relate to the specific (yet diverse) North American geographies these people survived in.

Mary Stetler likes this.