Ken Is In The Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Terry Page, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi Ken, you're very much involved in the church as I understand it, and I'm surmising that this stems from your religious upbringing....so 2 questions if I may ?

Did you ever consider becoming a Priest/ or an ordained Minister...and if not why not?

Also...if you had your life to live over again from the age of 16 would you live it differently..and in what way? :)

2. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Morning Ken.
    In your career as an EMS have you ever delivered a baby?

3. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was intrigued that in answer to Karen's question "If you could visit one foreign county..all expenses paid...for one month..which country would you choose?" you chose the Channel Islands, what made you choose there?
    Also I may be mistaken but did I read on one of your blogs/websites that you had been to the UK in the past?

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

1. I attended Bible college for a couple of years, and have served as a youth minister and as an interim pastor of a few churches, although these were not positions that I had sought out.
    2. If I were to live it over knowing what I do now, I wouldn't be able to help but do so. For one thing, I would have been far more conscious about healthy living knowing how it catches up to you at the end, and I might have actually chosen one career and stuck with it, rather than simply taking what was available to me at the time, and what I enjoyed doing. Then again, if I were to have done things differently, I'd be a different person now and, aside from the health problems and not being filthy rich, I'm happy with myself.

5. Ken Anderson

Registered

Several. I worked near the Mexican border, and there were several areas called "colonias," which were unapproved subdivisions consisting mostly of people who were not in the country legally. If they went into the hospital for a delivery long before they were ready to deliver, they would be turned away, or so they feared. Consequently, they usually waited until just before they were ready to deliver before calling the ambulance, and the nearest hospital was forty-five minutes away. We had several female paramedics and when we had a female paramedic available, I would willingly pass the task onto them, not because I was afraid to do it, but because the patients were usually more comfortable with a female medic, and particularly one who spoke Spanish better than I did. But, as the only paid member of an otherwise volunteer crew, I made about eighty percent of the calls, and there wasn't always a female medic available. It's not a hard job, since the mother does all of the work. The pressure comes into play when there is a complication, because then there are two patients.

6. Ken Anderson

Registered

No, I have never been beyond the United States, Canada, and Mexico. The Channel Islands have intrigued me since I put together the directory categories for the Channel Islands in the Aviva Directory. I would also like to visit Sweden, as well.

7. Terry Page

Registered

OK why Sweden in particular?

8. Ken Anderson

Registered

My parents are from Sweden.

9. Terry Page

Registered

Yes of course I forgot, I have been there once and liked it,quite cold though, are you drawn to colder climate places to live because of your roots do you think?

10. Ken Anderson

Registered

Probably, yeah. I grew up in snowy weather and rather missed it during the thirty-five years or so that I lived in Southern California and South Texas. Oddly though, others of my relatives have moved to Florida or Texas after retiring, while I moved back to the cold weather.

11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

Can you speak Swedish Ken..are you bi-lingual?

12. Ken Anderson

Registered

My parents taught me to say "thank you" and "you're welcome" in Swedish, in order to amuse the grandparents. There was the idea that they were in the United States where people spoke English, and I don't think it was well known that children could readily learn more than one language at the same time. Rarely did anyone speak Swedish around me. If the grandparents were over, they would sometimes be speaking Swedish but as soon as I walked into the room, everyone switched to English. I referred to Swedish as "gibberish." Consequently, I know a whole lot more Spanish than I do Swedish.

Given that the entire community consisted of Swedish immigrants, they could easily have retained the language but chose not to. It wasn't just my family. I don't know a single one of my cousins who learned to speak Swedish.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  13. Terry Page

Registered

Does Michelle feel the same or would she prefer a warmer climate?

14. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

Holly Saunders likes this.
  15. Terry Page

Registered

What is your favourite genre of movies and do you watch many?

16. Ken Anderson

Registered

I am uncertain, but she is the one who didn't want to remain in Texas.

17. Ken Anderson

Registered

I think that I can appreciate most any movie that is well written and well acted. Usually, I look toward the more general genre of drama because I'm more likely to find something good there. Although I very much enjoy horror movies that we well written and well acted, the vast majority of them are not. That used to be the case with Westerns but, although they don't produce very many Westerns any more, those that are made are generally of a much better quality. I don't usually look toward Science Fiction or Fantasy for the same reasons, because so many of them are poorly done, or intended for very young people. Nevertheless, even in those that are intended for the very young, I very much appreciate the ones that are well done, such as The Neverending Story, The Witch and the Wardrobe, and Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, to name a few.

Until recently, I had never seen any of the Star Wars movies. My wife talked me into ordering a few of them on DVD from Neflix and, while they were fairly okay, I can't say that I was overly impressed. I watched the first Harry Potter movie, and realized that I had quit paying attention to it about halfway through.

Since I cut the cord years ago, and have subscriptions to several paid channels through Roku, and because I work on my computer from home, I watch movies all day, every day, so I have watched a lot of movies that I wouldn't have chosen to watch otherwise, but I don't know that I have a favorite genre.

Holly Saunders and Terry Page like this.
  18. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

What were you like in High School, Ken? Where you the science geek, the nerd, the sports star, the smart kid or
    Where you one that went unnoticed?

You married late, did you date in High School or later?

19. Ken Anderson

Registered

1. My closest friends weren't from the high school that I attended, which was in Stephenson, but from Menominee, about that same distance in the other direction from my home town. I was not stupid but neither was I highly motivated. Consequently, while my grades were mostly A's and B's, I wasn't scholarship material. I hung out with people who were in trouble a lot, but I think I had some concern about not being a lowlife so I prided myself on achieving reasonably good grades. I should also point out that getting in trouble a lot meant something entirely different in Stephenson, Michigan in the 1960s than it would mean in most places today. Some of these people who got in trouble a lot went on to become teachers in the same school, although I did have one friend who went on the murder someone in a robbery, but long after I had last seen him. Being a minor in possession of beer was the most likely crime. A high point in my high school career was when one of the snobbier girls in class commented on a joke that I had made, asking if I couldn't take something seriously once in awhile, and I was able to point out that I was doing better than she was in that class.

I did date in high school. When I adopted a son while I was in my early twenties, most of my attention was spent on earning a living and raising my son, so dating sort of fell by the wayside. After he grew up and went his way, I concentrated on work, as I had moved to Texas and became a paramedic shortly afterwards.

20. Ken Anderson

Registered

So, is that all you got?

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  21. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

If someone made a movie of your life....what would be the title of the movie and the theme song?

Are you an introvert, an extrovert, or a combination of the two?

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  22. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

If you were elected President, who would you choose for your Vice President? And what would your first day in Office look like?

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  23. Ken Anderson

Registered

I will have to give your first question some thought because, at this time, I don't have a clue. As for this one, I am pretty much an introvert. However, I like to do things that matter and I don't believe that I am entirely stupid, so I have trouble standing by and letting dumber than I am calling all the shots, so that has forced me to come forward from time to time. So I will come forward in a work situation, in church, or in school, as to do otherwise would be to not advance myself. In social situations, I don't know if it's accurate to say that I am shy but I don't feel the need to be the center of attention, and would rather have an interesting conversation with one person than to be engulfed in something involving a lot of people. In most things, I think I just like to get things done and sometimes that involves doing it myself or stepping forward, but if I am able to suggest something, I am perfectly willing to let someone take the ball run with it, and score the point.

24. Ken Anderson

Registered

Vice Presidents are usually selected for their ability to get someone elected, and are chosen before the election. In that case, like everyone else, I'd choose whoever I thought would do me the most good, since Vice Presidents don't have much power on their own and, if it was someone I could trust, I might give them some power, but otherwise not. What the first day in office would look like would depend on what I learned during the briefings that are given to the president-elect beforehand, so I couldn't begin to guess.

25. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Ken, It's late and I'm sleepy but the first chance I've had to ask you a question. Don't answer if they are inappropriate. 1. Are you still in contact with your son? 2. Do you ever just get fed up and think about throwing in the towel on this forum and walk away?

Terry Page likes this.