Is It Too Late To Learn a New Language?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by John Donovan, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The way in which words are used get me confused. I see people using the combination of, "used to", instead of use to. What is with that? That is just one of the ways that words are wrongly put together.

2. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Then we have the tedious 'should of' when people mean 'should have'. Something else my goat gets very angry about is the complete lack of understanding of the usage of the simple verb 'go'. Every time I hear someone say 'should have went' makes me want to scream.

Further torture: the commentator I was listening to last night saying 'more deeper' and 'most deepest'. Sob.

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

4. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A personal favourite among language muddles came from when I lived and worked in Eritrea. We (the westerners) always tried to use the Tigrigna language whenever we could, but sometimes it didn't quite work out, such as when one of my colleagues asked the waiter for a light-bulb at the end of a meal. In fairness, the words for 'bill' and 'light-bulb' were quite similar, but I was a little disappointed that the waiter didn't come back with a light-bulb on a plate.