Ipad Keeps Freezing

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Kate Ellery, Dec 26, 2023.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Any hints , all I found was clear cookies yes I’ve done that before and I loose all my auto log in on websites
    including the forum so I have to reset allot of my passwords cause when I try entering the existing passwords most sites say incorrect password grrrrrrr :eek:

And when it freezes it sorta gets a speech bubble down in bottom left hand corner …..
    I do regular updates on my devices but sometimes I dislike them ….cause it seems to mess up change things on iPad ..I’m must be turning into a cranky old lady ..cause I hate change in what I know with the iPad ….one update quite a while back they decided to change the enter key .to the other side of the screen

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Have you tried a restart, Kate? I've never had a problem with my iPad so I don't have any suggestions. Do you live near an Apple Genius Bar? You might check the Apple website community forum for assistance. https://discussions.apple.com/welcome

Kate Ellery likes this.
  3. Kate Ellery

Registered

Thanks @Beth Gallagher I live 2 1/2 hour drive to the nearest apple shop :):) I know their phone service is great cause I’ve used it twice ever since I’ve had iPads so if it continues I will phone one day ,because they are more then likely over run right with calls being just after Christmas . Ive turned it on and off a few times as well .

I’ve had iPad s since the first iPad Air was released in I believe 2013

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

When you say, "turned it off," are you doing a hard reset (where you see the Apple logo when it restarts) or just turning it off/on? Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but maybe @Yvonne Smith can help.

I have also had iPads since the first one... in fact, my original still works great though it hasn't had a software update in many years now. I use it as an e-reader for Kindle books.

5. Kate Ellery

Registered

Yep I’ve had it off since we chatted last, Ive just turned it back on and the black screen with white apple comes up.
    @Beth Gallagher

As I upgraded iPads I passed mine onto grandkids or (hubby) , mine is a 10 had it for over a year my watch is only a 6 so I guess that would be getting close to when I can no longer update it …;)

R . has the same watch / iPad as me, he bought his iPad last Christmas

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I hope you can figure it out, Kate.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It sounds like your ipad is pretty new, and I do not have any idea why it would freeze up, @Kate Ellery . If you have done the reset, then the next usual step is to do a back-up, erase the tablet and then restore it.

Sometimes, when there is an update, it will cause problems for a while, but if you do the next little update, it fixes the issue; so it might just be something like that causing your problem. If you google it, it should show if others are having the same issues that you are having.

I think that calling apple support would be a good plan, and if you have the apple support app on the ipad, you can message them that way and they wil probably call you.
    If it is not freezing up all of the time, you can download the app if you do not have it.

IMG_5782.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
    Kate Ellery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Does it freeze when using a certain app? Mine sometimes freezes when I’m getting out of my jigsaw puzzle app and it takes it a few minutes to recover.

Kate Ellery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Kate Ellery

Registered

Thanks @Yvonne Smith and @Vada Bloom
    It’s happening on every site, yesterday while I was typing ( on here ) the curser kept jumping up the top to search ..weird to say the least … ….this happened while I was typing in the reply box …..…on forum. ……..then it highlights the whole page of text blue …. And freezes It’s got gremlins in it I think and of course freezes …l.…I’ve turned it in and off since yesterday and it was off over night ( I’ve just got up ) after chatting with @Beth Gallagher yesterday ( thank you Beth ) it’s sorta behaving this morning ,so I’ll try it out more latter today ( we are traveling home today , been in city for 2 weeks )
    Yes Yvonne I will contact Apple , the very little I’ve ever contacted them their after sales service was great,
    I’ve had it a little over 12 months Yvonne

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  10. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

They should know what it is right away.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Are you using an external keyboard, @Kate Ellery ? If you are, it might be that the keyboard is causing the problems and making the cursor move where you do not want it to go. Make sure it is fully charged if it is one that you charge separately from the ipad.

If you are using the virtual keyboard, you might want to try using an external keyboard and see if that helps the problem. If the problem is happening when you are typing, then it might be something to do with the keyboard.
    I have found that if an external keyboard is not charged up enough, they do weird things sometimes, and even when they are just getting old.
    I never use my virtual keyboard, so I have no idea what might cause problems with that.

12. Kate Ellery

Registered

No only the iPad @Yvonne Smith hubs has looked at it for me , but he likes to just play with it as he puts it …but I’m a a fairly independent lady and I like to go through the steps myself so I know in future how to remedy issues like this, but he wants to sit alone and work it out … :):)

13. Kate Ellery

Registered

We are packing to go home now so I’ll catch up latter after I arrive home / unpack / put things away ( 2 hours drive away )but we might do fresh food shopping in way home as well
    Thanks

14. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’ve been leaving my iPad turned off overnight since I started chatting about this issue and so far so good …it’s been good this morning …shhhhhh don’t say that to loud Kate ….thanks to @Beth Gallagher and @Yvonne Smith for you never ending support
    IMG_1731.jpeg

15. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’ve just updated all my devices and it’s interesting this was happening vvvv ….when I was typing along with the iPad freezing.
    • (Text may unexpectedly duplicate or overlap while typing):eek::eek:

I’d been concidering getting another iPad …..now it seems fine since I installed the latest update ..let’s hope it’s fixed the issue ….

latest update details ….along with security updates
    iPadOS 17.3.1
    This update provides bug fixes for your iPad including:
    • Text may unexpectedly duplicate or overlap while typing
    • So what’s in the iOS 17.3.1 release? According to the release notes, the fixes contained in iOS 17.3.1 include a bug that could cause text to unexpectedly duplicate or overlap while typing.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.