Iodine And Deficiency & Benefits Of Iodine

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Joy Martin, Mar 28, 2024.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

First of all here is a Video from Dr Berg on Iodine and Deficiency

I've been supplementing with Iosol drops for many yrs and have slacked OFF in recent times. 1 drop in a little water has been my dose, 1 drop = 1.83mg of the Iosol.

I have been COLDer this winter, can't seem to warm up....

My gf just called to give me a "wake Up Reminder" on Iodine..... ahhhhhhhhh

So I just took 3 drops so that's close to mg of Iosol, took a little more for a jump start.

Must remind myself too and others, if we drink public water and I do now and it's fluoridated and fluoride zaps us of Iodine.. and I just don't consume seafoods, took more when I got around better and drove and of course the seafood was MORE affordable, now look out the prices have gone wilder...

So, this may be a reminder for some of you as well. Read read read and not a bad idea to get a iodne test, but we know if we could be deficient. j m

Gotta get a new bottle of Iosol Iodine, my bottle is not fresh.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Joy Martin

Registered

Right now I'm chilled to the bone and have my wall heater on.....more rain and cold on way here. I'm thinking since I slacked off taking Iodine and I've gone into a deficiency and I also lowered by thyroid med due to costs. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Feeling cold is a common symptom of an iodine deficiency. In fact, some studies have found that over 80% of people with low thyroid hormone levels may feel more sensitive to cold temperatures than usual (

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Funny he doesn't even mention iodized salt. Maybe I missed it. He did make sure to point out that sea salt has almost no iodine in it. I suppose if you are on a very low salt diet his supplement might be useful.

Has anyone actually tried that iodine test? Where you paint some iodine on your arm and see if it disappears. I always assumed that was an old wives' tale.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yes, it will definitely show if you are absorbing the iodine right away or not. The Lugol’s iodine, you can take drops of , but regular iodine is dangerous to put in your mouth.
    So, putting some on your skin and letting it soak in is another way to get more iodine. I have done this, just to see how fast it was disappearing.
    I take kelp capsules every morning and night, along with my Armour thyroid, just to make sure I am getting enough iodine.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  5. Joy Martin

Registered

I stopped buying Iodized salt yrs ago and go with sea salt and also know some of the processed foods I buy have iodized salt... I was turned off when I read what was done to the Morton type salt......

6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I eat tuna fish often but don't take iodine supplements, maybe I should.

7. Joy Martin

Registered

Marie:

Symptoms
    Symptoms of iodine deficiency and related thyroid disorders can include:

• Swelling of thyroid glands in the neck
    • A visible lump (goiter) on your neck
    • Weight gain, fatigue and weakness
    • Thinning hair
    • Dry skin
    • Feeling colder than usual
    • Slowed heart rate
    • Learning and memory difficulties
    • Heavy or irregular periods

https://www.templehealth.org/services/conditions/iodine-deficiency

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I haven't heard of the "iodine test" before. Goiter caused by iodine deficiency used to be quite common in areas away from the coasts, as sea products are the best source of iodine and many other trace minerals. Iodized salt was introduced to address the goiter problem, and seems to have worked well enough over the years. Iodized salt will help you avoid disease related to iodine deficiency, but may not supply adequate amounts for optimal health, just as the vitamin D in milk may not provide enough for optimal health, but it is enough to prevent rickets. Same with B vitamins in bread products.

Beth Gallagher and Marie Mallery like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

I somewhat have all these except weight gain which I need.
    I need a does dose sure,whitch one is best to order?

10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Some say salt raises your BP so I cut back on that, no wonder I'm messed up!

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

That is the problem with using iodized salt as your only iodine supplement. Most good vitamin and mineral supplements also contain iodine in small amounts.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

The test a naturopath told me is to take some iodine and apply a bit of it to your belly, inner arm or thigh and see how it absorbs. If the stain is gone (covering with a band aid to keep it from staining your clothes) in less than 24 hours, you are deficient as your body just sucked it in. You can re=apply until it is still there the next day. I have had the same bottle of provodine for years.

13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Does Povidone work for this? Yvonne and others have mentioned Lugol's solution. Interesting. Betadine (povidone iodine) is easily obtained and is in every market, and probably should be in every home.

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

I drink Boost sometimes,it too expensive to drink all the time, never have really taken supplements, guess its time.

15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Just look on the ingredients list to see if it contains iodine. You could take kelp tablets, use kelp fertilizer in your garden, or just eat a lot of seafood. You live in Florida. Seafood should be easily obtained there. Supplements are just the easy way.