Indonesia Bali Vacation

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Terry Page, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I will post some photos from our holiday/vacation in Indonesia/Bali last July. Lisa and I both fell in love with Indonesia the moment we landed there in Jakarta. The people are really friendly and helpful and all smiles.
    Jakarta was only a stopover really, as most of our three weeks were spent on the island of Bali.

The first photo is from the plane of one of the two volcano's that almost delayed our return, it had been erupting for some time, and the ash had closed the airport several times while we were there including the day before we returned, but luckily was open for the morning we left..

Our plane was the Airbus A380 double deck, its a great plane to travel in, and seats 525 passengers, we flew on one on our previous vacation to Vietnam and enjoyed it.

DSC04597b.jpg
    Our first few nights in Bali were spent in a beach hotel in Sanur, on the south west coast of the island, its an area of gardens with bungalows, we had a honeymoon suite, because it was the only one available, honeymoons have sadly long since left my life [​IMG]though I can still pretend.

DSC04827.jpg
    The beach, many trees all over Bali are adorned with black and white chequered cloths, symbolising the balance of life, the yin and the yang.

DSC04622.jpg

The road leading to the hotel, with bougainvillea growing through the trees

DSC04634.jpg

I booked a driver I found on the internet earlier in the year, he met us at the airport and took us wherever we wanted to go as and when. His name is Sila and is an exceptionally kind and knowledgeable man and contributed a lot to our holiday/vacation.
    One day he took us to meet his family who are delightful, he lives with his wife, mother father and his brother and his child. Its in a small one street village about a 40 minute drive from Sanur.

This is Sila with his youngest daughter
    DSC05330.jpg

Lisa with his other daughter (right) and his brother's daughter

DSC05332.jpg

Sila's son and the girls

DSC05408.jpg

His brother's daughter giving me an offering

Picture1.jpg

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting pics, Terry!

I've never been on a plane like that! Lucky you!

3. Terry Page

Registered

Yes it is spectacular inside and huge, it makes you wonder how on earth it will take off.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Terry Page

Registered

A few more photos

Sila's wife preparing a snack for us

DSC05391.jpg

The family pig

DSC05388.jpg

Family with grandmother in background

Picture2.jpg

The family temple

DSC05375.jpg

Inside the temple
    DSC05375.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

What's good in Indonesia? The first answer we got was the beach. Well, Indonesia is very much like the Philippines, they are both archipelago with thousands of islands. But the big difference is that Indonesia is the largest Muslim country in terms of population while the Philippines is a majority of Catholics. We had plans last year of going to Jakarta but we were shifted to Malaysia by the travel agency because of the available flights on promo (about 50% discount).

Maybe this year we can again make plans of visiting Jakarta. But on second thought, maybe not. There was a suicide bomber just recently, huh.

Terry Page likes this.
  6. Terry Page

Registered

We didn't rate Jakarta as a place to visit, it's like a lot of capital cities sprawling and modernised, the island of Bali is much more interesting, a lot more than beaches, its mainly Hindu there unlike Jakarta.

.......with a population of 4,225,000 as of January 2014 Bali is home to most of Indonesia's Hindu minority. According to the 2010 Census, 83.5% of Bali's population adhered to Balinese Hinduism, followed by 13.4% Muslim, Christianity at 2.5% and Buddhism at 0.5%

We have booked flights to Malaysia for our summer vacation in July.

Corie Henson likes this.
  7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Terry Page, we have beaches here and the most popular is Boracay so we do not bother to go abroad for that. Besides, we are not fond of beaches and we only to to beach resorts is for family bonding. But anyway, we were also offered tickets for Bali but we declined.

I'm sure you will enjoy Malaysia if you are in Kuala Lumpur. They their HO-HO, that hop-on-hoo-off bus where you pay one time and have the whole day hopping on and hopping off to 24 destinations in the city. Check it out.