Independence

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I believe that many of us like the idea of being self sufficient and independent to what ever extent we can, and this is particularly true as we age. At my age of 84 with a few physical problems I can speak with authority about this. I sincerely believe that my basic computer knowledge and use along with a I Phone has enabled me to maintain my independence far better than most of my peer group and maintain a good quality of life. No one had to force me to give up driving two years ago, I made that decision my self and sold my car in 24 hours for a good price and then called and cancelled my auto insurance and started using UBER. I can go where ever I want when ever I want and not be DEPENDENT on anyone and believe it or not the cost of the 175 odd UBER TRIPS over the past two years is about equal to what I was paying for my auto insurance. I live in a one bedroom, living room, one bath, kitchenette apartment at a quality ASSISTED LIVING facility. Prior to voluntarily re-locating to this facility I lived in a two bedroom two bath apartment and did all my own cooking and cleaning. I have access to three Gourmet quality meals per day in a lovely dining room and only keep my favorite wines and snacks in my kitchenette. I receive several items each week delivered to my door via AMAZON PRIME. They are items that I could purchase locally, but why? A good price and convenience via AMAZON is hard to beat.
    Looking at my fellow residents is what prompted me to write this SMUG thread because I see how dependent many of them are on care takers, friends and family for many things they could do for them selves IF they ONLY had some level of tech knowledge.
    I realize that there may be a time that I will need all the features and services of ASSISTED LIVING, but as long as I can still boogie around with my walker, feed, bathe and dress myself I will remain independent.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Lon so glad your doing good. You made some very good decisions about your life and that is what has helped keep your independence. Keep up the good job !

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

You're right Lon, keeping the body and mind active is Key...