In Lieu Of Traditional Prayer

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am not a religious person and never pray to a Deity but instead think Positive Thoughts for the benefit of those with serious health issues or problems. Anyone else do this?

K E Gordon and Sheldon Scott like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I have my own way of praying but when someone asks for prayers I don't tell them that...I just say "okay".

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Positive thoughts for others is prayer really
    We all have our way of sending out those positive vibes and the more people doing so, the more powerful the message

Ike Willis and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Well-Known Member
    Registered

I prefer positivity too

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I also believe in positive thoughts. My mother in law used to say that there is a reaction for every action and we always receive what we send. With prayers, we may have our own ways but the objective is pretty much the same - talking to God. Wishing someone of good fortune is a good way of spreading positive vibrations.

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Concentrate. Evaluate. Seek to understand. Investigate alternatives and unknowns. Doubt authoritative pronouncements. Evaluate again.

Praying for help, whether intended for another, or oneself, is akin to begging. No help for the beggar.

Aid the other in need as well as you can, aid yourself as need be also, but accept as inevitable that praying to God to allow you to remain alive, for example, is shaming yourself in His Eyes.

7. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I believe in God, so I believe in asking God for help. It works like that in real life. If you want a raise, or time off from your job, you ask your boss or supervisor. Just thinking about it gets you nothing.:)

Yvonne Smith and Patsy Faye like this.
  8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

II don't believe in god. When people are ill I wish them well but I know this does nothing to heal them, just let's them know you care. I do believe there is power in positive thoughts in that a sick person with positive thoughts about themselves will heal faster.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Ike Willis and @Sheldon Scott
    I've seen and heard of 'group' positive thoughts working to help someone, its more than a coincidence
    The power of positive thought does exist :)

Ike Willis and Chrissy Cross like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

As a Christian, I do believe in the power of prayer. As a human being however, I don't believe that it is a power that is entirely in my hands. I can ask, but the answer is often going to be "no," and the "no" isn't likely to be audible, so it might seem very much like no one is listening. When someone asks me for prayer, I won't say that I am going to do that unless I am. In the past, there were many times when telling someone that I'll pray for them was just a thing to say and, as often as not, I never did get around to making that prayer. Realizing this one day, I have made a point of never again making that an empty promise so if I say that I am going to pray for someone, I'll generally do it right then, to be sure that I don't forget.

I can fully understand why someone might come to believe that no one is listening to their prayers because it does seem that way sometimes. I know that prayer is not an incantation. Neither is it like rubbing a lamp and getting three wishes. Nor do I think it's a crap shoot.

Perhaps the power behind a prayer has something to do with the faith of the person doing the praying, or the kind of life that they are living. As a great religious leader once said, "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you find you get what you need." Okay, maybe not exactly a great spiritual leader, but you get the idea.

I don't know. It's a sensitive subject for me because I was a very new Christian when my mother was hospitalized with a stroke. Of course, I prayed that she would be healed, and I did feel a strong sense of assurance that it was all taken care of. She died three days later.

Ike Willis and K E Gordon like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I feel that even if you don't pray for someone when asked like on a forum it might make the person feel bad.

When Yvonne asked for prayers for me when my mom died, all the replies lifted my spirits...they weren't going to bring my mom back to life but just that someone took the time to say something meant a lot...it didn't have to be a prayer.

That's just how I feel about these things...it's not so much about religion as it is about support.

Even at my most religious catholic time in my life, I never thought that praying would solve your problem. If that were true, a lot less people would be dying.

Ike Willis, Patsy Faye and K E Gordon like this.
  12. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I do generally pray for those when I say I will. If the requestor cares enough to make the request, I feel the least I can do is honor it. However, I hear where you are coming from. It is hard to remember things sometimes when we don't have a personal stake in the matter or know much about the person at all. My belief is not very strong either,,So, I am not sure how much good it does, but I try.

Ike Willis and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

But to me just you saying you will...helps.

14. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yep, I can see that Chrissy and I'm sure people don't say it lightly either, its from the heart
    I'm pretty good at remembering to do this as I always do last thing before sleep
    Its funny sometimes because I'm so tired and I mutter away my prayer
    One night, I did say 'I'm so tired - I must sleep, but you know who I mean - look after them and put yer arms around
    them for comfort' ... I laughed at meself as I recalled that the next morning :D

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just think of them when I'm writing my response. Just like I think of every poster when I reply....in this case I would feel their pain....like with Lara's mom. It made me cry...and I spent a lot of time thinking about her in that post.

Yvonne Smith and Patsy Faye like this.
  16. Patsy Faye

Registered

That's right Chrissy - can be emotional

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  17. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Well-Known Member
    Registered

Positive Thinking is more than just thinking. visualization is part of it. Picturing in your mind what you want to happen. It takes practice.

18. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, but that again is just your view. Is there proof that it will save someone from dying anymore than a prayer to God?

19. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I suppose I'm more of a positive thinker. After studying the issue of a deity for most of a lifetime all I can say is I don't know, seems doubtful.

20. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

My folks always told me not to talk to strangers. God is not stranger to me, He is my heavenly Father, and my friend. I talk to him every day. Prayer gives us direct access to God, and over time becomes as natural as breathing. We pray for direction, and wisdom before making decisions. We thank God in all things. We pray for health and blessing. We pray for those we love.

Positive thinking becomes natural, when we follow God, instead of a substitute for prayer. When we practice positive thinking, without god, we are only praying to ourselves. So, why not both?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  21. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's only an opinion @Joe Riley and that puts down those that believe in their positive thoughts.

Positive thoughts are an energy so they are something.

22. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Perhaps the power behind a prayer has something to do with the faith of the person doing the praying, or the kind of life that they are living.

I have always been a believer but now I am having serious doubts. My BIL is a devout Christian. I know that beyond a shadow of doubt. He has loved and served God for as long as I can remember. He has cancer. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of Christians praying for him. He lives in such pain and suffering that I can't even begin to describe it. Why has God not healed him or, at least, called him home? And don't tell me He has a reason for allowing His loving child to go through torment or that He will call him home when it is time.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  23. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

The short answer, Shirley, is we don't know why God says "No".

24. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I believe in God, but I also struggle with this. From the time I was 5-years-old, I've had loved ones suffering from then dying from cancer. I surely does try my faith. I see evil people walking around in apparently good health, and thriving, and I try to remind myself that they are reaping the rewards of their evil deeds here on Earth, but we will receive ours in Heaven. Sometimes it's a bitter pill to swallow, especially right after a loss, or when a loved one is suffering, but I try to hold onto it.

25. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Thousands of sermons have been preached about this. C.S. Lewis referred to suffering and pain as atheism's most potent weapon against Christianity. How can a God of love allow such things as war, sickness, pain, and death? Either He is a not a God of love, they argue, or He is not a God of power. It's a good argument because there are no easy or completely satisfactory answers.

In the face of suffering, it is difficult to remember that there is also good in the world. Perhaps the world that God set up for us in the Garden of Eden was intended to be one without suffering and pain. That didn't last, and I would argue that it was not God's fault that it ended, unless, of course, you can view free will as being a curse. That's not a wholly satisfactory answer, of course, because we don't want to believe that we should be held responsible for sins committed by someone many generations ago. But then, we have all taken advantage of our own opportunities to sin, and to fall short of the glory of God.

Why do innocent people suffer? There are no innocent people, but I don't know why there is suffering in the world.

It's quite a stretch to go from there to an assumption that there is no God, however. I believe that God has put the rules in place that govern the way in which things work, but He has chosen not to strictly control what we do with it, and I don't know that it can be reasonably argued that we have done well with it. The air we breathe is not pure, nor is the water we drink, or the food we eat. The things we do, as human beings, do not necessarily contribute to long, healthy lives that are free of pain and suffering.

I do believe in prayer, but God is not at our command. Sometimes, He chooses to answer our prayers in a manner that is understood and recognizable as an answer to prayer. Most often, I think He looks at the bigger picture. When viewed alongside eternity, the amount of time that we are here on earth is minuscule, so perhaps the things that are at the top of our priorities now are not so very important in view of the larger picture that includes eternity.

In the Bible, miracles were not performed in order to feed the hungry, heal the sick, cause the blind to see, the lame to walk, or the dead to rise from the grave. Although they included all of these things, the miracles that were performed by Jesus Christ and his disciples were done in order to get the people's attention so that they would hear the gospel message, which was the matter of real importance.

I believe that is true of prayers today. When God answers our prayers, there is a greater purpose, I think, one that is far more important than healing the person who prays for healing or whatever else it is that we might be praying for. Most often, I trust that God looks beyond the specific thing that we are praying for, and this can be both frustrating and disheartening. Mostly, I think that God has put the rules that govern the earth in place, leaving us to the natural consequences of what we or someone else may have done.

If I step out in front of a moving truck, my life will depend on the reaction time and skills of the truck driver, as well as as the ability of the truck to stop. If I am struck the truck, my life is likely to be in the hands of the EMTs who pick me up and the emergency personnel in the hospital. Whether I live or die probably doesn't have anything to do with the kind of life that I have lived, or who might be praying for me, unless God has some specific purpose for my life that can't be easily taken up by someone else. Could God miraculously allow the truck to pass through me without harming me or heal me of my injuries without the need of medical care? Certainly, but I don't think that's likely that He will.

I do believe in the power of prayer, but I think that we're less likely to get the answers we want when the only time we talk to God is when we're looking for something. I have known people who live lives that are more godly than my own, and they have told me of the things that God has done for them in their life. I have no reason to doubt them, but neither do I think that they are living the lives they live in order to get stuff from God here on earth. They look beyond that, and God blesses them for it.

Diane Lane likes this.