Important Question For Everybody Regarding Electronics

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Janice Martin, May 23, 2016.

1. Ever since I was a little kid, I've followed the approach of unplugging everything (except refrigerator of course) as soon as a thunderstorm starts. While my mother had a huge phobia about thunderstorms, the approach seemed to be logical after one time nobody did this and the t.v. blew out.

Here's the problem: I lose a lot of work time, and can't afford to. But I'm concerned if I run computer (desktop PC on DSL, plus modem on a phone line), it'll blow out and I'll really be sunk.
    These items are plugged into a powerbar, but I have no idea whether the powerbar is grounded or not, have no way of finding out, and am afraid to take risks with it.

People in my apartment complex run everything during storms- televisions, air conditioners, etc., and they think my approach is old-fashioned and ridiculous. But if my computer blows I'll be out of a job and out of income, and certainly can't replace it.

so I thought I'd come here and ask what you all think.

Diane Lane and Babs Hunt like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When the rumble of thunder is close to us, we unplug our HD tv. We leave our Blue-Ray DVD, Wii Game and COMCAST DVR plugged in however. We had to have a circuit board replaced on the tv a few years ago and the technician told us the thing blew due to either construction going on in the complex or by lighting. We don't unplug our computer, but do leave it off.

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Lightening hits are very unpredictable, but can, and do, destroy a whole lot of data installations. In Phoenix, I worked for Sears servicing their various stores. One big storm knocked out nearly all communications equipment as well as sales registers, in their new Superstition Springs store.

Frank

K E Gordon and Harry Kemp like this.
  4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I use power surge protectors with all of my electronics. I've never lost anything before I starting using them though.

@Janice Martin if your powerbar isn't a surge protector I would switch to one to be safer than sorry.

5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

OTOH, this "Information Revolution" sometimes drives me to think that if my computer is "knocked out", I might just be better off, as life before computers seemed so much more simple, and carefree.

Or, old fuddy-duddy talking here. Your call. Frank

Harry Kemp likes this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Janice, this tread you started was perfect timing for me as I came back from my time at my daughter's in Texas only to discover that I could not connect my laptop to the internet. My Hot Spot said it was connected, but my laptop said there was no connection. And since there had been a night of real bad weather while I was gone I thought lightning must have messed up my laptop, or hit the cell tower that my Hot Spot used to connect me to the Internet. I tried everything I knew to do with my laptop but nothing helped and the Hot Spot just kept saying I was connected. So I took both things to my daughter's house the next day and used her connection through Cox with my laptop....and in no time I was back online. So that told me my laptop was fine. The problem was definitely in my Hot Spot. So Monday morning I called the number for problems with my Hot Spot...and found out that nothing was really wrong with my Hot Spot either. My bank had send me a new debit card with new info and since the monthly charge for my Hot Spot is debited from my bank every month....they did not have the new info and the debit would not go through. I received no email, etc. about this problem, they just disconnected my Hot Spot from their side...but the Hot Spot does not tell you it is disconnected. Anyway, I supplied the Company with my new info and now everything is working just fine and I am back online after 4 days of not being able to get online. They probably did try to send me an email but it seems they had that wrong too as they had added some extra letters in my email name...so that never got to me either. It took a little time to get it all straight, but the good thing is lightning did not mess up anything and I learned a few new things about my Hot Spot and that if I get a new debit or any other card I better make sure any new info is passed on to those who need to know it too.

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Thankfully, we never have to worry about unplugging thing anymore. Since both Bobby and I just use our iPads, and they do not have to be plugged in except for recharging, we don't worry about it when the weather is bad like we used to when we had to unplug all of that computer equipment.
    The modem is just rented; so we are not even responsible if something goes wrong with that. We used to go around and unplug everything when it stormed; but now, we just watch the television for news about the progression of the storms, and continue to use our tablets the same as always.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Live before computers was what??? Actually, my brother hates computers. But, then again, many people who love outdoor work (pretty physical "outdoor work", at that), aren't the computer type anyway. A lot of men who use/like computers, like myself, have long-thin (or thinner) fingers. His fingers are short and stubby.

Actually, I took three years of typing in high school and starting using a computer in 1988 while working as a Stockroom Supervisor for a manufacturing company. At that time, I didn't have a PC, so would go to local library and use theirs. I REALLY wish I would've had a computer while in the Navy, but in the late 60's, nobody even knew the word "computer". And, keeping Inventory on 3 x 5 index cards was a real pain! Yes, I'm proud to say, "I LOVE computers!"

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

@Janice Martin I second @Von Jones, if you can't determine whether or not your power strip has a surge protector, it's better to replace it with one you know does. I've heard there's such a thing as whole home surge protectors, but those are out of my price range, although I would invest if I had the money, since appliances are expensive.

K E Gordon and Von Jones like this.
  10. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I agree, I think the best compromise measure is to plug the appliances into a power surge strip. This is the way you can get the convenience of keeping your appliances plugged in, and the security of knowing they are protected. I think the best way to protect your appliances and to be able to use them is to use the power strip.

11. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Besides the surge protector aspect of them, I really enjoy using power strips for a couple of other reasons. One, there aren't nearly enough outlets in this house, so using power strips enables me to plug in everything I need to plug in. I don't know what large families with numerous devices and kitchen and bathroom tools/instruments do in older homes, it would drive me crazy without power strips, and it's just me here right now. Two, I like being able to simply flip the switch on the power strip to shut down all of the affected devices at once, or even to unplug the entire strip, then only having to plug in one item when I'm ready to use something.

12. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, we just bought another one yesterday, and made sure it had a surge protection feature. The other good thing about power strips is that they can be flipped off when not in use, and saves you from individually having to unplug all appliances. The one I had, just mysteriously stopped working, but it was likely more than 10 years old, so I think it was time for another!

13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a degree in Industrial Engineering but there was no confirmation that lightning can actually damage an appliance that is plugged and running. But there are cases I hear, not confirmed though, that their tv had burned when after hearing the roar of thunder. My question is this - if it was indeed the lightning that burned the tv, can you imagine the thousands of volts that hit the tv? It would have exploded into bits.

But to be safe than sorry, it is better to quit using any appliance, tv or computer. The surge protector or AVR (automatic voltage regulator) or any electronic device cannot safeguard the sudden surge of power coming from a lighting bolt. Now, the only remedy to that is in using a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) where you can run your computer from that device. Just be sure to unplug the UPS so lightning cannot touch your computer. Of course, you have to plug back the UPS when the lightning stops so the UPS can recharge its batteries again.

K E Gordon likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

For my money, the best, most practical, and most rewarding use of a computer, in terms of useful return, is running machinery. A program is written which uses specific "inputs", informational data, which is entered into the computer; meanwhile, it uses those inputs to determine when, where, and for how long to turn "outputs" on and off. Thinking about data needed to successfully run an automobile engine, for example. Not as mind-blowingly complex as many believe. Inputs are provided by, most importantly, the driver (gas pedal demand), and input "sensors", throttle position, exhaust gas oxygen sensor, crankshaft position as it is spinning, amount of air entering the engine. Though there are more, only those 4 are essential.

Using the info provided by those 4, the computer provides specific "outputs": fuel to the cylinders, ignition to the spark plugs, and that engine purrs like a kitten! Wondrous use for a computer!
    Frank

15. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

I use a power surge system for my modem (router) and it has worked brilliantly during storms. When I loved down in Provence we used to have huge electrical storms of the Mediterranean in the late autumn and the system kicked in a dozen or so times each year. Where I love now, in the north-east of France, it hasn't been needed once in 4 years, even though we've had a few storms. I still keep it anyway. In France we have to have circuit breakers, by law, if we use over 5 sockets (which definition includes ceiling light fixtures) - and these are very effective if there are local surges in power.

Buildings are wired on a point-to-point system, rather than an loop - so in certain circumstance a part of a dwelling can be without electricity, but the rest still be powered. I find this is a better system than the loop system I was used to in the UK.