I'm In Hospital - Not Ill, Just A Bit Squashed

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Julie Stewart, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

After a wonderful weekend visit from my daughter, I walked her to the station on Sunday evening and on my way home I got knocked over by two boys on those (I don't what they're called) motorised, two-wheeled, no handles hover-board things that seem to be all the craze.

The first knocked me over, the second rode right down my right side. They didn't stop. People came to help, called for an ambulance, called Dany from my phone and someone got a photo of the disappearing boys.

Anyway, as I say, squashed but not ill. The hospital is super ... I guess not being or feeling ill helps! Dislocated shoulder, one broken rib, hip slightly askew and badly swollen ankle which may have a break or fracture.

I get a hot thermal bath twice a day and am enjoying Wimbledon, the last stages of the Euro 2016 and the Tour de France. The food is super and my state allows me to have wine if I want with it if I want. So, I'm p****d off that it happened but not complaining.

I'll be here for a few more days until all the swelling has gone down and they can assess my ankle fully.

Dany just brought my computer in this morning ....

2. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh my goodness, Julie, how awful! I hope that your recovery is fast and complete! @Julie Stewart

3. Julie Stewart

Registered

Thank you Mari.

I realized, with horror, during a wakeful moment in the night, that it could have been worse - if I'd fallen to one side instead of straightforward the second boy would have gone right across my stomach - that could have caused serious damage to internal organs. I was lucky.

4. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes... stomach/internal organs would have been horrible! Will law enforcement actively keep searching for those boys?

5. Julie Stewart

Registered

The police called Dany this morning, they traced the boys to the holiday campsite on the edge of town. They haven't spoken to them or their parents yet - it was a group of local boys who recognised them as they had spent some time together in the skateboard park on those hover-board things. They are on holiday from Switzerland. The police called the campsite and the Swiss families have gone out - but their tents and a caravan are still their and booked in for the week. I imagine contact will be made;

Joe Riley and Mari North like this.
  6. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

That is terrible Julie! I can't imagine not stopping to make sure you were all right. That was akin to a hit and run except with no car! I can't remember the name of those vehicles right now either. That is the craziest thing I ever heard of. I have they can be located and sued, or their parents sued..and they never get their hands on one of those vehicles again!

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

@Julie Stewart ,so sorry to hear of your "Hit & Run" injuries! Prayers for your full recovery are going out. Nothing like being swept aside by the next generation!;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi again Julie x
    Positive thoughts for you will be prominent the next few days for sure
    We are so concerned about this but pleased to see you being chirpy - that helps :) x

Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh my, that's terrible! Glad you are taking it so well and hope your injuries heal quickly but that hospital sounds kind of nice! Wine in a hospital?

What's also terrible is that the boys didn't stop. Accidents do happen but they should have stopped, hope they're found.

10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, oh, what a sad news. I'm really sorry to hear about what happened. And I was just reading the thread about weak bones and now you have a dislocated shoulder, worse with that broken rib and hip problem. In short, you are heavily injured.

Yeah, we call that toy hoverboard and it was actually been an issue last year that is dangerous. There was even a priest who had used that toy while saying mass. He was reprimanded for that silly stunt. Now, what happened to you is proof enough that hoverboards are not a good toy especially when in a public place.

Joe Riley likes this.
  11. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

All the best for you Julie and hope you’re back to normal soon. Hospitals are great at emergency medicine and it sounds like they are going out of their way to make your stay peasant.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Modern day kids don't seem to be taught to be considerate of others these days. Hope you heal fast and well.

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Add my prayers , along with @Joe Riley 's, for a fast and complete recovery, @Julie Stewart . That was certainly a "shattering experience" in every sense of the word ! I hope that they are able to find the boys that did this, and hold both the boys and their families responsible.
    It seems like young people nowdays do not have that sense of responsibility that most of us "oldsters" grew up being taught.
    It is going to take a while before you are back to your normal self again, and this will definitely put a stop to the mototcycle trips while you are healing; but at the same time, it is wondeful that you were not more seriously injured.
    I am glad that you can have your laptop in the hospital and keep yourself entertained and in communication with everyone.
    Any idea when you can go home ?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    Joe Riley and Ike Willis like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm glad there's no permanent damage done, but sorry you've had to go through it. Get well soon.

Joe Riley likes this.
  15. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Julie...wow!! they really hit you hard didn't they?..so sorry you're in hospital and you've got broken bones..Ouch!!!

I think I'm very lucky because I had a similar thing happen to me 2 weeks ago when we were in Southern Spain. We were walking casually down a pedestrian area in the dark, but it was very lit, lots of shops and restaurants open...and I turned round to take a photo of something behind me, and suddenly was hit really hard which knocked me off my feet. My first instinct was to think I'd been hit by an invalid scooter, until I heard my husband shout..''You inconsiderate idiots''.. and I looked up and saw a teenage girl and boy on those motorised hover board things that you describe , the female had lost control of hers and it had crashed into me. No apologies nothing...in fact they thought it was funny...

My husband tore her off a strip telling her to act her age etc (they were about 18 years old or more)...and I got off with just a big bruise....

I hope you get better quickly...