Illegal Drinking Straws?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Frank Sanoica, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My nephew sent me the news article below. Saving my comments until after you folks read it. My big question is, who will go to jail, the server, or the owner or manager?

[​IMG]

Beyond doubt, if passed, this will create many new jobs. Hundreds of employees will be needed by the State to travel about dining and ordering at taxpayer expense, to determine who is violating the law, and where. They might aptly be called "Shills", or maybe even Pawns.

Also beyond doubt, if passed, this bill will "clean-up" California's beaches and public gathering places. As mentioned, straws and stirrers were the 6th. most collected items along the coast from 1989 to 2014.

Yep. Put the offenders in jail, another real "job creator", possibly even requiring expansion of jail facilities, more jail employees, a whole new wave of "prosperity" for California.

Frank

Shirley Martin and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm pleased they're being outlawed, we managed very well with paper straws - no need for plastic ones
    Over here, it will not be permitted by outlets to provide them

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep I agree..we were fine with Paper straws in the past, no need for plastic IMO..

Patsy Faye likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

The few restaurants Ive been in recently, didn't have straws...only paper.

I have read some are buying reusable metal straws that can be cleaned...then carrying them in their purse....those that don't like the paper ones.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh good grief... I never use a stinkin straw of any kind...except maybe to punch holes in a cake. Paper ones would be best choice...but leave it to Californians
    to go to the extreme of it becoming a Bill. Just outlaw plastic straws to be made-period- end of problem. :D

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Gloria Mitchell "Just outlaw plastic straws to be made-period- end of problem."

They've tried that approach before, like with drugs. It creates a "black-market" for the item. Imagine some clever guy making straws in the confines of his basement.........
    Frank

Shirley Martin and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I desperately looked for straws made in USA. No deal. All made in China. Even the paper ones I found in the little specialty kitchen store. My hopes were dashed when I turned the box over: "Made in China" Finally I found some heavy ones made in USA at, all places, Walmart and bought two packages. Reusable and these will last.

I'm all for the paper straws. Bring them on and make them in The USA please!

Patsy Faye and Frank Sanoica like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Do you remember the black market in toilets? We have a black market running in gas cans here coming in from Canada. Apparently Canadians are smart enough to use the old fashioned gas cans that always work, but Americans aren't bright enough and have to have safety devices on everything. Same with propane tanks. Actually, it is lawyers. There are so many lawyers that there isn't enough real legitimate work for them to do, so they have to become "plaintiffs lawyers" to sue people over stupid stuff. Much of the problems with the medical costs here are lawyers as well. About 80% of the testing and imaging that goes on in ERs is to defend themselves against potential lawsuits.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

What's wrong with drinking directly from the cup? I do that, anyway.

10. Kitty Carmel

Registered

Something about a straw at times. Plus if I make a smoothie or shake, I like a straw.

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Maybe straws should be made from what they originated from--straws? Straws may be known to cause cancer in California, though.

12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Don Alaska
    The Proposition 65 wording actually states: "..........known to the State of California to........."
    The meaning, interpretation, of that phrase could lend itself to litigation. The "State of California" is an incarnate, unthinking, non-living entity incapable of knowing a damned thing! Of course, the lawmakers themselves like to think of themselves as the "State of California". Actually, to me, the state, status, of California is dubious in itself.

@Chrissy Cross Sorry, Chrissy.
    Frank

13. Kitty Carmel

Registered

What about me?! I'm in Cali!

14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Kitty Carmel
    You are?? Well,.......umm,........ I've got a biiig mouth!
    Frank

15. Kitty Carmel

Registered

No problem Frank. You can put my home state down all you and anyone else wants to. It has some good points and some beautiful areas. I can't say it doesn't have some major problems.

I think part of our reputation is deserved and some of it not.

Chrissy Cross and Frank Sanoica like this.