Ike Willis

Discussion in 'In Memoriam' started by Ike Willis, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ike Willis You have carved a place in my heart with your stories and your personality that made me know you even though I never got to meet you in person. Thank you. And I look forward to the day we do meet face to face. :)

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi All....So sorry it's been a while...crazy summer & even crazier start of the school year !!
    Here's the next long awaited story !

Favorite Christmas
    Anybody have a favorite Christmas or holiday? For me it was Christmas-1945
    Christmas of 1945 was one I'll never forget. I was near 6 years old then but I have no memory of my Dad or uncles before the summer of 1945. My memory didn't kick in until I was about 4, it seems. That summer Dad, a stranger to me, came to live with us and a whole lot of strange men were coming by to visit. Dad left to fight in WW2 sometime after the Pearl Harbor attack. So did Dad's 3 brothers and 2 brother-in-laws. Dad and one brother were in the army air corps, as the air force was called then. They were both stationed at a base in Mendlesham England. A B-17 bomber base. Dad's other 2 brothers were navy, seeing action in the Pacific. A brother-in-law was also navy and the other was infantry. He saw much action. D day, battle of the bulge to name a few. And he helped liberate the death camps. He never quite got over that. Anyway, the day before Christmas we were all getting the old farmhouse ready for Dad's first Christmas at home since the war ended. Something was needed from town. Gramps still drove then, so he volunteered to drive in and get whatever item was needed. Preparations continued and gramps was forgotten until supper time. It was dark by then, and cold with lots of snow on the ground from a previous snowfall. Just as the adults were getting up a good worry, our old wooden cased crank wall phone rang our ring. It was the sheriff. He had gramps, would someone come and get him. So, Dad and big brother Ike took the car and went in after gramps. It seems that gramps stopped at a house that he thought looked like ours, staggered into their kitchen, sat at their table and passed out. Sheriff Hagan was an old friend. Since no damage was done, the sheriff was able to talk the offended family out of any charges. Christmas day was one of food, drink, laughter and gifts. I got acquainted with all the "new"uncles, their wives or girlfriends, and they gave me lots of neat stuff. Things like sailor hats, medals, a deactivated hand grenade, aircraft ID books, a canvas cartridge belt, nazi pennant, canteen and more. I was sure I died and went to heaven. A lot of Christmas's have passed since those days.

Have a great evening, Bethanne