If You Could Start Your Life Over, What Would You Change?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Jake Smith, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm not sure what if anything I would change in my life now, would've loved to avoid the accident and injuries throughout my life, that's for sure.

" What about you, would you change, anything"?
    What's something if you could start over again in life you would do? Why would you and what wouldn't you change about it?
    If you could start your life over again, what would you most want to accomplish?
    If you could start your life over again, what is the first thing you would do, and what is one thing you are 100% sure to never do again?
    If you could start your life all over, what would you want to be?
    If you could start your adult life over again, what would you change differently?

There are some pretty neat stories, after this guy's story, to me.

In 2010, the girl I loved more than anything, the love of my life, left me abruptly and (arranged) married another man just because he was much richer than me. I had lost hope

And then, my mom passed away. I had no dad. There was no money in the house and I had to vacate. I stayed at friends' place, looking for ways to kill myself without causing trouble for others. I would get up every single day hoping to die that day. I had failed on every walk of life. And then it happened.

I met with an accident. No, I didn't jump in front of the milk truck that hit me. It was an accident. The last thing I remember was the crimson of my blood dripping from god knows where into my eyes. I hoped it was going to be fatal. I couldn't feel my left arm, there

I knew I had hit rock bottom. This was the lowest point in my life. Laying there in the middle of the road, soaking in my own blood, something hit me on a very fundamental level.

I had absolutely nothing, which means I had nothing more to lose.

At that It took me 6 months and a lot of

There will be something

It's been 4 years, all the memories are fresh in my memory. I am a professional photographer, I make much more than enough to support myself, the rest I donate to charity. As for that girl, well, I don't have a clue.

There is no pause button in life, it has to go on no matter what. A small part of me wanted to carry on no matter what happened, I'm sure you have that part in you as well. Nothing in this world is impossible mate.

"link"
    https://www.quora.com/If-you-could-start-your-life-over-what-would-you-change

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

To imagine such things would be something akin to playing craps.
    Once the initial dice is thrown, one never knows what the second, third, forth etc throw might be.
    Better not to throw the dice at all and know what the outcome is than to throw them and have to imagine all the possibilities that might be revealed afterward.

In other words, if one thing is changed, then everything, including those things that were good, has to change also.
    It’s better to be content with what I have already experienced than to imagine all the possibilities that could arise with one simple change.

3. Jake Smith

Registered

So you're content with everything in your past, and wouldn't change a thing? Or is there one single thing you might change, if you could, without it changing everything?

As for me, as was saying, I would change accidents and injuries, which would make what was bad, good for me. :)

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

After giving it a lot of thought over the years, and sometimes wishing desperately that I could start my life over from an earlier age, I finally came to about the same conclusion as Bobby did .
    Yes, there are a lot of things that I would love to go back and do over differently, or miss out on completely if that were possible; but even if I went back with all the knowledge that I have right now of what would happen and when, it probably wold not make much difference.
    There would be other stupid decisions I would make that might change my life drastically, and some of the things I might want to change were actually a pathway to something better in my life, or at least i can now look back and see good things that came from even some of my poor decisions.

I would like to miss accidents that happened, but that would mean that there would still be other things that i didn’t want to change, and would then have to go through either some of the same life over again, or go through a new life that I would make different mistakes and maybe be in even worse accidents.
    Since I made it as far as I am now, and still alive, my best choice is just to make the best of the life I have now, and try to learn from past mistakes.

But, I will say this…… what I would like to do is time travel back to when I was younger, or maybe even back to when my parents were young, and get to know what they were like before I was born and when I was too young to remember much of my life. A lot of things happened that I didn’t know about until after my folks had passed away, and it was too late to be able to ask them about their life.

5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

If possible, I would change some things but not many, things I'd change is some things I said to others at times. Far as the bad things done to me in the long run, they just made me stronger.

Von Jones and Jake Smith like this.
  6. Jake Smith

Registered

I was thinking in the back of my mind that too, if I had missed the accidents, there may have been worse ones or even death; so I should be glad they weren't worse; though some came very close to death then. I've always loved time travel shows since I was a child. Wish you could've got to know the things about your parents; that you wanted to. I think everyone has some kind of regrets, about the way their past turned out. Also think Marie had a good point, about changing some of the things we may have said to others.

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

any of the things that directed my life were beyond my control. My parents died when I was young, so that changed my future, then Vietnam happened--draft number was #7--and that again changed my life. I don't think I would change anything that I myself decided except perhaps buying our second house.

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It is not that I like everything that happened in my life but I’m content with my past knowing that each scar, each physical or mental injury, each love lost and each love won has a story.
    Without the story, the man one sees now disappears along with the legacy of life’s experiences he could have taught.

I may not trust as much now if it were not for people who were a part of broken trust.
    If not for broken hearts, if not for sickness, if not for goals reached and goals lost;
    If not for the many times I had to bend or those times when I refused to do so;
    If not for all the things I have seen, heard and felt;
    My journey would not have produced the story I became.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting topic. I think most of us get to a certain age and look back with a few regrets. One thing I would do is spend more time with my parents because they were gone too soon. I was so wrapped up in raising my young family that I neglected to see that my folks were in failing health. We lived 800 miles apart so I didn't get to see them nearly enough in their final years.

10. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Going through life is like running the gauntlet and come out still standing. I'm still standing. If I had lived any other life I may not still be standing, so I'm content with what was. It was far from perfect but any other life might have been less so.

11. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

i wouldnt move in with relitives

12. Jake Smith

Registered

That's true, we are molded by our experiences. The expansion of this topic is endless when you think about it. Many are not happy with their lives, and it can be a sad outcome for many who feel that way.

Think, that's why the guy who wrote this; edited this at the end.

Edit:
    If anybody reading this now is somewhere I was, I want you to get the option of quitting out of your head. What I tried to do is not cool, it is embarrassing. It is shameful. Don't be that person, don't even try. Anything in life can change for the better before your decision to quit it, after that, there's just no coming back. I of all people can vouch for that previous sentence. Now get out there and live the life you deserve because you are a beautiful person in your own unique sense. Please don't find this post triggering, that is the last thing I want.
    Thank you all for the kind comments.

Marie Mallery and Von Jones like this.
  13. Jake Smith

Registered

LOL, good one, Betty.

Are you serious; I came back to edit this in case you were. Didn't know, and had found it humorous, when I first read it, thinking about some of my own family. But I can relate, and understand if you are.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I had no choice with my own parents, but my father-in-law was a prince of a man who I didn't give enough respect. I wish I could redo that part of life.

15. Jake Smith

Registered

Sad, we couldn't go back and change what we regret. It's a big eye-opener for us when our parents die. When we are young; we think things are always gonna last, then we get woke up to reality. For a year or so after mine passed, I would pick up the phone to call them and realize they were gone. :(