If You Could Live In Any Era Of History That You Want To, What Era Would You Choose?

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Babs Hunt, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Tim Burr , watch yer self, you just might have a warrior wife standing behind ja. What's in store for her? Hmmmmm??? :p :D :eek:

Bill Boggs and Tim Burr like this.
  2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I could now imagine living in the time I lived I have see milk and bread delivered by horse and wagon and also the ice truck that we would run out and get some of the chips as they cut the ice for everyone’s icebox. Being able to walk down the street with a rifle or shot gun and no one cared. Hearing proper airplanes because that all there was and then moving into jet planes. I remember my father teaching us how to crank the car to get it started. I also remember the first TV in the neighborhood it was in our house and all the children would come over to watch it. I remember my first computer programmed by tap and connected to the TV. When I sailed out of Canada I was the only boat to have computer navigation program now it is very common. When I was first living in the D.R. countryside my mother-in-law had the only cell phone and the kids would have to run it down the road to the neighbors when some one from the U.S. would call now every 10 year old has one. This I think this was the best time in history to see horseback delivery to spaceships.

3. Augusta Heathbourne

Augusta Heathbourne Active Member
    Registered

I agree with you, Martin. This era has been a very exciting time to live! I wouldn't change eras for anything!

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Once upon a time on the backroads of my memory I too had a yearning for those pioneering days. Not sure why. Maybe because of three books I read in my much younger day by Zane Grey which at the time seemed to be trilogy. The books were "The Spirit of the Border," "Betty Zane," and "The Last Trail." The time frame of these books were in the period of Daniel Boone set in the Ohio Valley and eastward into Kentucky. And it could be that my family history played a part in my yearning for that period of our migration westward. My family seems to have arrived in this country in the early seventeen hundreds, but the history blossomed into the public eye back in Winchester, in Clark County, Kentucky in the mid-seventeen hundreds. Public records show a Boggs' migration into Winchester county during the early seventeen hundreds, some staying, others moving to Ohio and Texas. My grandfather was born in 1859 in Winchester, Kentucky and stories he told from his family stories and his coming to Texas as a child made, I'm sure, big impressions.

I myself come up during the depression era and early war 2 years. I remember the iceman and milkman deliveries. I remember my mom washed the families' clothes in a cast iron pot over a fire in our back yard. She made lye soap in that same black pot. I remember getting out first ice box. My first car had to be cranked to get it started and we took weekly baths in a number 2 wash tub.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Dunno.....
    The 50's were pretty cool but everyone worried about nuclear war and the guys were coming back from Korea.
    Toward the end of the decade we were starting to hear the first bits of information about some place in S.E. Asia and the Cold War with the U.S.S.R. was really kicking in and the threat of yet another war was in the air.

Every other era I can think of was a toss up in that a person's life expectancy was pretty bleak because even the smallest sniffle was no joking matter. If a person did live a fairly healthy life it was as a very poor person or fairly well to do with very little promise in between. Always the fear of being a victim to nobility or the highway man isn't my cup of tea either.

While I am still not sure of the "what if's", I think I will try to make the best of what I have. If I was able to go back in time, or forward in time, I would probably miss the things I have in this time.

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

But dreaming about such different times is still fun. While I'm dreaming, I might as well go for broke. I'll have to dream that I'm a male as well, because women didn't fair too well in the past. :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Kalvin Mitnic

Kalvin Mitnic Well-Known Member
    Registered

Women had their moments like the Borgia's and the 'Royals' of many countries. You just have to be specific.;)

Bobby Cole and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  8. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hell no....lolol not me:p

Patsy Faye and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have to admit the time I've lived has been pretty interesting. Depression, a world at war, Economic recovery, my own personal war (korea) which was both frightening and educational, the fifties, sixties, and Viet Nam, and right on up till now. Here we are. As someone has said,"everywhere you go, there you are."

So I guess if I had to pick only one time period, I'd pick the same one one, this one. It might give me a chance to right some wrongs.

Bobby Cole and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  10. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Hi @Bill Boggs , I like your present avatar, you have a bit of a rouge look going on there. :)

You have some valid points there. But as long as we're dreaming here, I'd like to be a time traveler. I'd be popping in and out of different eras. Better yet, I'd like to be able to view the past remotely, instead of participating in just one. :cool:

Plus I really don't think I'd get very far without having to learn the ins and outs of how to survive in an earlier period. :rolleyes:

11. Jeanee Burke

Jeanee Burke Member
    Registered

I'd like to live about 1000 years from now. Maybe then people will be sane and all these horrible things that happen now a days will stop for good!

Bill Boggs likes this.
  12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I hate to bust your bubble , @Jeanee Burke ,but people haven't changed in the last 2017 years and likely won't change in the next 1000. Still, it would be interesting to see what we have become. So, I'll go with you to 3017.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.