If Someone Asked You For $10 At A Gas Station, Would You Give It?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 12, 2022.

?

Would you give someone $10 if they said they needed it for gas to get home?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Maybe

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  4. That would depend on whether it was a man or a woman.

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. That would depend on the age of the person asking.

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. That would depend on other things.

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have given to people I know to be in need, but I rarely give to anyone who approaches me or stands on the corner begging for money. I have, but rarely. I strongly suspect that pretty much all of them are scammers.

2. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Years ago, I was servicing one of my accounts one day and a 30-ish man approached me in the parking lot. He said he was hitchhiking north to see his mother and had come off the interstate to get something to eat. He said he needed 57 cents more to get a Big Mac and a Coke.

I was hungry myself, so I said, OK, let's go over there and I'll buy you lunch.

I bought him a Big Mac meal and we sat, ate and chatted. He was a very interesting person, pretty clean cut, said he had "lost his way" but had stopped drinking and was heading home for a new start.

I'm not usually inclined to give money to panhandlers but I had a good feeling about him. I fished around in my purse and found a $20 (which was two hours pay for me in those days) and gave it to him. He thanked me profusely and kissed my hand.

I wished him good luck and he headed back to the highway on-ramp. I have thought about him occasionally in the years past and hope he made it home and restarted his life.

But, no, I don't give money any more to panhandlers. The ones in my area are professionals. Quite a few of them get dropped off and picked up by a van. The others all seem to have nice bicycles.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, there's this guy down at the corner with his "Who am I kidding, I need a beer" sign. I always give him money because I understand needing a beer.

4. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

They certainly are. They can't go to a shelter because shelters don't allow drugs or alcohol.
    I've seen them trading off dogs & children to each other to get more money. Many of them clear more money than working people. You Tube has many videos of them getting into their Mercedes SUV's after their "shift." Hilarious when they're confronted.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

The last time I gave someone who asked at a gas station. No loitering sign clearly present in the window. I was opening the door to leave and heard one young boy say don't asked she's not going to and stopped mid sentence. The other young boy asked and I gave him a couple of dollars from the change I had. He was so thankful with a big smile on his face. That made me feel good. He had faith is what his smile said to me. Another time a woman came to my door with a reference from someone else in the neighborhood that I knew. She had me standing there listening that I had to interrupt her. She needed $15 dollars for bus fare until she got paid and would pay me back. I gave her $10. She came back I thought to pay me but she had a whole different story asking me for money. Never mentioned borrowing from me before. I turned her away.

6. Celia Jenkins

Celia Jenkins Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was once in a supermarket and the lady in front of me at the check-out didn't have enough to pay for her groceries. I paid the difference. It was only a small amount but in this case, I knew she was genuine.

Hedi Mitchell and Von Jones like this.