Ice Cream... Mmmmm... Let's Talk About It!

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Arlene Richards, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

There is a family owned ice cream shop in my neighborhood that has a flavor I'm becoming addicted to: French butter fudge. It's mostly really good vanilla ice cream with chocolate fudge swirls. I bought a quart and I have to eat in small cup or I'll eat the whole container! :) Sometimes I buy a box of sugar cones and eat it that way.

I also like Ben & Jerry's chunky monkey, and Haagen Dazs vanilla.

A gourmet ice cream shop near me has a good one - Salty caramel ($10.00 a PINT). They also make Queen City chocolate which is a rich chocolate with a bit of cayenne pepper (!). It's good - the pepper gives it a slight kick. Might sound strange but it works.

How about you?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  2. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

A good vanilla ice cream with fresh sliced strawberries, or raspberries.

3. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I love most ice creams, there are a few I don't care for, but most I like very much. My all time favorite ice cream is Baskin and Robbins Pecan Praline. It is simply delicious. However, I will eat almost any kind of ice cream. The last ice cream I purchased was Kroger's Peanut butter with toffee and butterfinger pieces in it...Can we say delicious, People??? I was very proud of myself for eating it in a moderate way, and not going on a massive pig out...:)

Chris Ladewig likes this.
  4. Arlene Richards

Registered

Massive Pig Out is when you don't bother with a bowl - just grab a spoon and dig in! :D

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

Me too. I usually buy in such large quantity that a major pig out has to be a large bowl.

6. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

There is an ice-cream shop in our village and I found "Rollo" ice-cream to be one of my favourites..

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  7. Arlene Richards

Registered

@Steve North describe Rollo flavor please. Anything like Rollo candy (pieces of chocolate candy with caramel)?

8. Arlene Richards

Registered

9. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes.. Exactly that.. Just like the Rollo candy.....
    Simply to die for.....

10. Arlene Richards

Registered

I erroneously posted twice.
    Anyway, now I understand , Steve. Thanks.

11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Ice cream "sodas"! Back home in Illinois, a "Mom & Pop" ice cream company had over some decades become reknowned for wonderful product and great service. Their main store & plant was less than a mile from my house. Their name was Frejlachs Ice Cream, not fitting in with the predominantly Czech and Polish residents, but their work and presence were accepted as wonderful! They opened a second store, sales only, in Riverside (Illinois), beside the well-known Burlington Railroad tracks. Often on a Sunday afternoon, my Dad would drive my Mom & I to that store, where we parked close to the tracks, to witness the pending fervor of a huge steam locomotive thundering by, pulling an impossibly long string of cars!

My favorite was "Chocolate Soda with Chocolate Ice Cream", a request sometimes raising the seller's eyebrows. Vanilla was the standard flavor in sodas! Their chocolate syrup must have been top quality. Most delicious ever!

Frejlach's? German? My friend after high school was George Krejci. The similarity of a "j" in the middle; he was a Czech!

Frank

12. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I also love ice and sometimes I even share it with my dogs especially this past summer when there was a drought. I usually buy the half gallon so I can have 2 flavors instead of buying one gallon with one flavor only. And ice cream is best when served on a cone. It's like you are racing with the melting of the ice cream. As they say, if you are a slow eater of ice cream, don't get the one in the cone.

But my main problem with ice cream is it looks like I'm the only one who likes it. My husband is not fond of ice cream except when he likes the flavor (usually the jackfruit and coconut). Our housemaids are also not fond although they partake sometimes. So it's only me who would be finishing the 2 half gallons. No problem, I have no diabetes anyway. But on second thought... I would be gaining weight.

PS. The best ice cream here is Arce, that's much better than the famous Magnolia ice cream.

13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I have always loved the Neapolitan (chocolate, strawberry and vanilla). It was put second to butter pecan. Lately I have been craving for a banana split though. I seldom buy ice cream myself but Johnny buys a gallon of whatever fancies him at the time.

14. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I love ice cream, especially on a hot Texas evening. I, too, love Ben and Jerry's but the best ice cream (other than homemade) is Blue Bell ice cream. It is the only ice cream that I have tasted that comes close to homemade. My favorite Blue Bell is Cookies N Cream. Uh-oh. I have made myself hungry for some Blue Bell.

15. LineliaTunia

LineliaTunia Guest

I love Haagen Daas and Breyers Rocky Road, and Butter Pecan ice creams.