I Really Need To Get Rid Of Some Things!

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by K E Gordon, Jun 21, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I desparately need to start emptying my house. I have been contemplating having a yard sale for quite awhile, but I am way tucked back here in this subdivision. I doubt people would even traverse up here from the main road plus I forgot to call the newspaper, and didn't want to pay for an ad anyway. Plus I have a few big ticket items..I don't think yard saling them would be such a good idea, because you know how people are...they want to buy everything for 50 cents or something. I am going to put those on a community yard sale site on facebook where items go for more.There is a flea market sort of close to here where you can set up a table for 8 or 10 dollars outside. but then of course you have to drag everything there. I guess maybe I will go the flea market route and just donate what I don't sell. What do you all think?

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

K E Gordon likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Have you considered using a consignment shop? I've considered it myself, but they require you to transport items there, and I don't have a way to do that. They handle everything once you've placed the items with them, and if you don't like their terms, you can check into other companies. I've got some large items I've been trying to sell for quite a while, and haven't had much success. I've tried Craigslist (it's been a while, and I won't try that again) and a local free newspaper, as well as the Facebook local sales groups, but I think maybe the sales apps are the way to go these days. The problem here is that many of the people using those don't even post in English, and it seems each time a new one is created, it's suddenly loaded with scammers. I get contacted by people on my Facebook listings, but it's usually the same song and dance...I'm REALLY interested in this. That's it. I reply, then nothing when I tell them to message me, and if I message them, no reply. Or, I get the ones low balling me and wanting me to meet them, which I'm not going to do, since my vehicle's not in good shape. I don't know what their reasoning is, but it's aggravating and a time waster. Hopefully someone else will have some better ideas, and if so, I'd like to hear them, since I have quite a bit to sell myself.

4. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

You've described my own personal nightmare, @K E Gordon ... I'm going through the same. I *really* don't want to mess with a yard sale... I'm too frugal (well, only in things like this) to toss out mega hundreds of dollars worth of CDs and VHS movies (well the latter is pretty worthless now, so scratch that) and books... sooooo many books of various genres. I even have a huge Christmas tree hogging up the spare room I'd like to get rid of.

So anyhow, I do have a problem with advertising online (Craigslist or Facebook) because I truly don't want to give out a phone number (I don't even have a phone personally) or having people come by the house for things. Too many horror stories... starting with the Craigslist murder a couple of miles from here and numerous break-ins after someone had advertised on Facebook groups.

I hope you get some great ideas here... if so, I'll be ugh... "borrowing" them, perhaps. :D

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. K E Gordon

Registered

This is so true @ Patsy Faye...a pickle could describe my whole life!:p:D Notice how I picked the green face to go along with the overall theme.
    Anyway, I am attempting to get unpickled!

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. K E Gordon

Registered

I have had bad luck with consignment shops in the past. When my son was young, I was able to sell toys and things and get some money back but since that time...no dice. I wouldn't go that way again. I have sold some things on craigslist..but usually like you said Diane Lane...everyone asks questions and then they don't show up, or decide it is not what they want. At least at the flea market I will have exposure. I am experimenting with a close 5 app too, which is an ebay thing that sells to people in your zipcode.

7. K E Gordon

Registered

I haven't really had negative experiences with Craigslist, and have sold a few things on there but for instance, I was trying to sell my snowboard, and people kept asking dimensions in meters and centimeters and so forth...like I know...lol...anyway, several people who asked about it decided it was too small or whatever. A pawn shop expressed interest but this time of the year..I don't think anyone is gonna buy that.

Mari North likes this.
  8. Mari North

Registered

I'm not even sure if Craigslist is active in my area... I'd think not because until that murder happened, there wasn't any talk of it at all. Anyhow, do you (I assume this is the protocol?) meet perspective buyers somewhere neutrally and "in public" to make transactions?

9. K E Gordon

Registered

Maybe we should trade "stuff" Mari North lol. No seriously, I "have to" get rid of things, because I am trying to list my house by September 1 so it is now or never. However, I am not selling...stuff for 5 bucks that I know is worth more...It just isn't going to happen. I have a machine that plays VHS as well as DVD so I may hold onto some of those..VHS tapes..but it is just generalized clutter I want to get rid of, and a few big ticket items.

10. Mari North

Registered

Hehe Maybe we should! You need a monster sized Christmas tree? :D Problem with the VHS for us is (well besides the fact that we no longer have a player) that we bought most of them, our favorites, in DVD when that became the norm... but I totally *refuse* to do it all again in BluRay or whatever replaced BluRay. I so dislike planned obsolescence! Not gonna happen! Good luck with getting rid of your "stuff", @K E Gordon !

K E Gordon likes this.
  11. K E Gordon

Registered

@Mari North I am not sure where you are, but I suspect you are in Canada. Many people sell things on Kiji there which is Canada's version of Craigslist. In fact, I know a lady who pretty much makes her living doing that. And yes, you always meet in a public place using Craigslist. The only time I didn't do that was when a riding mower I bought on there was delivered to me. That is another thing that will have to be sold if I do actually move...but I will deal with that when I come to it!

12. Mari North

Registered

Nope, I'm in the northeast U.S. The "other North", @Steve North , I do believe, is in Canada. I've never seen him before in my life, honest! :) I mentioned Craigslist not being popular because I'm an hour from the nearest fairly large city... in the boondocks here more or less.

K E Gordon likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm in the same boat as all of you. I had a garage sale 8 years ago and never again, I even had help then. My ex was still living with me. It's a lot of work and even 2 people isn't enough when you have a rush of people. Here that rush is even before you open. They come in Pick Up Trucks and swarm on you...just the thought of it causes me anxiety. Then after that it dies down and the day gets hotter and in the end you have to clean up and take what didn't sell to goodwill. I did make $800 though on crap. I won't even contemplate one by myself.

I have dreams of packing up my car with the essentials and important things and just leaving...it's only a dream though because I'm too responsible and ocd to do it.

K E Gordon likes this.
  14. K E Gordon

Registered

Well my ex would help me for sure, but he might be like saying I shouldn't sell certain things or whatever. You know being a bit controlling and what not. However, I don't have a lot of choice in the matter. I am going to spend some time this afternoon organizing things to sell, however, as usual, I have a ton of distractions...like article writing...trying out my webcam for a focus group..and dealing with the AC people. Oh well, you just have to cope the best way you can, and I do!!

Diane Lane likes this.
  15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well you could always store all that "stuff" in a rental storage unit if you are not ready to deal with getting rid of it right now. :)

K E Gordon likes this.