I Really Need To Get Rid Of Some Things!

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by K E Gordon, Jun 21, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I desparately need to start emptying my house. I have been contemplating having a yard sale for quite awhile, but I am way tucked back here in this subdivision. I doubt people would even traverse up here from the main road plus I forgot to call the newspaper, and didn't want to pay for an ad anyway. Plus I have a few big ticket items..I don't think yard saling them would be such a good idea, because you know how people are...they want to buy everything for 50 cents or something. I am going to put those on a community yard sale site on facebook where items go for more.There is a flea market sort of close to here where you can set up a table for 8 or 10 dollars outside. but then of course you have to drag everything there. I guess maybe I will go the flea market route and just donate what I don't sell. What do you all think?

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

K E Gordon likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Have you considered using a consignment shop? I've considered it myself, but they require you to transport items there, and I don't have a way to do that. They handle everything once you've placed the items with them, and if you don't like their terms, you can check into other companies. I've got some large items I've been trying to sell for quite a while, and haven't had much success. I've tried Craigslist (it's been a while, and I won't try that again) and a local free newspaper, as well as the Facebook local sales groups, but I think maybe the sales apps are the way to go these days. The problem here is that many of the people using those don't even post in English, and it seems each time a new one is created, it's suddenly loaded with scammers. I get contacted by people on my Facebook listings, but it's usually the same song and dance...I'm REALLY interested in this. That's it. I reply, then nothing when I tell them to message me, and if I message them, no reply. Or, I get the ones low balling me and wanting me to meet them, which I'm not going to do, since my vehicle's not in good shape. I don't know what their reasoning is, but it's aggravating and a time waster. Hopefully someone else will have some better ideas, and if so, I'd like to hear them, since I have quite a bit to sell myself.

4. Mari North

Mari North Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You've described my own personal nightmare, @K E Gordon ... I'm going through the same. I *really* don't want to mess with a yard sale... I'm too frugal (well, only in things like this) to toss out mega hundreds of dollars worth of CDs and VHS movies (well the latter is pretty worthless now, so scratch that) and books... sooooo many books of various genres. I even have a huge Christmas tree hogging up the spare room I'd like to get rid of.

So anyhow, I do have a problem with advertising online (Craigslist or Facebook) because I truly don't want to give out a phone number (I don't even have a phone personally) or having people come by the house for things. Too many horror stories... starting with the Craigslist murder a couple of miles from here and numerous break-ins after someone had advertised on Facebook groups.

I hope you get some great ideas here... if so, I'll be ugh... "borrowing" them, perhaps. :D

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. K E Gordon

Registered

This is so true @ Patsy Faye...a pickle could describe my whole life!:p:D Notice how I picked the green face to go along with the overall theme.
    Anyway, I am attempting to get unpickled!

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. K E Gordon

Registered

I have had bad luck with consignment shops in the past. When my son was young, I was able to sell toys and things and get some money back but since that time...no dice. I wouldn't go that way again. I have sold some things on craigslist..but usually like you said Diane Lane...everyone asks questions and then they don't show up, or decide it is not what they want. At least at the flea market I will have exposure. I am experimenting with a close 5 app too, which is an ebay thing that sells to people in your zipcode.

7. K E Gordon

Registered

I haven't really had negative experiences with Craigslist, and have sold a few things on there but for instance, I was trying to sell my snowboard, and people kept asking dimensions in meters and centimeters and so forth...like I know...lol...anyway, several people who asked about it decided it was too small or whatever. A pawn shop expressed interest but this time of the year..I don't think anyone is gonna buy that.

Mari North likes this.
  8. Mari North

Registered

I'm not even sure if Craigslist is active in my area... I'd think not because until that murder happened, there wasn't any talk of it at all. Anyhow, do you (I assume this is the protocol?) meet perspective buyers somewhere neutrally and "in public" to make transactions?

9. K E Gordon

Registered

Maybe we should trade "stuff" Mari North lol. No seriously, I "have to" get rid of things, because I am trying to list my house by September 1 so it is now or never. However, I am not selling...stuff for 5 bucks that I know is worth more...It just isn't going to happen. I have a machine that plays VHS as well as DVD so I may hold onto some of those..VHS tapes..but it is just generalized clutter I want to get rid of, and a few big ticket items.

10. Mari North

Registered

Hehe Maybe we should! You need a monster sized Christmas tree? :D Problem with the VHS for us is (well besides the fact that we no longer have a player) that we bought most of them, our favorites, in DVD when that became the norm... but I totally *refuse* to do it all again in BluRay or whatever replaced BluRay. I so dislike planned obsolescence! Not gonna happen! Good luck with getting rid of your "stuff", @K E Gordon !

K E Gordon likes this.
  11. K E Gordon

Registered

@Mari North I am not sure where you are, but I suspect you are in Canada. Many people sell things on Kiji there which is Canada's version of Craigslist. In fact, I know a lady who pretty much makes her living doing that. And yes, you always meet in a public place using Craigslist. The only time I didn't do that was when a riding mower I bought on there was delivered to me. That is another thing that will have to be sold if I do actually move...but I will deal with that when I come to it!

12. Mari North

Registered

Nope, I'm in the northeast U.S. The "other North", @Steve North , I do believe, is in Canada. I've never seen him before in my life, honest! :) I mentioned Craigslist not being popular because I'm an hour from the nearest fairly large city... in the boondocks here more or less.

K E Gordon likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm in the same boat as all of you. I had a garage sale 8 years ago and never again, I even had help then. My ex was still living with me. It's a lot of work and even 2 people isn't enough when you have a rush of people. Here that rush is even before you open. They come in Pick Up Trucks and swarm on you...just the thought of it causes me anxiety. Then after that it dies down and the day gets hotter and in the end you have to clean up and take what didn't sell to goodwill. I did make $800 though on crap. I won't even contemplate one by myself.

I have dreams of packing up my car with the essentials and important things and just leaving...it's only a dream though because I'm too responsible and ocd to do it.

K E Gordon likes this.
  14. K E Gordon

Registered

Well my ex would help me for sure, but he might be like saying I shouldn't sell certain things or whatever. You know being a bit controlling and what not. However, I don't have a lot of choice in the matter. I am going to spend some time this afternoon organizing things to sell, however, as usual, I have a ton of distractions...like article writing...trying out my webcam for a focus group..and dealing with the AC people. Oh well, you just have to cope the best way you can, and I do!!

Diane Lane likes this.
  15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Well you could always store all that "stuff" in a rental storage unit if you are not ready to deal with getting rid of it right now. :)

K E Gordon likes this.
  16. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

If I downsize which I will eventually, a storage unit is my plan. Wherever I go it will be a lot smaller and I have rooms full of almost new things that I won't just give away.

After my husband died and when my new boyfriend moved in with me I had containers full of my husbands clothes and things. I still couldn't get rid of them at that time but John rented a storage unit for me and we put them there.

Then after a few years I was able to get rid of them. I still have his robe and a few other things and it will be 12 years on June 25 that he died but still not able to toss it all.

K E Gordon likes this.
  17. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't want my husband to see this thread. He is always complaining that I have converted one bedroom into my wardrobe closet. In fairness to me, I have several racks for my footwear, the shoes and slippers, and also hanger racks for my clothes. The items are arranged neatly like a boutique so what's the problem with that?

Sometime in 2007, we held a garage sale not for the money but to get rid of extra items in our house that included an old tv set and some appliances that are working but not being used anymore. The neighbors were jubilant especially so that we had prepared food for the customers - free food whether they buy or not. It was a success because all the items for sale were bought before the closing time for that one-day garage sale.

Diane Lane and K E Gordon like this.
  18. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hey every one. This is what I do. I don't receive any money but I do get deductions when I file taxes.

Donate items to an accredited charity. The standard line item(s) for less than $500 doesn't have to be listed but an accumulation of items donated valuing more than $500 does and requires a completed Form 8283, a list of donated items indicating value, and copies of your receipts received from the organization you donated to.

I've been doing this for several years now and it is almost a second nature for me to do this each year. It has helped me to clear away items that I haven't been able to sell.

You can find out more information online just looking up Form 8283.

K E Gordon likes this.
  19. K E Gordon

Registered

HAHA ree food I love it, that seems to be the way to get people to show up for a lot of things Corrie Henson! Anytime free food is involved it seems people will show up just to check it out and munch. I think it is one of the universal draws. Ha, my neighbors already think I am weird though, I am not sure if yardsale and free hotdogs would go over too well lol.

Corie Henson likes this.
  20. K E Gordon

Registered

Update, I have sold a bookcase, and a couple of small electronics.A few down and 25 zillion to go! I got an offer on some tennis rackets, but I think I can make more money selling them at Play it Again Sports, a store that deals in used sporting equipment. I know the store in Richmond is buying, I have to check with the one in Charlottesville, as I will be there tomorrow.

21. K E Gordon

Registered

Well, I have donated some items to the Goodwill store in town, and I suspect that is where many things will go. One thing also, I found intriguing is that neighbors of mine, who are building another house on their property, and keeping their old one as sort of a "guest house" are storing things in a "smart box." which is a storage locker you can keep right on your property. That might be an idea too for me...to store things temporarily. However, I think for me organizing is really the most important thing...because there is plenty of space in here. It just needs to look neat. Also, though I am sure i will be downsizing so I am not going to take things I never use.

22. Diane Lane

Registered

Congratulations on selling some items. I'm still having difficulty selling items. I have had the weirdest responses. One guy wanted me to trade my tablet for a broken doll he was selling on eBay...what the heck? Then, I sold that, but the buyer didn't pay, relisted it, sold it again, and the buyer had to be prompted several times both by me and also eBay, to pay. Forget the other items. It seems people want everything for nothing, plus to meet up, or even deliver it.

Is the smart box the same as a pod? I know my mom had discussed using pods when she moved, but I don't think she ended up doing that. They deliver them (like cargo containers, although some look different depending on the size/purpose, I suppose), you pack them, then the company picks them up and transports them to the other site, or stores them at their location for a period of time. I personally wish I had the money to pay someone to pack and move me, but then again, the last time I did that, as I mentioned elsewhere, they didn't pay attention, and packed up my entire wallet full of cash.

I definitely need to go through things. I'm waiting until the weather cools off and I'm feeling a bit more energetic, then I'm hoping to downsize. I really hope that involves some incoming cash, not just donating everything, but it may come down to that, if I get sick enough of looking at these things.

Chrissy Cross and K E Gordon like this.
  23. K E Gordon

Registered

@Diane Lane a tablet for a broken doll, hmmm I guess he thought he was on the barter section of craigslist.I really think in selling it is important to add the caveat "Serious inquires only" I know I keep getting emails in regard to the tennis rackets..and then the people mysteriously seem to disappear into cyberspace. No matter, I can sell them for more at the store. I have an Ipod with qn alarm clock charger I would like to sell, and 35 dollars seems very reasonable as I paid a bundle for these items when they were new...but no takers, at least not so far. I am not gonna give them away..they is cheap enough! Maybe I should look online and see what a used electronic buyer would offer.

Diane Lane likes this.
  24. K E Gordon

Registered

@Diane Lane oh, in regard to the smartbox, I am not really sure how it works, but I am going to look into it. You and I are in the same boat, as we don't have the cash to do the things we need. All the jobs around here are fairly loathesome...but I am hoping to get back into the mystery shopping apartment gigs I used to do. That was pretty flexible and fun, and mostly done online as well.

Diane Lane likes this.
  25. Diane Lane

Registered

@K E Gordon I wouldn't mind doing some mystery shopping as long as it didn't involve paying money up front, and was done online. I wouldn't mind doing some in person, but not until I have more stable transportation. Yes, it would be great to pull in a little money and knock out some of the tasks I can't do, and fix a few things, as well, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Hopefully if I can ever get beyond these medical bills, I can get back on an even keel.

The broken doll swap offer was on one of the sales apps. I haven't listed anything for sale on Craigslist in a while. Back when I did, all I got was scammers, and it seems they have migrated to the sales apps now. I got the guy using a female name who was placed by the app in Flint, MI, yet claimed he/she was in Bacliff, which is about 3-4 towns over, then later in Kemah, which is even closer, who wanted to meet me at night, after dark, to pick up the tablet. I said nope, not after dark, message me tomorrow, never heard back. Same thing with some other items, both fashion accessories & also household goods. They really expect to get things for nothing and also for people to jump through hoops for them. I will probably end up donating a lot of the stuff, but not until I try a few more times to sell it. On the sales apps, it seems the newest items take precedence, and the others are pushed to the bottom, so some people keep listing their items over and over, without deleting the older listings. That happened in the Facebook groups also, but there, there are moderators who at least try to enforce the rules.