I. R. S. Attacks Veterans Charity Group, Revokes Non-profit Status.

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Yvonne Smith, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A few days ago, the veterans group called Veterans for a Strong America asked Donald Trump if he could say a few words for the organization while he was in California for the last presidential debate.
    Since Trump actively supports veterans, he agreed to speak, and the event was hosted on the USS Iowa, and all of the proceeds went to help the vets charity organization after expenses.

Now, the IRS has revoked the non-profit status for the Veterans for a Strong America, even though they only used the money to pay for the expenses of hosting the gathering, and the rest was for helping veterans.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-09-16-17-32-17

2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw this mentioned either on Twitter or Facebook. I follow this type of story on both. This isn't the first time that Conservatives and others not friendly to this administration have been targeted by this current IRS. Imagine the outcry from the press if the IRS attacked leftists and revoked the non-profit statuses of their pet organizations? It seems many don't care, and don't understand that when one isn't safe from tyranny, none is.

Sheldon Scott and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Answer comes attached to the above fact, whoever links themselves with Trump may expect whatever nasty thing coming along.

This is why Robert Redford quickly unlinked himself from a misleading saying that could be associate to supporting this presidential aspiring character.

4. Yvonne Smith

What happened to the veteran's group had everything to do with how the IRS conducts itself, and nothing to do with Mr. Trump speaking for the veterans group when they asked him to do so.
    This is not the first time that they have come down on some conservative group, and it seems likely that it is the Obama supporters and the liberals who are pushing this effort to take rights away from conservative groups.

It is pretty obvious that our present government has no interest in protecting veteran's rights.

Sheldon Scott and Diane Lane like this.
  5. Diane Lane

Registered

Oh, this administration will protect the rights of some veterans, and the rights of some of those in active service, as long as those veterans and service members' agendas are in line with their agenda. They won't protect the rights of veterans and service members as a whole, though, because they like to selectively enforce laws and regulations. What many don't seem to realize is that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. They are o.k. with a certain administration pushing beyond what's actually legal, but wouldn't be o.k. with the same actions coming from an administration with a different agenda.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I wonder why Obama's administration would touch that veteran's organization? He had given the Obamacare for everyone including illegal immigrants who can avail of free medicare, much more should be given to those heroes we now call veterans. It's like being too petty since Trump had commented for his support to the veteran's organization and now the IRS would levy a tax (remove the tax exemption). Maybe that is one reason why there are so many Obama haters now.

7. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, this is an unconscionable act! I wonder how Trump has responded. Paying for the charitable event out of his own pocket would not be a problem for him if it would stop the IRS and I'm sure he would be happy to...but is what's-done-is-done going to be the finale?? Our Veterans are already treated poorly enough. Grrr

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

I think that even if Donald Trump paid for the expenses incurred from his speech, it would not change anything at this point, @Lara Moss. The IRS has pulled the group's non-profit status, and that will effect everything that they do, and probably other things that they did as a fundraiser.
    The same thing happened a while back with one of the Tea Party groups, who was targeted by the IRS. They were able to follow the trail directly back to the White House, and I am sure that they could do that with this one, too.
    The veterans are probably not able to fight it like the other group did.

9. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

How crooked and sad is that. Those veterans, bless their hearts, they've been through so much and deserve a show of gratitude beyond any rules and regulations.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Diane Lane

Registered

This administration is poking a bear when they target the military and/or veterans. The fact that they would even do this shows how out of touch with reality they are. That this administration leans away from military and law enforcement is very telling, and goes back to the roots of Obama's friendship with Bill Ayers, a domestic terrorist.