I Love Tea!

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Marie Jean, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I meant to post something more normal but got distracted by the Tetley jingle. I loved that jingle as a kid.

Lipton (black tea) tea bags, among other things, have disappeared from many of the stores around here for over a month. I'm sure it will come back. It seems to be random stuff that disappears. For a long time it was cat food. Then head lettuce, etc, etc.... But there have always been cheap bananas.

So I tried Luzianne tea. Very popular in the South. o_O Thought maybe they improved it since 40 years ago. Nope. Even their iced tea size tea bags won't make one cup of hot tea strong enough you can taste tea.

Then Tetley. I can't remember ever trying Tetley. The tea company has been around since 1837. It's pretty good, but kind of weak also.

I would try some more exotic things, but my tea drinking is more like a habit, chain sipping all day, rather than an occasional special treat.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I, too, love the legacy jingles. I couldn't find any relating to the topic (now I got ♫Roto Rooter♫ stuck in my head), so I'll just put this here:

don meredith tea.jpg

I'm the same as you regarding strong tea. When I use tea bags, I always use 2 per cup, cover the cup with a saucer, and let it steep for at least 5 minutes. If you can see the bottom of the cup through the tea, you're doing it wrong.

Regarding exotic teas: you can buy reasonably priced loose tea online. And I always mention the local ethnic markets. Chinese and Indian markets sell teas at a very good price...like everything else they carry. I've mentioned buying fenugreek seeds in 6 oz. bags at the same per-ounce price as buying a 20# sack at Amazon. Then there's the authentic spices, rice, produce, beans, etc.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  3. John Brunner

The infuser @Yvonne Smith recommended has me making teas again. I've been using it to make an after-dinner Teeccino dessert drink, and for the past week or so I've been making regular black British tea a couple of times during the day. I was grocery shopping in town today, stopped by the Chinese market and picked up a fresh container of Jasmine tea. I'm just sitting down with my first cuppa.

It helps me to continue to cut my coffee consumption way back (I'm at 1/2 of my long-term intake)...and that doesn't take into account the fact that I'm diluting the coffee with brewed chicory.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I was just watching a youtube video of a guy in Ukraine who forged a Damascus steel knife from 300 razor blades. (Yes, sucked in by another "recommended" video. :oops:) Anyway, it was fascinating, especially when he took a break to make tea. I guess I'm out of the tea loop because I had never seen "blooming" tea, made from dry flowers and white tea. Here is a short video (1 min.) of how the blooming tea works. It looks beautiful but I have no idea how it tastes.

And if you've got another 8 minutes to waste, you can observe Shurap forging the knife direct from Ukraine...

Jenna Parnellson and Von Jones like this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Floral/herbal teas are not my preference to drink but their fragrances are lovely.

Impressive knife making video.

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Try Barley tea,not only is it good but good for you.I get mine from the mo' mugi,good hot or iced.It sure makes you feel better.

7. John Brunner

I'm running low on my English breakfast tea, so I went by the Indian market today and picked up a couple of different teas that the woman there said she blends together.

tea.jpg

All of the teas I'm use to are dried shredded leaves. Both of these are teeny tiny BBs. I've never had loose tea like this before. It's very odd. I had to look at the package to make sure I got real tea and not some type of "alternative hot drink substance."

I made a cup when I got home. It's OK, but I either need to up the quantity or brew it longer, since it came out a little weaker than I'm used to. Both of these got good reviews on Amazon, for what that's worth.

8. John Brunner

@Yvonne Smith started a thread about a coffee substitute named Teccino. The are made with barley, chicory, ramón seeds, carob and other things. I've really been enjoying them. They have teas as well, although since Teeccino is made from neither coffee beans nor tea leaves, I'm not sure how they differentiate between "coffee" and "tea." I think the only difference is that the "tea" is in a bag for steeping.

They refer to both their teas and their coffees as "herbals." Some have dandelion and some have mushrooms they refer to as "adaptogens." I'm not well-versed in what this is. They are not classic herbals with oils that may cause heartburn.

I've been drinking them for months now to cut back on my late-day caffeine consumption. The prices buying direct are often a little cheaper than buying from Amazon, and there are a few Teeccino products sold on each site that are not available on the other. I add a little instant chicory to mine to add body. Anyway, since you mentioned barley coffee, I thought you'd be interested in this.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. John Brunner

The floral type teas always seem to give me heartburn. I think they have oils in them that disagree with me. Jasmine tea is an exception.

Von Jones likes this.
  10. John Brunner

After sending Tetley an email inquiring as to the nature of their manufacturing process, I came across what might be the answer on Reddit (the internet is a magical place.) There is a tea processing method referred to as Crush, Tear, Curl (CTC.) Here is what CTC "loose" tea looks like:

[​IMG]

I have some Chinese "gunpowder" tea that is rolled into tight pellets, except it uncurls when it is brewed. This stuff looks like a pile of coffee grounds after it's brewed. It's "different."

Since this is interesting tea information, and the Wiki page is relatively short, I'll paste the whole thing here. summarize it.

***********************************************************​

Crush, tear, curl (sometimes cut, tear, curl) is a method of processing tea leaves into black tea in which the leaves are passed through a series of cylindrical rollers with hundreds of sharp teeth that crush, tear, and curl the tea into small, hard pellets. The first CTC machine was brought into service in 1930.

Today, most black teas produced use the CTC method. CTC orthodox has a finished product that is well suited for tea bags, as the product quickly gives a dark brew. [The CTC method allows for high quality teas to be offered in single-serving tea bags.]

CTC-type teas now enjoy a near-monopoly in South Asia. Over 80% of tea production in India is of the CTC type. In the export market, particularly in the CIS, the Middle East, United Kingdom and Ireland, CTC teas continue to be the most highly in demand.

The drawback of the CTC method is that it tends by its nature to homogenize all black tea flavors. It is easy to adulterate a more expensive CTC-type tea with inexpensive and generally mild lowland teas of the same process. Whole and broken leaf teas by contrast are quite varied in appearance, making adulteration more difficult.

***********************************************************​

So CTC seems to be the norm these days, albeit with some compromise of quality. The second cup I made tastes fine, and without doing a side-by-side comparison, I would not consider the CTC to make an inferior cuppa.

By way of comparison:
    -The Wagh Bakri (Indian) CTC tea is $6.50 per pound.
    -The Tetley CTC tea is $8.50 per pound.
    -The English Breakfast loose tea I've had currently sells for $16-$21 per pound.
    -Other loose black teas sell for $40-$70 (and higher) per pound.
    --None of the tea websites I've bought from sell CTC tea.

It's possible that the higher cost of the loose teas is at least partially attributable to the lack of economies-of-scale.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
    Von Jones likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I get a thirst for tea a few times a year and might drink more tea than coffee for a week or so, but then I'm back to coffee. After a while, it seems that tea just isn't substantial. Coffee is easier, anyhow. I drink at least a few cups of tea a week, more if I can count iced tea.

Von Jones likes this.
  12. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I drank many teas for many years. Was forever buying this herbal, that herbal, it went on and on. For the last probably 5 yrs or more I've lost my interest in tea. I threw out a lot of teas I had in a collection of teas, now it's my one cup of high test morning coffee in AM and water thru the day.

Von Jones and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

I got my English Breakfast tea yesterday. What a world of difference!! I am too ashamed to admit how old my existing stash of this tea was...let's just say it was north of 10 years. The fresh batch tastes better.

I only use about 60% of the amount I use when brewing the cheaper CTC, so that narrows the cost difference by quite a bit.

I got the English Breakfast tea at EnglishTeaStore.com, where they also sell British candy, chocolates, cookies, biscuits, cakes, puddings, jams, spreads, clotted cream, teacups, etc.

Jenna Parnellson and Von Jones like this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been having some Earl Gray with honey since I got this sinus infection. It's OK but it's not coffee.

upload_2023-12-4_0-9-56.png

15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

That's funny, Beth. So it's not 'just' a headache? I had that too. If you let it go for too long it gets into the bloodstream really not good.