I Keep Calling The Firemen

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Julie Stewart, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

... Dany got a new mobile phone this morning. His old one was 9 years old, the number '4' key didn't work and the tired old battery needed charging daily.

So he splashed out all of 20 euros (about 22$ - no it's not a smart phone ...). We each have a very basic phone and each only pay 2 euros a month for 4 hours of calls and unlimited texts. Our children and grandchildren think it's quaint but embarrassing.

I was helping Dany set up some stuff on the phone and accidentally called the local Sapeurs-Pompiers - the paramedic/firemen. I'm not sure how it happened - but it happened 6 times. On the 4th call they didn't ask what the emergency was, they just said "Bonjour Madame Stewart".

Dany thinks I'm after finding a toy-boy .........

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Hilarious! :D

Julie Stewart likes this.
  3. Julie Stewart

Registered

I know! I did it again this afternoon - I was watching Roland Garros on TV, minding my own business when I heard a muffled voice saying "Madame Stewart? Madame Stewart" - Dany's phone was under a cushion on the sofa, I had sat on it and my bottom had called my pool of potential toy-boys ....

.... I'll probably get fined for wasting their time.

Diane Lane and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

They do fine for that over here. It sounds as if you live in a smaller area, though, and perhaps they enjoy the break from the normal routine. If it happened with any other number, it might be a good idea to block it, but that's definitely not a number you want to block. It seems they have a sense of humor about it, which is good. Just make sure if something really does happen and you actually need them, you scream very loudly :p.

Julie Stewart likes this.
  5. Julie Stewart

Registered

Yes, we live in a small town. Maybe if we lived in a big city their patience would be more limited! We've worked out how to lock the keypad so that we can't dial anybody by accident anymore - but we can still call emergency services with the touch of one button when needed.

I called the fireman to tell them that we'd solved the problem .......

6. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

they are strange. years back before iphones when we first had wireless i bought an ATT phone. the salesman warned me if it ever died it would dial 911 just before crashing. thought he was pulling my leg.
    one day in my garage I heard sirens and squad cars and paramedics pulled in my driveway. I checked the phone. dead as a door nail. I made a full apology. but when i told them what happened, they looked at each other thinking my cheese had slide off its cracker