Hurricane Harvey

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Yvonne Smith, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't think that this is a racial thing. We have people that have come into this country illegally, and the only Mexicans who would not want to be checked through would probably be the illegal ones. So it is not a matter of race, but of whether they are here illegally. If they are checking documents of everyone going through, then that is not discrimination.

Joe Riley likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

True. Thanks.

3. Yvonne Smith

Registered

I just got a message from @Ina I. Wonder , and she is still at her house. I think that I mentioned that the people she was sheltering have been picked up by rescue workers, so it is now just Ina and her grandson (Bobert) again. Yesterday, she was attacked by ants when she went outside to try and help the people get loaded into the rescue boat, and she said that she is sore and has a fever; so she is just going to rest today.
    I was getting worried because I hadn't heard from her since yesterday; but didn't want to call because I hoped she was just catching up on rest and sleep. My Find Friends app showed that she was still at home, and when I checked the link that is for the bayou water graph, it showed that the water has been going down significantly, so that is good news, too.
    It looks like, unless they get a lot more rain, maybe the worst of the flooding is done near Houston.
    The path of TS Harvey shows it will be heading northeast, and we will be getting rain and storms for the rest of the week here by tomorrow.

Gloria Mitchell likes this.
  4. Spencer Berrett

Registered

When my In-laws were flooded out by the Teton Dam flood decades ago, they lost just about everything, including their home. What was in the attic was safe, the main floor and the basement were not. The flood came with only 30 minutes warning to get to high ground, which they did. All of their personal keepsakes were pretty much destroyed or lost, stuff that cannot be replaced like pictures, guns, art, letters, wedding dress, etc.

That's my first flood experience back in the '80s. We visited a week later & the devastation was incredible. TV doesn't even come close to express the scope of the disaster. God bless those people, please!

Yvonne Smith and Gloria Mitchell like this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith , tell @Ina I. Wonder to take some Benadryl if she has it. That will help counteract the allergic reaction to the ant bites. If she doesn't have that, she can take some other kind of antihistamine.

Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Registered

I passed that information along to her , and Ina also asked me to thank everyone here who has been praying and worrying about her. Hopefully, a day's rest will help her a lot, and she will be better again by tomorrow. Her health was in no way ready to have to deal with this hurricane and flooding, so we need to still keep her in our prayers for recovery.

Joe Riley likes this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Absolutely.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Having gone through that checkpoint many time, with or without Mexican-American friends, they don't seem to be focusing on any particular group of people.

9. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Well-Known Member
    Registered

This is a case where the illegals probably know the law better than most Americans. The border patrol has been given the go ahead twice in the past 40 years by the Supreme Court to profile... based on race. The ACLU has repeatedly tried to get this overturned, but given both Supreme Court decisions were made by a "liberal" court, the likelihood of change in the current environment is practically nil.
    The border patrol area of operation...
    upload_2017-8-29_14-35-39.png

https://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrant...hecking-border-patrol-checkpoints-stop-racial

From the Liberal Court...
    Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gunar-olsen/how-the-supreme-court-aut_b_9061838.html

10. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

the inevitable looting takes place. the Gov has ordered in the Guard with orders to shoot.

52" of rain i hear is a national record

11. Gary Ridenour

Registered

12. Gary Ridenour

Registered

[​IMG]
    Beneath this flag...lies the body of a true American Hero. A 30 year veteran Houston Police Officer, Sgt. Steve Perez drowned in his patrol car while searching for victims of Hurricane Harvey. May you rest in peace brother...you are not forgotten.

13. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was referring to all races helping and aiding in getting out of flood waters and getting to higher ground.Of giving and assisting each other in many ways during a crisis.:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Well-Known Member
    Registered

Here is the link to the Houston area Hydrologic map. If you hover the pointer over each circle, it should cause the local reading to pop up.
    For reference the following map indicates points of reference.
    A. indicates areas in and around lakes that are overflowing, but they flow westward to the San Jacinto river.
    B. is upstream on Green's Bayou and is now below flood stage.
    C. is the approximate gauge nearest to @Ina I. Wonder, and should soon be below flood stage.
    D. is downstream on Green's Bayou. It appears to be broken but the estimated rate of fall indicates it is falling as well.
    upload_2017-8-29_22-11-38.png
    The purple areas south and east of Houston flow into buffalo bayou which in turns flows into the San Jacinto. The Green's Bayou flows into buffalo bayou as well. The buffalo bayou could be slowing the rate of fall for Green's Bayou.
    The weather forecast indicates a possible 50% chance of rain in the early morning hours of Wednesday and not much thereafter or before.
    The really big question in the days to come will be who had damage and did not have flood insurance? Everything I read indicates that only 15% of Houston property owners had flood insurance. Am I correct in assuming that @Ina I. Wonder did not sustain flood damage?

15. Yvonne Smith

Registered

From what Ina has told me, she did not have flooding inside of her house; but she had around 3' of water in her yard. I am concerned about her Kia Sportage.
    Three feet would have to put the water up into the part where the doors are, and well into the engine and transmission areas of her vehicle. It is a newer model vehicle, so maybe it is watertight, and since it has not been started, maybe no water can get into the engine either.
    If there is damage to the vehicle, maybe it is covered by her homeowners or her automobile policy.
    Popssibly, there could be damage to the outside of her house; but until she can actually get outside to look at everything, it might be hard for her to tell.

Joe Riley likes this.
  16. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Now we have lots of merchants raising their prices sky high too! How sad that a person could take advantage of people in a time of crisis.

Since this is not allowed during times like this...I wonder what they do to the merchants who are doing this? Do they just slap them with a fine? If so that sure doesn't help those they cheated get back the extra money they had to pay for things.

17. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't read this thread, but after seeing the devastation in Houston and the warnings that it's heading towards Louisiana today and tomorrow, I just wanted to check that any of you who live in those areas are ok...

18. Ken Anderson

Registered

The principle of supply and demand should dictate that where the supply is lower, the prices are higher. It makes sense to me that if I am running a store and I am down to one shelf full of bottled water, and cannot restock because of a storm, that water is more valuable, and I should be able to charge more.

19. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good morning!!! We made it. I finally was able to sleep yesterday. I can't remember ever being so tired before. The work wasn't all that bad, but the mental stress was unbelievable.

Out of the 90 something house in this circle of homes, my place, and the one I sold next door, managed to survive Harvey with what I consider minimal damage. I won't know the extent of the damage until we can walk the property.

The only water I actually got inside my home was a little water that seeped up through the hardwood floors, but I think a few good moppings with bleach water will help keep the mold away. I am so glad that this place is on piers. I think this is why we made it.

Today the plan is to get some more rest, and maybe to try and start my car. I wonder just how long I should wait before try to start it.

I truly thank each of you for your prayers, many people have lost so much and some everything, but most of us are alive.

Today, Houston turns 181 years old.

20. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Ken Anderson, first off, thank you for keeping Texas in your prayers.

Here, once a castastrophy has been declared, the prices are set at the price before the declaration. The fines are huge if you get caught gouging.

Those that are caught looting have been promised jail time if they are not shot.

21. Ken Anderson

Registered

Yes, I know. I lived in Texas for more than twenty years. I have always thought this was unfair to sellers though.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  22. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

OMG!!! @Ina I. Wonder , firstly thank the Lord you're safe....but secondly, I can hardly believe that only your house and another has survived out of 90 houses... OMG, I'm trying to compute that in my Brain. Have you got help?...do you have family who are checking on you and helping . You definitely need rest that's for sure, and I hope you can get your house dried out and the car is still working OK... OH my , I'm really upset you were right in the eye of it..I wish I was closer and could help!!:eek::(..Thank God you're ok!!

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  23. Ken Anderson

Registered

24. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

They are talking about FEMA now, but one thing I haven't heard referenced to is; If you do have flood insurance, do you still file with FEMA? I do have full home owners and auto insurance, and that includes flood insurance. Anyone know if I should file with FEMA if I have already filed with my insurance company, which I did this morning, and I have home and auto insurance claim numbers. But of course I forgot to ask that question, and it took two days just to get to speak to anyone.

So, ????, anyone.

25. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I definitely see things different here Ken. To rip people off when they are already in crisis...is simply not right to me.