Human Immortality By 2045. Possible?

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

image.png
    Some of you may have already read about this stunning possibility; but I just learned about it tonight, and was looking at the website that is working towards human immortality.
    The plan has several phases, and we are in phase #1 right now. The picture explains what each phase will consist of.
    If this is possible, and indeed it sounds like they are working on it already, then it seems to me that within the next 50 years, mankind , as we know it, will have ceased to exist.
    Even before then, there will be people who will be living longer lives, but as basically some kind of a cyborg, as they move into the final phases of transformation.

This might seem like a wonderful thing to some people; but as a Christian, this is pretty alarming to me. I believe that God created us in His image, just as the Bible says he did. If we become some kind of artificial mind and body, then we are no longer the humans that God created.
    More information is at the website, 2045.com . For some reason, I could not get the link to work right; but it is easy to find.

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

What I have in mind about immortality is the herbs that could possibly increase our lifespan by preventing the onset of ageing. Getting old gives the ailments the opportunity to beset our bodies. But if we have younger bodies then we would be free from diseases and sickness, meaning we can remain healthy even at age 100... if those herbal supplements are true to its promise.

Unfortunately, the fountain of youth is still elusive until now. But I know that man is trying to find that holy grail of immortality. Good luck.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Well I don't want to go on longer than I'm meant to - the world will not improve ............. will it ................?

4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

2045? I'll only be 103.

Chrissy Cross and Patsy Faye like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't see it happening in such a short time span at all. We do keep evolving and adapting naturally anyway.

Look at the differences of what 65 is now and what it was in the 1900's. Were are living longer. Looking younger
    Some with the benefit of plastic surgery, we already aren't like the original people of the Bible days.

Some people have pacemakers, organ transplants, etc.

More and more will be discovered but not in 50 years to be a hologram like avatar. A little far fetched.

6. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Immortality will never happen. I believe, and hope, that we will be able to stretch our lifespans.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

We already have stretched our lifespans, so I'm sure we can stretch them some more but I really don't want to live to be 100 unless I feel like a 40 year old and look like one too.

A wrinkled prune in a wheelchair just doesn't appeal to me. Living and existing are separate things in my opinion.

8. Yvonne Smith

From reading the article, and looking at the information alongside of the picture; it would appear that the proposed goal would turn out to be something like happened in the movie, Avatar.
    I am not quite sure how the people in the movie could be in a virtual reality world, and still be acting out a real life on the planet; but that is what I think of when reading the description of a human brain, or even the personality, being put into some kind of an avatar.
    If the avatar is a living entity, like a cloned replica of the person, then it should still age; but would give a significantly longer lifespan, and by the end of that lifespan, they would have developed the hologram avatar.
    If we ever get to that point, then it seems to me that we would all just be living in some kind of virtual reality, and no longer really humans at all.

9. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

At the rate I am going, I am sure to be completely broke by 100, unless something radical happens...and lets hope it does!! I really don't want to live forever at all. It isn't that I would relish dying, but being old is gonna be no picnic, and I really don't want to live forever in an old body. I mean how would the world even support people who did not die? The earth is already over populated. Maybe we don't see it so much in North America, but overcrowding is prevalent in any places.

10. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Who would want to live forever fat, dumb and ugly? Not me.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

But if you're skinny, smart, pretty and modest like me, then why not? Hahahaha

Sheldon Scott and Ike Willis like this.
  12. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

I'd be 103 yrs old. OMG. Oh well I want to give all my kids grief, and grandkids too. the one boy tells me he was going to keep me alive for as long as he could! I'd tell him be careful what you wish for:eek:

Sheldon Scott and Ike Willis like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

If a viable technology is developed, I am sure that it will be available to the very rich and powerful only.

Ike Willis likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Probably, until the generic version comes out 50 years later.

What's the point of being Rich if you don't have special perks? Except for a few, the Rich work pretty hard I think.

Look at movie stars....being on movie sets, knowing lines, I wouldn't want to do that. Look at Trump...he's busy almost every day...sure they have luxuries but most dont vacation all year long.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Sheldon Scott likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

That is actually what they are working towards with this project. It is not just a way of making people be healthier and live longer lives, but an actual slow progressive way of turning us from real people into some kind of a brain living with a virtual body in an avatar.
    Then, the next step seems to be that the avatar will have an artificial brain with the human personality, and the last step would be a total artificial intelligence.
    At that point, any leftover humans would probably end up being kept in zoos along with other real-life forms (animals) as something for the robot world to look at .
    The idea is both incredible and apalling to me.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Ike Willis and Chrissy Cross like this.