How Was Your Day? Come And Share With Us

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Holly Saunders, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders No AC or fans at your work? I would not be able to stand that for sure and that's the truth! :eek: I feel like I can't breathe when I don't have the ceiling fans circulating the air in the rooms.

My morning has started off with my Honey waking me up to drive him to work at 4:30am. When I got back I poured my mug of coffee, added my new mocha almond fudge creamer to it and enjoyed every drop of it. :) It's a dreary day over here and we are supposed to get rain off and on, so I'm not doing to much of anything today. I may even go back to sleep for awhile because for some reason I just can't not seem to wake up all the way this morning.

Holly Saunders and Terry Page like this.
  2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

The day went well with some reading about the places we are visiting at the weekend, plus another batch of potato pancakes, this time with carrots which went down well, I will try adding apple and cinnamon tomorrow and see how that turns out, maybe served with sugar and sour cream [​IMG]

I hope you all enjoyed or are enjoying your day

Todays dranikis

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Terry Page

Registered

The rest of the day went well like a typical Sunday which I thought it was [​IMG] ... so I guess tomorrow will be a Monday ......I hope you are all having a great day, whatever day it seems...

I didn't get around to doing any apple potato fritters, but we had bangers and mash with a leftover from yesterdays potato fritters.

[​IMG]

Von Jones and Clare Smith like this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Tummy yummy !

Terry Page likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

No, none at all Babs ...even the windows are tightly shut so I have to open our street doors just to let some air in. It's overwhelmingly hot at times.

Today our temps were mid 80's F...with 81 deg Humidity.... It was my day off so I spent some time working in the garden this morning..kept having to come indoors because the humidity was so high,. Took a cold shower...then took my car to the car wash, and as it is close to the park and the lakes I went and sat down and quietly contemplated just watching the ducks and Canada geese going about their business...

Not many sailing boats on the lake today because it's midweek, and everyone's at work or school..but it was nice just having a stroll and taking photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left the park...and did the grocery shopping at the supermarket... and got home about 5 o'clock, just before rush hour... back into the shower... and thankfully I have ceiling fans in all the rooms in this house ..

It's supposed to be hotter tomorrow, and even more on friday when I'm back at work.. and the weekend..

6. Clare Smith

Clare Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, hectic day, Holly! Answering to your question, I own my business and as people say today, I'm a 'teacherpreneur'. I have an office downtown and people outsource my services: translations, versions, abstracts for papers, private Portuguese lessons for foreigners, and English as a second language - through Skype or in my office. In the past I used to work for public and private schools and English institutes - or English schools. One day I realized I could make more $ opening my own business. I did it, and since then I've diversified my area and I've been successful, although it's a lot of work and responsibility. I love it though. That's why I travel abroad every other year, to update my skills and to practice them. Next year I'll start a second activity, which will be 'Learning Portuguese in the South of Brazil ' for 5 days, including homestaying, private Portuguese lessons in the morning and tours in the afternoon, with visits to museums, restaurants with typical food, and much more...☺ Then, I'll try to do that twice a year, i.e. those 2 weeks I'll not do anything else, but just hosting my guest.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Terry Page and Holly Saunders like this.
  7. Clare Smith

Clare Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

Beautiful photos! Just love the ducks and the geese from the North. We don't have that kind here...

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Terry Page

Registered

What an interesting life you have @Clare Smith I travel a lot, but just for leisure/pleasure but you are combining it with an occupation [​IMG]

Clare Smith likes this.
  9. Holly Saunders

Registered

I second what Terry said @Clare Smith ...fabulously interesting , job which you sound like you thoroughly enjoy.

I have a an English friend who does a very similar thing in Spain and has done now for about 30 years ...

Clare Smith and Terry Page like this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Registered

It's been very hot..and still here at 6pm... it's all relative of course because this would be a cool day for @Clare Smith ..or those who live in the hottest parts of the USA...a friend who lives in California was just saying yesterday that they have 107 degrees...wow!!:eek:

However for us, it's been a very hot sunny day... up in the high 80's nudging 90... with humidity today at around the mid 60's..

I've done very little today apart from chores...took delivery of parcels... and then this afternoon drove over to the hospital for the results of my recent MRI scan..

The waiting room in the clinic was extremely busy...with one very inefficient ceiling fan and no AC...so people were slumped in their seats it was so sticky and humid.

Anyway once out we drove straight to the pub and had a late lunch sitting outside in the garden and a nice big glass of cold blackcurrant juice.

It's almost 6pm now... still very sunny, temps have dropped slightly...but tomorrow is going to be as hot and I'm back into work with no AC or fans .. *Yikes*.... roll on my holidays..I can't wait, only another 2 weeks to go... :D

11. Terry Page

Registered

The day is nearly over here at 8:30pm, we went for lunch at our regular Georgian restaurant and had a very good meal, with a couple of starters, roasted vegetables and baked aubergine (eggplant), stuffed with a walnut pate which was delicious, it's the second time we have had it, the first was when Katya ordered it here a month ago.

The mains were a pasta and pork dish which I have posted before.

Our suitcase is packed ready for an early start tomorrow, we have to be at the train station a 10 minute walk away for 5am, so it means getting up at 3:30am [​IMG] so we will be off to bed very soon....

Hope you are all having as good a day as possible...

[​IMG]

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

IMG_5080.JPG
    Even when some parts of life wilt on the vine...other parts bloom. It was a rotten day personal wise but life was still blooming all around me and that always gives me hope for a better day tomorrow. :)
    IMG_5064.JPG

13. Terry Page

Registered

Good evening from Suzdal, we had another long but not so arduous day [​IMG] we ended up at a restaurant called Ogurets, cucumber in translation, where they do unusual things with cucumbers, like frying them and making jam, which we tried and liked.
    We relaxed in the restaurant having exhausted any more places to visit, so we ate and drank too much, eventually staggering back to the hotel where we have been dozing [​IMG]
    Tomorrow we leave Suzdal and head back to Vladimir for two nights before catching the trains back to St.Petersburg..

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.... [​IMG]

14. Terry Page

Registered

Good evening friends, hope your weekend is/has gone well, after an early breakfast we went for a walk to a 12th century monastery some 3 miles down the road. We then went by car to Vladimir where we are based for the last two nights of our long weekend break.

It's an interesting old city dating back to 1158 and Laureen, the owner of the apartment we have rented is also interesting, she is an American woman from California, who met her Russian husband in Egypt while she was on holiday, they got married some 4 years ago in Cuba where he was working for a Russian airline company.
    They have lived here for 3 years but intend to move to St.Petersburg soon for the education of their two young children.
    Though she is fluent in Russian, she is missing American life a lot, so the future looks a bit uncertain to my mind [​IMG]

A few paintings on travel.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  15. Terry Page

Registered

Good evening to you all, we are back home at last, the journey went smoothly and we arrived in St.Petersburg on the dot. During the train ride here we tried out the system they have of ordering food and drinks with your smartphone, so I put in an order for two cappuccinos giving our seat numbers and within a couple of minutes they arrived as if by magic [​IMG] I love gadgets when they work .....

Boarding the train in Moscow ....

[​IMG]

While in Moscow waiting for our connecting train we had lunch at a nice restaurant choosing a typical Russian pork stew....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I feel I am suffering from sensory overload, having visited so many places steeped in ancient history during the last few days, we have visited so many churches and monasteries that I was in danger of being converted. [​IMG] ...........a funny story concerning the last convent we visited in Vladimir, which goes back to the 12th century and is decorated with beautiful frescoes painted by the famous icon artist Andrei Rublev (1360-1430).
    While sitting in the cathedral enjoying the lovely peaceful atmosphere, a nun approached us and started a conversation with Lisa, which I learnt later after Lisa translated it for me........... went like this, ...........Nun to Lisa, do you realise sitting with your legs crossed in a church, is a mortal sin and a serious affront god, the nun then suggested Lisa prayed for forgiveness, but while Lisa willingly uncrossed her legs she said as a non-believer she wouldn't pray.

The conversation then went on to the meaning of life and the passage of the soul after death. It was all very civil with no animosity and though the nun who had a kind face and kept smiling at me, I could see Lisa was bored and so was I not understanding a word, so I asked for some holy water.............. the nun immediately directed us to a holy spring on the river bank some 500 yards around the back of the convent.

We made our way to the spring, but on finding it involved going down a steep staircase to be greeted by more nuns at the bottom, we thought better of it and caught a taxi back to Vladimir, where we had a beer at a riverside cafe...maybe the holy water would have done me more good, but the beer lifted my spirits.... [​IMG]

The Convent:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.........part of the original wall built in 1158

[​IMG]
    Photographs of the interior were sadly not allowed